FFVII Remake - Sephiroth & Genesis

WarEnvoy

Chocobo Breeder
Gil
Heavy spoilers mentions & alert!!

Well looking up onto the FFVII Remake, I've been reminiscing the FFVII beginning from CC to the Originals to AC & DoC. Despite many excitement/anticipation I feel..I am still anxious about how the FFVII will eventually put to a close thus I would like to open some topic in discussion.

This thread may go a different directions but no worries I will bring it back to the direct title.

Case in point about the remake, I was concerned if in FFVII remake 'Genesis Rhapsodos' will be included in the REMAKE as it will definitely disrupt the entire flow of the backstory. If he will be so, then we will have to be prepared about the new FF to completely overshadow the original classic FFVII. This will be a heavy risk for SE to take..If I would like to emphasize heavy.

With that in mind, we need to be prepared that the REMAKE possibly will be a greater story if not as compared to the originals will be a tragic fall in the masterpiece. This is because it is very hard for an additional character introduction in CC which is a prequel to the original, to completely just slip in and out quietly into FFVII remake without much acknowledgement of his existence, considering he has a big role in CC.

Following up I do not have much thoughts on how Genesis will be delivered or not in the new remake. However, in continuity, AC being independent is fine. However in DoC, Genesis is mentioned again in the secret ending.

Thus in conclusion, in CC Genesis hold a role in 'pushing' Sephiroth deceiving and leading further to his false belief that he is a Cetra. so chances are FFVII Remake...he will pop up.
Advent Children Sephiroth quote "He will not remain just a memory"
DoC ending is left with a cliffhanger with Genesis on the loose quote "Not yet time for slumber, much work left to do"

So isn't also an opportune period to bring about a final sequel after DoC to close the entire Final Fantasy VII series in its conclusion of this masterpiece of a game?

What do you think Genesis included in the remake?
What about having a final sequel for FFVII closure?
A story about redemption for Sephiroth or better off stays as an antagonist?
Better left as a memory in Advent Children or not?
If a final sequel appears, will Genesis be a threat? Sephiroth as a Protagonist/Deuteragonist?
What are your thoughts with regards to these? Do share your thoughts!

Cheers!

P.S. If eventually FFVII is finished completed both the remake and the originals nicely done. I can finally scratch a check on my bucket list.

Last edited:
Where the FFVII remake itself is concerned I personally would like as little Crisis Core references as possible. I’ve said many times that the character of Genesis (along with Hollander and Angeal) detracts from the impact of Sephiroth as a unique villain.

I feel that all of the FFVII Compilation games have contributed towards cheapening Sephiroth, whereas in the context of the original game Sephiroth wasn’t a bad villain at all. I found him quite interesting at times.

Since it is likely that they will add references to Genesis and FFVII Compilation material, we just have to hope that they do it as respectfully as possible. I hope that the remake has the feel of FFVII rather than the FFVII Compilation (which was really quite different).

As for the idea of a possible sequel or closure for the series (maybe as an add-on to the remake game?), this is interesting. I have no serious desire for one, but if they did it then I really do not think that Genesis should be the primary antagonist. He’s just not that important or imposing enough, even though he is alive and it is hinted at in DoC that he shall return.

Genesis is just a small part of a much bigger force. Although deceased, the much more important and powerful force in the FFVII universe is Jenova. FFVII has largely been about the devastating and degenerating impact of alien cells being introduced into the world.

Genesis is really just a poet and a soldier who happened to have some of these cells and mutated, but still loved his apples (because biblical imagery...).

The legendary hero Sephiroth who fell from grace after discovering (albeit misinformed) of his origins, twisting his mind, and leading him on a path of destruction, was a much better story and I believe him to be a better villain than Genesis.

But even Sephiroth may not be past redemption. If the party can appeal to the human inside Sephiroth, then maybe he can redeem himself. But how far gone is Sephiroth? Once he threw himself into the Lifestream at Nibelheim did he lose all of his remaining humanity? Is Sephiroth now just a dark force whose only mission is to follow his own twisted radical beliefs? Or is there some of the hero left in Sephiroth? Some of the human?

Would Sephiroth be able to pull through for a more important cause? If so, what could that be? Genesis? That’s not likely. Genesis isn’t going to be very important to Sephiroth. I’d say that Jenova is the more important thing, and Sephiroth has taken to manipulating the cells of Jenova to achieve his own goals (though sometimes dressed up as if he is carrying out his 'mother's will').

Perhaps Jenova herself could regenerate. Despite being 'dead' throughout the entire FFVII Compilation, the game suggests that Jenova still has consciousness of sorts (speaking to Cloud, etc), and her cells are still living and have lives of their own. Perhaps Jenova could reform and regain some of her immense power and start off on her own destructive efforts. In so doing, perhaps she might conflict with Sephiroth, or attempt to control him in the way he had controlled aspects of her corpse. Maybe Jenova's rebirth awaken's Sephiroth's consciousness and he begins to become self-aware in a more honest and less fanatical way, opening up a chance for his redemption.

I'm not sure. I don't think many people would really want to see Sephiroth turn Vegeta and become pals with Cloud, or marry Yuffie or something.. But if they did this, then I think that only Jenova is a villain worthy enough to be the capital villain of the entire FFVII franchise. Shinra have already largely redeemed themselves, so AVALANCHE's concerns with the environment and oppressive corporate greed are less pressing. The most serious woes of the FFVII planet started with the invasion of the alien Jenova, and they should perhaps end with her.

Great post,

What do you think Genesis included in the remake?

I think that would be fun for those who liked the compilation. however I don't think he should get a cut-scene or anything but at very least a few hits, references or a non cannon secret boss fight under midgar. someone you can face a boss you can beat but not effecting the story.

What about having a final sequel for FFVII closure?

I would love to see what they come up with but as much as I like them I don't know how Weiss and Genesis are gonna cut it. I feel like Square is gonna bring back seph or multiple people to even Attempt to make the Sequel anywhere near as memorable as FF7

When the Remake was originally announced, there was heavy discussion about Genesis and peoples concerns about his appearance.

I literally STOPPED playing Crisis Core the SECOND Genesis got involved in the Zack/Sephiroth scene at the Mako Reactor on Mt Nibel. His presence in this EXTREMELY iconic scene that he had nothing to do with originally was just to much for me. I was furious.

Moving on though, when this discussion first surfaced after E3 I recall someone stating that there where issues with the character and lawsuits regarding the pop-star his character was based on. It went on to say that even if they WANTED to put him in, it wouldn't be allowed for some reason, like the only obtained the 'rights' for Crisis Core and DoC. I haven't seen this mentioned since I first read it but God I hope it is correct.

I don't want him in my remake. Not as a main character, not as an optional boss, not as a nod. (But I don't think this is going to happen unfortunately. He will likely be in it)

Thanks everyone for your input again!

Hearing from different angles,
I have actually on my personal thought and taste, concluded that the all FFVII games in compilation are better off independent.
I gotta give @Dionysos credit for the well-written post above.

When CC came out, knowing there's going to be a backstory behind Zack, I figured it is brilliant.
If only Angeal & Genesis were to be left as an independent character and concluded within CC, introducing the Trio is a fine touch for me as it'll show that Sephiroth was more human before he became delusional.
As @Tay mentioned, I agree too, when I saw Genesis appeared and got involved in Nibelheim storyline, I know that That Move; was also a big No-go for me. CC is a brilliant game, but definitely too much unnecessary character backstory involvement that conflicts on the Originals.

For AC and DoC, I shared before that it doesn't have much contradicting backstory with the Classic and they made it pretty clean so they are fine on their own, I wouldn't mind actually if FFVII Series Compilation ended with DoC.

That is also why I agree to Sakaguchi's ideal touch that FF should stay independently without sequels.

Nevertheless, since the Father of FF isn't directing the house,
My bold decision still lies that I will still place the Classic above the Remake

A Quick Trailer on the Remake is out, showing a beautiful new upgrade especially in terms of graphics, but there are just other personal preference and factors that I have on my own that I felt will not match up to the Classic and that Genesis and Sephiroth conflict at Nibelheim is going to rub the Remake and the Classic storyline in different directions is just one of them.

This remake may be a success and S.E. may sustain for quite awhile, and I'll probably still dig the Remake.
However, I just feel it wouldn't have the special element and *impact* as compared to back when Sakaguchi was around.

You all seem to be forgetting that Gackt's contract to Square-Enix ended years ago. They don't have the right to use his likeness anymore. And I'll admit, since growing up, I've come to dislike his constant spouting of bad poetry. And he can't exactly stop doing that as it's central to his character.

I hope Genesis doesn't even get a joke reference. He's easily the absolute worst part of Crisis Core, and any scene he was in was nearly ruined by his smug face. He had way too big a role in a story that should have been about Zack, Cloud and Sephiroth and their history/connection. I also hated how Genesis was shoehorned in to the Niebelheim scenes. He shouldn't have been a part of the game at that point anymore. Between Genesis and Angeal, Angeal was a significantly better inclusion because his role was mostly limited to build up Zack's backround and character. So if anything Crisis Core related should be referenced then maybe Angeal, or perhaps Cissnei. But not referencing either wouldn't really bother me.

Back