[30/07] FFVII Remake's combat will feature "dramatic changes" from the original

While I'm cool with the changes to the system and the designs- c'mon, there's gonna be some change with a game that's near thirty years old- I feel that there will be some fans out there who just won't be happy with anything Square does come up with.

it is only 18 years old will be 20 in 2017 :wacky:

But I never expected them to keep the ATB that FFVII had. They might keep it ATB but it will really be more "action pack" is my guess. I figure as long as we can control all the party members still in some way shape or form I won't really care too much. I am expecting more drastic change news as they develop the game more and more. Kinda hoping it will be out by the 20th anniversary but it probably won't be.

They will have to keep it ATB if we are going to control the entire cast and use their limit breaks. Which is a big deal for me, if i cant manuallly trigger a Limit Break, ill be very upset.

Im not a purist, but some form of ATB has to be implemented where we can all control the characters.

Just so long as they don't start adding slot machines to the gameplay (ala Crisis Core), I'll be slightly less than devastated. Like Shace and Raz said, there needs to be some resemblance of the ATB system. X-2 had the action side of an ATB system down, with speed and constant movement for those kids who can't sit still or stop drinking Coke.

Just for the love of god, stay away from 12's battle system. I never want to have the time to slit my wrists 20 times between each command. Nor do I want the game to play itself.

Just so long as they don't start adding slot machines to the gameplay (ala Crisis Core), I'll be slightly less than devastated. Like Shace and Raz said, there needs to be some resemblance of the ATB system. X-2 had the action side of an ATB system down, with speed and constant movement for those kids who can't sit still or stop drinking Coke.

Just for the love of god, stay away from 12's battle system. I never want to have the time to slit my wrists 20 times between each command. Nor do I want the game to play itself.

FF12's system was more customizable than ff13's and earlier on. At least the option to control your entire team was there for FF12. still ff7 should keep some form of atb or something that allows us to control all the characters.

Razberry Knight It WAS more customisable sure, but mostly if you wanted to go all auto-mode during battles. Otherwise, you could do pretty much what you could do in a lot of other FF games: choose who is a white mage/black mage/warrior etc. The license board was no more a way to customise a character than FF8's junction/command slot system, or 7's materia system, or 6's magicite system (to a lesser extent), or 5's job choice system. It just looked more open due to a wide open board being put in front of you.

I'll stop there though since it may be going a bit off topic. Chuck me a pm or something if you want to carry on chatting, Raz :).

Why everyone is so caught up calling each other haters for wanting a certain thing to stay the same or something to change is beyond me... With that said, I do personally hope they stick to the old familiar ways, but it would be silly to expect the full same game just in a new coat for example. I think what people need to realize that this remake (if you will) isn't there to replace what was, it's not there to replace the original Final Fantasy VII.

Let people be excited. The real world is stressful enough as is! :lew:

Razberry Knight It WAS more customisable sure, but mostly if you wanted to go all auto-mode during battles. Otherwise, you could do pretty much what you could do in a lot of other FF games: choose who is a white mage/black mage/warrior etc. The license board was no more a way to customise a character than FF8's junction/command slot system, or 7's materia system, or 6's magicite system (to a lesser extent), or 5's job choice system. It just looked more open due to a wide open board being put in front of you.

I'll stop there though since it may be going a bit off topic. Chuck me a pm or something if you want to carry on chatting, Raz :).

Your argument is based on the idea that you force yourself into auto mode instead of having the option. Another is thinking that the liscense board is trying to be different. In which i say its not, but my main point is i would welcome 12s non intrusive, purely optional, and very familiar battle system over ff13's paradigm shift.

Why everyone is so caught up calling each other haters for wanting a certain thing to stay the same or something to change is beyond me... With that said, I do personally hope they stick to the old familiar ways, but it would be silly to expect the full same game just in a new coat for example. I think what people need to realize that this remake (if you will) isn't there to replace what was, it's not there to replace the original Final Fantasy VII.

Let people be excited. The real world is stressful enough as is! :lew:

I dont know who is calling who a hater. But i definitely believe that at some level remakes do attempt to replace the original. For example: we never get to see the original NES versions being ported ovee. Only the psp versions of ff1 and 2. We never experienced the original ff3 on NES either and the revamped one on DS seems to act like its the definitive version.

I dont know who is calling who a hater. But i definitely believe that at some level remakes do attempt to replace the original. For example: we never get to see the original NES versions being ported ovee. Only the psp versions of ff1 and 2. We never experienced the original ff3 on NES either and the revamped one on DS seems to act like its the definitive version.

Everyone on the internet is calling each other names over their opinion and this remake. :gonk: It's a right pain.

I agree though, I'm sure they'll attempt that, but as long as people know that VII is VII the way it was back in 1997, I think we will all be okay. :lew:

Everyone on the internet is calling each other names over their opinion and this remake. :gonk: It's a right pain.

I agree though, I'm sure they'll attempt that, but as long as people know that VII is VII the way it was back in 1997, I think we will all be okay. :lew:
that could be a problem story wise when new players try to discuss with veterans. And it will get to the point where a vet will say "only in the remake".

I'm not a purist that's gonna be upset if they change stuff, not at all. Change can be really good for stuff. I'm just scared they're gonna change so much that this game will lose it's identity. We shall see what happens. There's alot of time until the game comes out.

I think this is the main point coming from ardent fans of the original such as myself. It's not about having a carbon copy of the original but retaining the winning formula the original had. It's not the end of the world if they do change stuff, but I'd rather they thought of ways to bring the ATB system up to date rather than slapping the remake with XV's battle system and calling it job done. Regardless, change in inevitable and we'll have to see how it pans out.

Obviously wait until we see gameplay footage (But I'll be buying it anyway!) but one of the things I loved about the game was Cloud getting smaller and smaller when you moved him to the top of the screen.
And even the bridge leading to Mt. Corel, a tiny Cloud runs along the top of the screen. I'm slightly concerned (Because the tech has advanced) we might get to see Cloud's view from the bridge. I'd rather we had some cases of tiny Cloud and characters as it shows the scale of the buildings and background.
Not much to do with combat and I probably should have posted this in another thread. But again, see how it goes.

So long as it utilizes more action elements, consider me possibly interested. Otherwise, I don't see myself being as interested.

Back