First time playing a Final Fantasy game

Autzerain

Gil
I just started playing Final Fantasy XIII a few days ago and it is my first official entry into the FF series. I'm looking to discuss it with people who have also enjoyed the game - I am currently thoroughly enjoying it!

Please, no spoilers as I play. I am currently in Chapter 7!

I know this game has been divisive. If you were not a fan of the game, please do not post negative comments about it at least until I finish it.

I'm hoping to discuss the characters, story, themes, music, and more as it develops.

A first question: what attracted you to the game when you first played it?

Mod edit: posts merged

Last edited by a moderator:
The graphics are what attracted me to the game. The music is amazing and Lightning was a badass.

I hope i'm not showing you a spoiler because the picture in my avatar and signature is an enemy in chapter 8 and you're in chapter 7. I have to say chapter 7 is the best chapter in the game. I just loved fighting the Guardian Corps in Hope's house in the dark.

all i'm going to say is that final fantasy 13 is a drastic shift away from what final fantasy normally is. I understand its your first final fantasy, but i do implore you to play other final fantasies before suggesting that 13 is the best one.

obviously, the first thing that attracted me to the game was that it was a final fantasy game (by name) and graphics. thats about it.

I was sort of told to play this game by me ex because he thought I would enjoy it. I'd had a bad experience with the FF series to begin with as I started with playing X2 (Yep... I had no clue, I was 15.. heard Final Fantasy was a good series, bought this game and was disappointed when I played it, totally oblivious to the fact it was a sequel xD) I went off the series stupidly so I was hesitant to play 13.

Anyway, he was right and I really got hooked within about two hours of game play. I guess the thing that kept me 'attracted' to it was the amazing story, the awesome characters and the challenging battles etc. I know there are alot of mixed opinions about it, but FFXIII is my all time favourite game, because I just adore the story and Lightning is just so damn awesome. And not to sound dramatic, but it actually saved me from going insane at one point in my life too so I have alota love for this game. <3

I hope you enjoy the rest of the game ^^ IMO it only gets better.

I know you said no negative comments but I can't help it. If you're enjoying XIII then by the time you revisit X, VII, VIII, IX, XI and even XII you're in for a massive treat! XIII pales in comparison to these games, as long as you don't mind the older graphical style then I can't wait for you to discover the TRUE FF franchise in all of its glory.

I just started playing Final Fantasy XIII a few days ago and it is my first official entry into the FF series. I'm looking to discuss it with people who have also enjoyed the game - I am currently thoroughly enjoying it!

I know this game has been divisive. If you were not a fan of the game, please do not post negative comments about it at least until I finish it.

I'm hoping to discuss the characters, story, themes, music, and more as it develops.

What attracted me the most was that first I hadn't played a FF in quite a while, second Lightning is COOL, and third the amazing graphics. The later is very important, because the characters of Final Fantasy XIII are very vivid not because of writting, but because of the good graphics, facial expressions, etc. This really makes you believe what they are experiencing. I believe this is a very strong point in favor of XIII that old FF lack, and that will be again a mayor point in XV.

Run, run! You need to start XIII-2 :)

I remember pre-ordering the game and being absolutely stoked to play it when I got home. As time went on I seriously had to force myself to continue to keep playing because I found it to be quite shit.

Have you finished it, or checked out any previous entries yet? IX and X are amazing

Been a while! I got to Chapter 13, up to where you have access to the warp portal, and stopped playing soon after my initial post almost a year ago in this thread. School came along and I was not enticed enough with the game to finish it.

Just today, however, I started anew. I realized I was impatient during my initial run. I wanted to finish as soon as possible to get to the sequels and say that I beat the trilogy all in one summer. The first time around, then, I rushed through the game. I did not stop to read all the datalog entires. I did not really try and learn the upgrade system. I did not explore Gran Pulse once I got there. I missed out on a lot because I wanted to get to the end of the story. This time around, I am giving myself more time with it and enjoying it all the more. The universe of XIII, especially in this first entry, is so tight-knit. Replaying has shown me how the characters were never doing anything random as it may seem. From the very beginning, they all had their purpose, their questions, their reasons for being cryptic or seemingly one-dimensional. It has made me appreciate them and the story all the more now knowing the reasons behind each of their actions. I am so happy to be back in the XIII world :)

Last edited:
before I played ff13 I had never played a jrpg but I loved every moment of it I enjoyed the story I liked the combat and themes would take I while to type up so. . . yeah but music I LOVE the music in this game it's my soundtrack in a game as for characters my favorite is Lightning she is a complete badass she uses a gunblade which is awesome and she has my favorite summon in any final fantasy game and I didn't mind the leveing so yeah you wanted to know why there you go

ps after you finish this game a would recommend you also play final fantasy 13-2, final fantasy 13 lighentning returns and final fantasy type 0 HD

at the moment I am waiting for final fantasy 15 and the final fantasy 7 remake when ever that comes to xbox one.

before I played ff13 I had never played a jrpg but I loved every moment of it I enjoyed the story I liked the combat and themes would take I while to type up so. . . yeah but music I LOVE the music in this game it's my soundtrack in a game as for characters my favorite is Lightning she is a complete badass she uses a gunblade which is awesome and she has my favorite summon in any final fantasy game and I didn't mind the leveing so yeah you wanted to know why there you go

ps after you finish this game I would recommend you also play final fantasy 13-2, final fantasy 13 lighentning returns and final fantasy type 0 HD

at the moment I am waiting for final fantasy 15 and the final fantasy 7 remake when ever that comes to xbox one.

Back