The Game Square Should Have Remade...

Gamegents

Chocobo Breeder
Gil
http://www.gamegents.com/2015/07/04/859/

I think you all know where I'm going with this. This is a piece I wrote about why Square choose the wrong game to remake. Figured you guys would enjoy it. Let me know what you think!
download.jpgI'll be waiting...

i think there are a few plot points that could be redone, the way we find out about edea and cid being married just seems forced 'that pathetic married couple' ruined the reveal a bit for me, i was shocked when i very first found out, but it just made me cringe so much the way it was done. i would have preferred if NORGjust mentioned that edea and cid founded it (maybe in his paranoia he could say she is just 'playing' at being mental so she can control all the Gardens along with cid and them wanting him out....or something, that makes sense in my head), had his grumble, then irvine could have done the actual reveal in the baskeball court, which brings me onto my next point, lol

The big reveal in the basket ball court could have been handled better as well. i get the whole GF's take space in your memories, but it just seems abit too far fetched, Selphie 'briefly' equips a GF and because of that she forgets her entire past; the rest of the guys have been equipping them for ages, they should have alzheimers by now. There's no reason she should have to remember WHO she was at her orphanage with, I don't remember the kids i went to nursery with at all, and i can barely recall some of the kids i went to primary school with since i moved when i was about 8 or 9. There is no reason why Squall, Seifer, Zell and Quistis have to forget they grew up together at all.

How long was Edea under Ultimecias control? This is never explained. Garden has only been around, what, 10 years or so, at the absolute most, thinking about it... i never thought about that 'til now. Cid got the idea from Edea after future Squall goes back in time. I wonder if she spent much time on the white seed ship, considering she built it to protect Ellone, potentially from herself. I'm just wondering where she was based, or whether she spent much time at Balamb Garden as that would explain why Squall and co wouldn't recognise her. If it was a recent possesion, which again, I'm gunna assume on again (considering she only really surfaces to take over Galbadia during game time), surely they would have seen her knocking about Garden etc. It just seems abid cheap for the story to be all like, well, lets make it a surprise, but how do we do this considering we want this woman to be the headmasters wife, I KNOW, lets mess with memories! I think, even this could have been dealt with better. That face piece thingy could have just stayed on, or, even with how different her attire/demeanour was, it could just have stayed at hints of 'i recognise this woman' Make up/costumes can dramatically change a persons appearance, she didn't even need to be forgotten. Irvine see's her through a rifle scope, so that could explain why he chokes when it comes to shooting her

there are other bits and bats i could pick at lol, but those were always my major gripes, i just wish they had been written better.

The battle system was broken too. it was a great idea in theory, but surely, it would have made more sense to have the monsters level up beyond their area level rather than with you, if that makes sense. I'm not always clear with what i mean lol.... i didnt mind the junction system really, but it did make magic kinda redundant, what was the point in using it if it affected your stats? I'm not a huge magic user, but i can see how it would annoy someone who liked to use magic themselves.

Of course these are just my ramblings, im sure SE wont do a remake just to please me lmao

So the only reason I got excited for the VII remake was that, if it does well, I'm crossing my fingers that Square will remake VIII.

I think I would cry if they announced a remake for VIII. Tears of pure joy, of course. I'd be nervous about who they chose for voice actors of course but...mostly happy.

I can't see it happening. VII is the biggest in the franchise and that's why it's getting a remake. I could see VIII getting a remaster like FFX maybe with update soundtrack, character models and panoramic backgrounds and stuff but I think people are getting a little bit ahead of themselves when they think that every FF in the series is going to get a remake or remaster. There has to be a demand for it. There was for X, there is for VII but is there for VIII? Maybe. I couldn't say. IX is probably higher on the list of a remake, as is XII (only because it would be easier as it's more modern) in my opinion. Would I play it? Yes. Do I want it? Yes. Do I see it happening? No. Unfortunately not.

I think it can be mde, but should be made before 7?

Right now I think not. Unless there was a compilation of ff8. Then yes, but Ff7 has too many games related to it that appear closet to realism to leave the original as is

I think FF8 should be remade, and with more story for Laguna. Also a bit of a clean-up on the confusing parts of the story, plot holes filled in etc. It'd also be interesting if you could keep Edea/Laguna throughout for battle purposes, though plot-wise...maybe not ha.

Either way, the turn-based system should stay the same (which probably wouldn't happen knowing Square lately) and the junction system should stay the same too; it isn't confusing at all if you pay attention to the short tutorials and the fact that you can break the game is half the fun. You have the choice to do it after all :monocle:.

That is a completely subjective opinion and would definitely not support any claim to why it was a mistake to choose FF7 over FF8. The most popular game Square has released of Final Fantasy was FF7, so it makes sense if they want to fully remake a game in HD it would be something the people have been asking for, also you say FF8 was pixelated and stuff, FF7 were freaking polygons (lol), you couldn't tell much either.

Everything you said in regard to FF8 can also be applied to FF7, except objectively, FF7 was the better seller, so Square definitely did not make the wrong choice there. I'm a FF7 fan, I admit but I also like the rest of the franchise (minus 13 trilogy and 12) and I would definitely love a FF6,8 and 9 remakes, I also would like see a FF6 remake before a FF8 even but should any be before FF7? Definitely not.

8 isn't even close to 7 when it comes to popularity. This game would not be remade before they do 7. Would I be all for it? Yes I would. I enjoyed playing VIII(outside of the god awful and tedious magic drawing mechanic.) and I'd buy it for sure.
I'd much prefer seeing IX done before this one tho.

Thank you guys for all the input. In the article I say remaking VII was probably the right choice its just VIII was so classic to me. There is some things however they would need to fix like the junctioning and leveling problems.

I can't see it happening. VII is the biggest in the franchise and that's why it's getting a remake. I could see VIII getting a remaster like FFX maybe with update soundtrack, character models and panoramic backgrounds and stuff but I think people are getting a little bit ahead of themselves when they think that every FF in the series is going to get a remake or remaster. There has to be a demand for it. There was for X, there is for VII but is there for VIII? Maybe. I couldn't say. IX is probably higher on the list of a remake, as is XII (only because it would be easier as it's more modern) in my opinion. Would I play it? Yes. Do I want it? Yes. Do I see it happening? No. Unfortunately not.

id hate for a IX remake; a remaster just clean it up, on the other hand, that would be amazing. i couldnt sit here and pick apart the plot like i could with VIII, I just think the game is fantastic from start to finish, even the randomly thrown in necron at the end lol.

If they never touched it though, I'd not grumble, it's great as it is

Oh no, I don't believe that the VIII remake should, or ever would, come before VII. As a fan of VIII, I am hoping that the VII remake does well enough that they might consider remaking VIII. It would be an unrealistic hope for Square to remake VIII before VII, especially when VII is the clear bread-winner of the franchise.

I don't know if a remake needs to happen for this one, but if it did, I feel like the overall fanbase would welcome it with open arms. I mean, VIII and IX on PS4/XBox One would probably be mind blowing today. :gasp:

They could obviously get rid of VIII's awful loading times, too. Haha.

I don't know if a remake needs to happen for this one, but if it did, I feel like the overall fanbase would welcome it with open arms. I mean, VIII and IX on PS4/XBox One would probably be mind blowing today. :gasp:

They could obviously get rid of VIII's awful loading times, too. Haha.

Omg, with XBOne graphics. *drool*

Omg, with XBOne graphics. *drool*
Imagine a PC version of this remake. Now imagine how bogged down the computer could get just from rendering everything in the game. :lew:

Maybe we should head over to change.org now and get this bad boy remade. :hmmm:

I say no. I love the game and would hate to see that feeling destroyed by a remake. Just do not see it being done well.

I say let SE deal with the FF7 remake first. Why? Well besides it being the most popular single player title in the main number series, it'll be a first attempt at a PS1 full remake for this gen. I am expecting the remake to have success, but also containing mistakes and/or short-comings that a FFVIII remake may not repeat from the experience of the FFVII remake. FFVIII's battle system imo is what could use the most work. Give the player a real reason to play Triple Triad by making the enemies hard and designed around end game potential...if that makes any sense. It'll also be a good chance to connect the dots a lot easier with some parts of the game by providing more detail imo. I don't know if they'll stick with turned based with a FFVIII remake, if it does become reality, but I'd play it either way. I got a lot to thank FFVIII for on a personal level.

I say no. I love the game and would hate to see that feeling destroyed by a remake. Just do not see it being done well.
In that event, you'll always have the original game to go back to.

FFIX HD Remaster would be amazing. :gasp:

As for a VIII remake, I think the game could stand for a lot of improvements. Not just to fix certain plot elements, which I also think need to be fixed, but for certain visual aspects too. Mainly the whole menu, which is as bland as they come. Also, I'd like to see a less angsty Squall because he friggin' irritated me. Teenagers need a more optimistic role model to idolise!

Maybe a second part focusing on Seifer redeeming himself would be fun? It could focus on him wanting to become a SeeD. Lots of opportunity to revisit locations and see all the characters.

They should make a spinoff starring Laguna, Kiros and Ward. Maybe something like Dirge of Cerberus but not batshit retarded.

Back