If a remake happened...

rowe

Eternally Begrudged
Veteran
Gil
Nomura, during the FFVII remake reveal craze, spoke of FFV as one of the games he'd like remade.

What would you want changed, added, stripped, etc?

I actually haven't played much of V, but from what I do remember of it, there was an overabundance of job classes. Maybe "combining" some, and/or completely ridding of the less useful ones, could be a change.

It's an old thread, but it is still at the first page of FFV subforum, so I'll write here, instead of starting new one...

I don't know what kind of remake Nomura meant, I really wouldn't mind it, if it had drastic change in style, for instance being 3D, and for latest consoles, and PC.

I recently finished Advance version which was also remake with added content, played it overall for over 100 hours, thought it was very sweet, charming, full of content, with so much freedom with Job system, it had silly main villain - I actually thought of immediately replaying it, but I will leave that for some another time; in short it is simply, IMO, great RPG, and I'm saying that in 2018, without nostalgia thing attached to it, about now rather older game, even if it is remake.

That being said, if they decided to make more serious remake, with realistic character models, a lot of things would need to change, because that overall silliness about it worked initially because of older 2D sprites.

The FFV world is big, and there is three of them, it actually has several kingdoms, but those are pretty much just castle, and maybe a town, or village nearby, which can be excused because of the fact that early FF maps displayed everything on smaller scale, but in current time, it would just look ridiculous, and empty.
I guess the only way 3D remake could work if characters retained cartoonish look, in a way FFIII 3D remake is made.

Also, characters should be given update, especially Exdeath.

Aside from that, I guess I wouldn't mind more optional bosses, and added content, as well as some tweaks to the story which are necessary for game to feel more modern.

I made a custom art image and have been pleading S-E to continue their DS/3DS Remakes of Classic games.
3AMYksx.jpg

While the original DS releases of 3 & 4 had framerate issues I reckon a Remake in similar style would be easy to put on a 3DS - just look at Dragon Quest VII & VIII for examples.

But I really do think this is essential! We still don't have a good way to play this game on modern systems - the iOS version looks horrendous with it's bobbly Playmobile like character models - had it looked more 16-BIT like the PSP Version of Final Fantasy IV I'd be more content. The only version of FFV I own is the PS1 Anthology collection... which really is not ideal or even enjoyable to this point.

I would have loved a PSP style remaster (in the same way as I & II Anniversary Editions and FFIV: The Complete Collection) of Final Fantasy V (and VI!). Updated with smoother graphics, new script translation and additional content like the GBA version, yet still keep the nostalgic charm of the 16-Bit SNES original. Maybe even throw in a Prelude and sequel game like they did with FFIV: TCC. I'd take something like that over the horrible iOS/Steam versions that we did get and even over the 3D remakes of the Nintendo DS (even though they are not bad themselves).

If they ever remade this game, do you think they would incorporate any bonus content based on the anime?

At the very least they should INCLUDE the anime as a bonus.

Back