What do you want changed? what do you want to stay the same?

Shaissa

Dark Knight
Veteran
Gil
Mog's Tent
Now that we are getting a remake...

Questions are getting asked about what will be changed, added, and removed.

So question is what do you want to be added and what do you want to stay the same?

For me what I want to stay the same.... gameplay, and battles, and a world map!

For what to change... I guess the obvious one is better translation... FFVII was very... bad at points with translation.

Second is Genesis.... he's going be mentioned somehow now that he was a major part of the other FF games.

Third is the Turks... originally villains in every way... almost... have almost become good guys.... gotta fix it now.

Last is Avalanche... interesting group now that they existed before Barrett.

I think the way the battle system works in the original is absolutely fine but I do think it can be updated, maybe take what FFX had (which for me was the best turn based system in the series) and build on that. I think a lot of people felt silly with such a stop start battle system but I always understood it to be broken down turn by turn for strategic purposes rather than a literal representation of the fight. Sort of like how Cloud isn't really half the size of Kalm, despite that being very much the case when he's roaming the overworld. If Pokemon can successfully rehash an identical battle system from the 90s with every iteration I don't see why Final Fantasy has to become Devil May Cry or God of War to appeal.

I do however think that a turn based system is easier to bear when there's plenty of tactical depth, of which the vast majority of VII's battles were certainly lacking. In the original once you got the right balance you could steamroll through the game (for some players this was easily about 90% of the content) and I think that's something that definitely needs to be addressed. Obviously the game has to be playable for your casual player out there who doesn't want a hardcore challenge, but for experienced players it would be nice to see the enemies' abilities and attributes prompt the player into changing their set ups, perhaps not from fight to fight like how FFXIII did it but rather from one dungeon to another. Once a character's physical attack reaches the damage cap almost every other course of action becomes obsolete, but I'm certain that's something the developers are aware of and will fix in the remake.

Certain strategies should also be nerfed. Being able to Mime a Limit Break is a game breaker and particularly farcical in the Battle Arena where the player can Mime from round to round and clear every stage with Cloud's Omnislash.

I'd like for SE to expand upon the Battle Arena and give the player more modes to clear. It would be great to see Full Party, Time, Survival and the like in addition to the original's Solo mode. I mentioned in another thread how I'd like to see a mode where the player can challenge bosses they've fought previously but in a more challenging incarnation, giving the experienced players a challenge whilst keeping the harder content optional.

I'd also like to see more materia in the game, with more combinations but also a greater influence on the attributes of the characters who equip them. I appreciate the original did this, but if they made the penalties greater the player would not only have to think of which combinations to go for but also which combos to avoid. More enemy skills would be great, but they'll need to work on the efficacy of certain skills. Buffs and Debuffs should play a greater role in battle this time round too.

To stay the same: Keep the ATB but update so it's a little faster tried out FFX-2 HD on PS4 last night the pace of battles in that game is fantastic (despite the rest of the game still making me still cringe like it did on PS2 :lew:) having ATB down to where the action is executed the instant you select the command adds an extra dimension to battles. (example I could steal with Rikku but Paine could still kill the same enemy she was stealing from before she got a chance to steal with an attack) that adds a lot for the player and presents new challenges too as imagine Shinra soldiers attacking all at once rather than one at a time.

Keep the story core the same I'm fine with it referencing subtle parts of the gameworld the original plot couldn't cover due to limited memory at the time.

The overworld: Its a big ask to keep this in the game but it always gave the old FFs a sense of non linearity without making the game seem a slog. Playing FF XV last night as gorgeous as its open world looks walking from place to place felt like a slog and it wasnt like GTA where you can just steal a vehicle to speed up your travel so I wonder how Square will balance this unless they make the highwind like FFX-2 where you just select your destination.

Change?? Well more bosses can be put into it safely without damaging the original I think. Adding a bit more complexity to the existing bosses would be nice too (I wouldn't be against turning the Final battle against Sephiroth into a three or 4 stager with you perhaps fighting his human form first before he transforms into his bizaro and safer forms).

More character specific commands outside of limit breaks none of the character in the original game had their own fighting styles so maybe add a character specific normal command for each character to make the player think more strategically about what characters they want to form their party.

More details for battles too so we should see for example Jenova transforming from Sephiroth into Jenove DEATH/LIFE etc before the battles begin rather than just seeing a tiny ball drop to the floor and trigger the battle Square can make the plot easier to understand this time by adding these little bits to battles.

Hmmm this is inspired by FF VIII but perhaps allow the player to control Sephiroth/Jenova for short periods as the party is chasing him to mix it up a bit or else a few sequences where you get to control the Turks?

Improve the translation (I still feel Safer Sephiroth should have been Saviour Sephiroth like it was in Spanish version I think makes more sense).

Last edited:
Of course the graphics are changing, but I think they could also make some updates to the story line as well. I mean if you think about if when FFVII came out there were only a few gaps, and thanks to some of the bastardization of the series with Dirge/Crisis Core/Advent Children there seemed to be quite a few inconsistencies and gaping plot holes to back fill characters.

Let's talk about Genesis, let's talk about more of why Tifa is so oblivious to the whole Zack and Cloud situation. Let's try to make the cross over with Zack being killed and Cloud taking his place basically as soldier first class a bit better of a transition. If you would try to play Crisis Core then play VII, you would be definitely confused of the back story with Cloud being adopted into Avalanche. I mean after all he was Shinra for so long, up to the point of things going awry with ole Zacky Boy. Let's talk about Cissnei, I mean, how little was she involved in VII as opposed to Crisis Core. The other turks had much more involvement, but I don't quite comprehend how they changed to help Avalanche in Advent Children.

What I do not want is to have to focus on every single playable characters back story, unless they go all in with it and make a 300+ hour game, which I highly doubt they have the overhead for. I think most of the major focus again will be of course the FMVs. Heck it all started with this game in the series, so I could see them making like 45+ minutes worth of FMVs or more and have them focus more on Sephiroth / Cloud.

I do not know how they will make the materia system relatable to the next gen console player. Trust me, I loved it, but I just don't know how they will make it more modern with the updated game. I just hope this doesn't become a FFXIII-Versus / FFXV project that takes so long due to the complex nuances. I don't think SE could afford to wait on another next gen system like they did for Versus.

Golden Saucer and the mini-games, they of course have to make those more relevant as well. I honestly don't know what game substitutes they will do here, but I could see some adaptations to the other mini games. Super Dunk and 3D Battler to be specific.

Let's talk about Genesis, let's talk about more of why Tifa is so oblivious to the whole Zack and Cloud situation. Let's try to make the cross over with Zack being killed and Cloud taking his place basically as soldier first class a bit better of a transition. If you would try to play Crisis Core then play VII, you would be definitely confused of the back story with Cloud being adopted into Avalanche. I mean after all he was Shinra for so long, up to the point of things going awry with ole Zacky Boy.
I agree that the backstory should be fleshed out a bit more to make it easier to understand. I just hope they don't over do it. There was something to the reveal in the lifestream and then afterwards stumbling on the additional scenes in the mansion basement for the first time. Crisis Core is meant to be played after the original game, even though it is a prequel, so too much may take away from CC. One of the things I like about FF games is that the whole story isn't spoon-fed as you go along and that to get the full picture thorough exploration has to be done. I'm sure they'll clean it up better and expand more in the remake eitherway. Though IMO the less Genesis the better.

Let's talk about Cissnei, I mean, how little was she involved in VII as opposed to Crisis Core. The other turks had much more involvement, but I don't quite comprehend how they changed to help Avalanche in Advent Children.
Cissnei wasn't in VII at all but I would welcome her inclusion if it was kept to a small part. As for the rest of the Turks in VII they were opposed as it was their job to be. I thought it was made clear enough during the Wutai side-quest and their appearance in Midgar on Disc 2 that they were not bad guys at heart and that they were only doing what was expected of them. By AC the company has essentially gone and thus there is no need to be hostile towards Cloud and the others. Infact it was in their interest to assist rather than be opposed.

Golden Saucer and the mini-games, they of course have to make those more relevant as well. I honestly don't know what game substitutes they will do here, but I could see some adaptations to the other mini games. Super Dunk and 3D Battler to be specific.
Oh bah gawd they better! That Mog game too. or remove them completely for better games! The bike, snowboard and submarine games can stay.

....ohhhhh thats a point, more places to go in the sub? Ahhhh I'm going to fanboi so fucking hard when this game arrives haha.

As far as Genesis goes, I wouldn't mind him being an optional boss, like the WEAPONs.

Cissini I think left the Turks after Zack.... I imagine for some reason she secretly is in Gonganza (sp) looking after Zacks parents.

The only mini game I enjoyed in the Golden Saucer was Chocobo Racing. Submarine was ok, same with the bike one. snowboarding was annoying, but part of the story, so I understood.... but all the othe minigames gotta change!

Also I agree with the Submarine actually letting you access more places! I think there was only like 3 places the sub got you that an airship didn't, and only 2 if you wanna add chocobos.

Speaking of more places, I feel the Wutai continent needs more than one city.... maybe a secret cave or something.... just a thought.

• Angeal, personally, would make for a nice mention/cameo/whatever.
  • Add more to do in the Gold Saucer. Strip some of the useless mini-games, though, and expand upon chocobo racing.
  • More WEAPONs, like Jade and Omega.
  • Some sort of Zack and/or Sephiroth side quests.
  • Less JENOVA battles. (I understand how integral they are, but I think there are too many.)
  • As far as exploration, expand upon Midgar.
That's all I can think of at the moment.

Literally the only thing I want changed is an update in graphics. I think anything else will not feel like "FFVII" to me. No adding or removing.

Literally the only thing I want changed is an update in graphics. I think anything else will not feel like "FFVII" to me. No adding or removing.

Really? You don't feel the world is a bit empty by todays standards?

I'm just scared they ruin the game by fucking up the battle system.

What I don't want to change?

The greatest slap fight in human history, complete with foul language and reams of hatred from both sides. [This is almost certainly going to change]

Any of Vincent's dialogue.
Any of Yuffie's dialogue.

The stairs. If you don't know what I mean, your FFVII experience is woefully incomplete. [But they can't get away with having Tifa telling Barrett to stop being a retard, as everyone starts going a little crazy.]

I will scream if the 'Miss Cloud' subplot gets removed. An FFVII without Cloud, Aerith and Tifa threatening to annihilate Don Cornis's nuts is no FFVII at all!!! That said, at least in the North American release, there is no way that the homoerotic scene in the Honeybee Inn hottub is making it in. We're just too afraid of the subject, so we'll do what we always do and pretend it doesn't exist. Zeig hail political correctness. -_-

Removing Don Corneo would be a tragic waste of hilarious scenes...

But God help them if they change a single letter of the script in Barrett's scene with the golden shiny wire of hope!!!!!!!!!

For changes… well, maybe make the Midgarsormr/Midgar Zolom bigger, and make the scene in which it chases you scarier. And add in a few more Turks. All I can think of off the bat, really.

Cloud's arms.

They better keep muh man beefy :mokken:

No, but really.

* I want the battle system to feel more interactive. I don't know the term for it, but I don't know how many times I fell asleep during battle while Lv grinding. I did this all the time, even in FFX, so I really hope that the battles keep me excited and feeling like it really is life or death. I also want to be able to see Cloud do all of his cool moves as opposed to a typical slash and I think something like FFXV would make that possible.

* Realistic graphics. I had hoped Square Enix would try and make the characters look less anime-ish, but looks like they're going their normal route with the remake so that's shot to hell.

* Cetra/Jenova origins explored. The two most interesting and underappreciated aspects about FFVII has got to be the origins of the Cetra/Jenova, the "war", the planet's beginnings. I really really am desperate to find out more about this. Nojima and Kitase SORT OF clarified SOME of the origins when they said X and VII are connected and that the lifestream and pyreflies are the same, but I need more. I think this is a big chunk of story that would draw in a lot of people if they did it correctly.

* No Genesis, no Angeal, no ANYTHING from Crisis Core, and even Dirge of Cerberus. I cannot stand any of the retcons in CC, mainly, Genesis and Angeal and Zack's stories are so horrendously bad. Just thinking about added cutscenes of these characters in FF7R makes my skin crawl. Zack was a minor character, leave him as a minor character. The original game made it seem like Cloud and Zack had a real war-buddy friendship, something cool. But CC made it so... puppydog. And that anime ending... for crying out loud, keep it away. :gonk:

* Amano outfit DLC. I want to see Cloud and Aerith in their Amano forms so I will def pay money for that. :lew:

More later. :pooley:

I know this may seem minor and a non issue to alot of you, but I want to be able to get a purple chocobo. I want to be able to get more colors available via breeding chocobos and racing them.
Keep the Golden chocobo as the only one that can cover all terrains too. <3

I think I like the idea of some extra Chocobo stuff.

Colours, side quests that involve them, even having races in the different cities and continents.

* Cetra/Jenova origins explored. The two most interesting and underappreciated aspects about FFVII has got to be the origins of the Cetra/Jenova, the "war", the planet's beginnings. I really really am desperate to find out more about this. Nojima and Kitase SORT OF clarified SOME of the origins when they said X and VII are connected and that the lifestream and pyreflies are the same, but I need more. I think this is a big chunk of story that would draw in a lot of people if they did it correctly.

I can't help but feel that if they did explore this tidbit, it would be underwhelming for so many. I mean, it is really really intriguing and all, but I think that whole mystery in itself is really appealing. I'd rather them leave that aspect untouched rather than serve up a backstory that's just "meh".

Back