Build-A-Member
Chocobo Egg
Terra
Yuna
FFXIV
Ellia Lombardia
FFXIV Server
Lamia
Square Enix reveal new artwork and trailer.

This trailer, revealed by Square Enix, entitled Dawn shows what happens 15 years before the events of Final Fantasy XV begin. It focuses on the strong bond he has with his father, otherwise known as King Regis. He is now facing problems with his kingdom and Nilfeim, who want to start a war.

Story summary: In a matter of days, the Kingdom of Lucis is to sign an truce, ending a long and bitter conflict with Niflheim. Ahead of the ceremony, Prince Noctis, the successor to the Lucian throne, sets forth from his homeland to formalize the union of states through his marriage to the Lady Lunafreya Nox Fleuret of the imperial province of Tenebrae.
The offer of peace, however, is no more than a plan to lower the Lucian shield with deception, and the imperial army takes the crown city and its sacred crystal with ease. En route to his destination, Noctis is shocked to learn that his father, Lunafreya Nox Fleuret, and him are pronounced dead.

Overnight, the dream of peace Noctis had, has faded into a distant memory. His world crumbling around him, Noctis has naught but his resolve and his loyal companions to see him through the trials to come.

Final-Fantasy-XV_2015_08-05-15_001.jpg

Source: Gematsu

I am optimistic for Final Fantasy XV after this trailer. It looks like a dark final fantasy, and not just entirely focused on a road trip with bros. It looks very epic, and I am glad to see that this explains what happened at the end of Episode Duscae, somewhat. The dark themes such as Lunafreya getting pushed around as a child is moving and very emotional.

The trailer was very underwhelming, half of it was just father and son hugging. I'd have liked to have seen more of what you described in your post because as much as I don't plan on getting this game FFs always seem to tempt me just enough to make the purchase. Not this one though, this FF looks like balls.

Erm.... Agreed. Harlequin, I personally don't get easily tempted to purchase just any Final Fantasy game, though. With this one, again, like I said with a few titles before, it just seems like they're trying too hard and things don't feel natural anymore, if that makes sense...

The dog reminded me of VIII though, when the dog came in my face turned into: :8F: Who knows, graphics do look good, but look at VII, graphics mean very little.

Way, way, way too much time was spent on the King Regis and Noctis scene. Is a short 3-min trailer really the best place to devote a good minute and a half or so depicting a) fantastic facial rendering technology, and b) an unconditional show of love between father and son that should honestly be shown within the full context of the game and not in a trailer marketed at millions of potential customers? The lengthy demonstration of paternal love and emotion on its own removed from its full context does not adequately tell a discernible story to your average viewer, so the entire sequence becomes a forced, stilted and ultimately boring segment. And unfortunately, it's most of the trailer.

I wager the upcoming ATB Report will provide more, particularly gameplay and some discussions to substantiate this trailer.

That sort of creeped me out a bit. I mean I get it, bond of father and son, but dwelling on it? Is that all the scraps we get at this points after what seems to be 7+ years of game development? I feel like this game is going to either do one of two things to the franchise.

1) Come out with way too many FMVs that take up the "play time"
2) Have a linear point A to point Z story line with little to the imagination.

Nothing really was shown. Not even a conversation or anything.

Assuming that is Luna, she still doesnt entice me one bit. I still prefer Stella.

Atb report might asd more context to this trailer but i prefer seeing more than just 3 minutes of nothing.

Did they redesign Lucis

Nothing really was shown. Not even a conversation or anything.

Did they redesign Lucis

The magazine does imply that the man with Noctis in the trailer is his father, however you have to remember this is 15 years back so he could look different in present game. As for more information, the active time report promises to explain the trailer more. I hope that we get an extended look, but I liked what we saw, at least it was something new instead of Duscae.

Guys, Tabata and co keep saying they don't have time to make demos for these kinds of showcases because they're working so hard on the game itself. Based on SE's Gamescom schedule any new footage was entirely unexpected, so it's obvious they threw this together really quickly. I mean, they don't even have a dub of the spoken lines towards the end yet!

That being considered, I thought it was an ok trailer. It focused on something other than the Duscae region and showed us that there is a plot to this game. Like Six said I do feel this game is trying a bit too hard, but actually this trailer gives me confidence it'll be genuinely good. If this is what they rush together, and it's 0.00001% of what FFXV has to offer, I'd say that's not bad.

When film trailers go out of their way to tell you the entire story in 3-4 minutes flat it drives me completely bonkers, so for me, this trailer was pretty good in that it is exactly what a trailer is supposed to be; a snippet or short preview. People have been saying that FFXV is just about guys in cars taking a road trip, but this snippet gives us a glimpse that there is much more this game has to offer. I like the fact that the trailer showed a more emotional aspect because personally, looking at replays of game mechanics and of characters walking around maps isn't going to prompt me to buy an RPG, the story on the other hand will.

Reactions: Rey
They really have to show Luna in another scenario where she can display actual personality and agency. They have done a terrible job with selling me on the character thus far and it just makes me wish for the old Noctis-Stella dynamic to have remained. Ah well. FFXV =/= Versus XIII.

Guys, Tabata and co keep saying they don't have time to make demos for these kinds of showcases because they're working so hard on the game itself. Based on SE's Gamescom schedule any new footage was entirely unexpected, so it's obvious they threw this together really quickly. I mean, they don't even have a dub of the spoken lines towards the end yet!

They said it themselves that the marketing push would begin earnestly from this year's Gamescom onwards, so the suggestion that they had to rush something out the door doesn't hold any water...unless there has been egregious mismanagement yet again.

SE has once again done well with graphics and music. That's about all I can say about this trailer because nothing really happens. I do quite like how they've portrayed Luna here though :).

WHAT WE HAVE LEARNT FROM THE ACTIVE TIME REPORT (SPOILER ANSWER: NOTHING):

- No word on release date, or even a vague release window. Please look forward to it!

- They're still looking into airships and whether they have the tech to include it in as a means of transportation. Wouldn't shock me if it comes later as DLC or something, I dunno...

- Luna will apparently be a decent character and not a helpless damsel. It is very important that they have to TELL us this, and can't SHOW us her personality or agency on screen in any trailer or anything! The fact that this had to be said encapsulates the sheer failure of the marketing team to do anything interesting with the character since her controversial reveal.

- Something about how previous FF villains cannot "beat" the one for FFXV, whatever that means.

- Virtually no information about raven-haired girl from the E3 2013 trailer. No name. Please look forward to more information much later!

- Actual announcement of an official FFXV forum. No release date for this forum either! Quite why an offline game requires an forum for feedback is beyond me. It's a cheap façade to claim transparency and that they're listening to fans, even though this game is not an MMO. There is no point. Unless you truly are in development hell and you can actually accommodate the wishes of fans without severely compromising what is already laid out/coded in.

- Enemies like Marlboros can camouflage themselves and suddenly launch themselves from swamps to ambush the party. Bad Breath can lead to an instant game over.

- Next ATR (of probably nothing) will be at PAX Prime in Chicago. Then Tokyo Game Show.

- They will show more gameplay footage in upcoming events, but the same story trailer, "Dawn", we saw today.

Job well done, guys!

clqp0oeuaaaynanolrsl.jpg

Right, so the ATR is done and we kind of got some information.

FFXV-ATR-Info_08-05-15.jpg

^ Image of what the fanbase is like because they are ungrateful.

On Release date: No answer, which is very unsurprising given the development hell this game has been in. They do plan to announce one when everything is in order

Theme: Very emotional and centered on father and son

On Lunafreya Nox Fleuret: She hasn't changed much since her Stella incarnation. Fans will be thankful to see that she is going to be a strong heroine who doesn't ask for help. She is strong and capable of making her own decisions, much like what we saw with Stella.

Q&A

Airships?

A: Possibly but we are looking into it but there is a great possibility that it will fly as high as a bird.

Is the cross chain combat finished?

A: Yes and no but we are tweaking it. Please be excited.

Is Versus XIII more emotional than XV?

A: No, we expanded on emotional themes and it is very Versus esque.

XV's villain?

A: XV has a super evil villain that will even surpass every single FF villain. Mwahahahah

What about the lady with the black hair?

A: She is called that on the development team as well! *laughs* No reveals about her because she is important in the story.

Another demo?

A: We have not forgot about that!

Official forum

there will be an official forum to give developers feedback about FF XV. No release yet.

More info will be revealed at Pax prime towards the end of the month and then TGS in September according to Square Enix.

Source: Gematsu

Very rushed Active Time report but I guess they still gave us info. I'm happy about Luna still being a strong female.... and even if it is vague, the villain. The rest is all fine and dandy, I suppose.

We really didnt get any new information......we all knew this. The only new info is the two vids which barely showed much at all

They said it themselves that the marketing push would begin earnestly from this year's Gamescom onwards, so the suggestion that they had to rush something out the door doesn't hold any water...unless there has been egregious mismanagement yet again.

Yes, begin at Gamescom. Meaning they will be consistently revealing little bits of information and making more public appearances with the game from here on out, not dump all they plan to reveal on us at once. I won't argue this seems like a weak start, but there's no reason they couldn't fix that. If they're pushing marketing and development simultaneously it isn't illogical to think that the early reveals will be a bit rough around the edges.

I will say that Malboro demo has me a bit worried about the level design for this game, though. Its almost like the designers are forgetting these are game environments at all. Yeah, they're big, open, and impressive, but they don't look all that great to actually play. Even in an open world game there needs to be a sense of direction and purpose to every path you take, and I'm just not getting that vibe. I've done some game design, and in my experience you should always design game levels around your player character's stats: how tall they are, how high they can jump, how fast they can run, and so forth. You want pretty much everything the player can interact with to be a multiple of one of those figures so that the world fits the player character like a glove. I'm not seeing that kind of tight design in FFXV's environments, though. Natural-looking is a good thing, but too natural doesn't actually make for a very good game.

Yes, begin at Gamescom. Meaning they will be consistently revealing little bits of information and making more public appearances with the game from here on out, not dump all they plan to reveal on us at once. I won't argue this seems like a weak start, but there's no reason they couldn't fix that. If they're pushing marketing and development simultaneously it isn't illogical to think that the early reveals will be a bit rough around the edges.

I'm simply astounded that this is how they choose to initiate their big marketing push. The exorbitant Duscae demos I can understand for those who have not played/know of the demo, but this whole endeavour just seems downright incompetent. An entire ATR dedicated to being wholly evasive towards questions they no doubt consciously picked to be featured (prompting the question of what the point even is). A poorly paced and questionable trailer that would do nothing to excite your average gamer. There is a way to kickstart your game's long campaign. This is not it.

Also, the game just seems so muddled. Looking at what was actually said and revealed in the ATR today, it's difficult to discern anymore what is set in stone and what isn't. For example, why change the design of King Regis? It was a design that featured in the E3 2013 trailer when Noctis was a kid (green soup scene) and the old design was featured in the Jump Festa trailer just months previously. Why go about changing something for the sake of it? I get changing scenarios to fit the old Versus epic into a manageable self-contained story, but the case of Regis confuses me, because that sense of consistency crumbles. I don't even know what they're trying to do anymore. Is Tabata, or is he not, actually sticking with Nomura's vision as he promised? We are getting mixed signals and at this stage, that is not good.

FFXV is just so unprecedented in terms of how many times it has been contorted from all angles. X has been scrapped, Y has been re-done, Z spliced in, the script set on fire, started again, these CG scenes deleted, these segments re-done etc. Today was supposed to bury much of the fears and triumphantly show (or at least, start to show) that this is a functioning, coherent project that is getting there, with the possibility of a publicly unveiled release year in sight. Remarkably, they have done completely the opposite.

----------------

EDIT: Oh dear god...vaguely trying to assure us in words rather than anything on screen that Luna will be a great character (totes!) and that the main villain will somehow top other villains (which is a CLAIM, not actual, objective information) counts as good enough info for its own showing now? How detached from reality are some people to think this is good enough?

Last edited:
FFXV is just so unprecedented in terms of how many times it has been contorted from all angles. X has been scrapped, Y has been re-done, Z spliced in, the script set on fire, started again, these CG scenes deleted, these segments re-done etc. Today was supposed to bury much of the fears and triumphantly show (or at least, start to show) that this is a functioning, coherent project that is getting there, with the possibility of a publicly unveiled release year in sight. Remarkably, they have done completely the opposite.

No dispute there--I'd have to agree.

There could be good reasons for Regis's redesign, though. These days everyone uses mo-cap for animations, but early work is just done with a stand-in, not the guy you want to actually be the face of or voice the character. It's like concept art. They probably settled on a voice actor or mo-cap actor for Regis only relatively recently, hence we're now seeing the final design and it's somewhat different than what we got before. Contrary to popular belief, mo-cap doesn't let you just plug anyone's facial movements into any old CGI model. More often than not the CGI model is built around the person doing the mo-cap. And remember, the original model was made nearly a decade ago. It's likely they can't get the same guy as before, if they ever had one.

We really didnt get any new information......we all knew this. The only new info is the two vids which barely showed much at all

I am sorry but what. Explain to me the last time we heard about Luna's role having echoes of Stella without explanation. Tell me when they told us that XV will have a villain that supposedly surpasses all other FF villains, including Kefka? Matter of fact is that you got yourself ready for disappointment if you were expecting more. If I were you, I would be glad Square Enix gave us information when they originally said it would only be about Duscae. The negativity about the trailer truly astounds me. This is a BIG game, and it is obvious they are working hard on it. Yes, they said full promotion, promoting part I of the story is a good idea, and it is not their fault if fans like you are disappointed. We all know you will buy the game in the end because it has Final Fantasy labelled on the box, same goes for other ungrateful fans who think it is the end of the world. Not very relevant, but don’t call me a fanboy, I’m just willing to see this thing through for what it is. I like XV more every time, and just because I am giving XV a chance really does not make me a fanboy, fyi.

I am sorry but what. Explain to me the last time we heard about Luna's role having echoes of Stella without explanation. Tell me when they told us that XV will have a villain that supposedly surpasses all other FF villains, including Kefka? Matter of fact is that you got yourself ready for disappointment if you were expecting more. If I were you, I would be glad Square Enix gave us information when they originally said it would only be about Duscae. The negativity about the trailer truly astounds me. This is a BIG game, and it is obvious they are working hard on it. Yes, they said full promotion, promoting part I of the story is a good idea, and it is not their fault if fans like you are disappointed. We all know you will buy the game in the end because it has Final Fantasy labelled on the box, same goes for other ungrateful fans who think it is the end of the world. Not very relevant, but don’t call me a fanboy, I’m just willing to see this thing through for what it is. I like XV more every time, and just because I am giving XV a chance really does not make me a fanboy, fyi.

Now Now, calm down Adri. I think there is a reason most people are disappointed. The fact is we are on a final fantasy forum talking about final fantasy, so obviously we will all buy it. I hate the word fan boy, because it usually just refers to anyone who can't take criticism.

The problem is execution right now with Square Enix. They have so many focuses usually that they don't execute as efficiently as they did in the past with single player JRPGs. I would love to say every game Square Enix did was a solid win for the home team, but there are some things done rather poorly, and one does include story telling and such.

My thought process is this. They can't put a date on things because as a project manager that could mean immanent death to a game due to deadline encroachment. Now could SE be a little more honest with expectations? Sure. Though I don't think right now they are worried about our expectations, they just want to finish this game. I just hope it doesn't turn into all talk like John Romero (designer of Wolfenstein/Quake/Doom) and the mysterious Daikatana release that happened years later and was a big flop or of course Duke Nukem Forever. (10 years+ later and horrible).

Here's the way an Application Lifecycle Management (ALM) works. You have your development phase which entails a large crew in this case. (texture designers/map designers/cgi artists/database developers/character designers/building designers/alpha testers/beta testers). Then you have a moving target, where the game was supposed to be originally released on PS3 along side FFXIII. So now porting it to a newer next gen console and then making sure the physics engine works along with getting all the details of the story worked on..

Let's face it. The stories of Final Fantasy have been a bit weak with the newer installments. They put a lot of money into trying to satisfy their MMOs and then sort of short handed FF12/13 and all the other god forsaken spin offs.

Their reputation is truly on the line for this game in my opinion due to the 7+ year delay. I hate it for them, but I will play their game, but I will criticize it as a fan due to we are all entitled to it. I've been ready for this game since I joined this forum just about. So in my opinion people are welcome to be open to disappointment so soon, but I do encourage folks to keep an open mind.

To be honest Square Enix could completely stop with the Final Fantasy installment. Then what will you do? Anyway.. all good, but people are entitled to their own opinion here.

Are you satisfied with them building up anticipation for a Villain we dont know anything about? What villain? What is the point that they are saying pre

Who in the world is satisfied with someone saying "OH, we changed Stella to Luna because Stella didn't fit in the original design, even though you know absolutely nothing about her" to suddenly saying "You'll be happy to know Luna is still like Stella enough to point it out". I mean who in the world thinks that was wise?

WE knew they have been working on Aiships. So what? How is it coming along? What about the villains with the games? Why even bother mentioning anything about Villains if we're not even going to get new information.

This is what bothers me the most....Square Enix didn't have to make a big deal about it. They couldve just ride the "FF7" and "kh3" train. and then surprise us with more FF15 information as the time processed. But no, they chose to say "look forward to gamescon" and get hopes up only to get leaked that Duscae 2.0 will be announced.

I'm pretty sure SE saw how fans were bitterly disappointed and did a last minute approach to reveal new trailer but not confirm anything new. All they did was show a scene where Luna is in danger, and Noctis is being held by a redesigned Lucis. Which looks a hundred times worst... i have no idea what their doing...

Back