FFXIV Heavensward: Pricing and Thoughts?

Six

𝗦𝗼𝗹𝗶𝘁𝘂𝗱𝗲 *★.• ·
Staff member
Admin Support
Social Media Team
Veteran
Gil
As you guys know, the official launch date for FF XIV's Heavensward is June 23rd. Pre-ordering (with no extra cost) gives you the perk of playing it 4 days in advance. There was a huge discussion on if the pricing was worth it or not. My question is, if you are getting the expansion pack, which one are you getting?

NOTE: Players that purchased the base game through steam MUST purchase the DLC via Steam as well. Purchasing the DLC on any other gaming site that doesn't support Steam will make your newly purchased DLC content unplayable and therefore useless.

So, currently, the price for the DLC are as follows:

Playstation 3:
Standard Edition / Standard Edition (digital download): $39.99
Heavensward Collector's Edition (hard copy): $129.99
Heavensward Collector's Edition (digital download): $59.99

Playstation 4:

Windows:

Steam:
Standard Edition: 34.99
Collector's Edition: 49.99

More info:
http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/heavensward/

* Please note that ownership of the FINAL FANTASY XIV: A Realm Reborn Collector's Edition does not grant you access to the digital bonus content included in FINAL FANTASY XIV: Heavensward Collector's Edition.
* DLC prices do not include a free service (30 days of game-play).

So, what are you guys doing? The Collector's edition comes with the Flying Griffin mount and

Digital Collector's Edition

• The FINAL FANTASY XIV: Heavensward Digital Collector's Edition includes exclusive items to aid you on your new adventures in the city-state of Ishgard and the largely unexplored areas beyond the Coerthas central highlands.
  • Exclusive In-game Items, including:
    • In-game Flying Griffin Mount
      Take to the skies and fly through the clouds on the back of one of Eorzea's ferocious griffins
    • Dark Knight Cecil-themed Baron Helm
      Relive the magic of FINAL FANTASY IV with this specially designed headgear exclusive to the Collector's Edition
    • Wind-up Kain
      Summon a clockwork rendition of Kain Highwind, legendary dragoon from the mythical kingdom of Baron
    • Fantasia
      This mysterious potion grants you a single opportunity to edit your character's appearance

But is that worth paying an additional 15 bucks, on top of your monthly sub? That's 60 you're laying down for a month of game time (if you pay per month), not for a new game, mind, for DLC. OR, are you going for the standard edition? And most importantly, why are you choosing said DLC? =]

I'm willing to eat the asking price of the standard digital download version of the expansion from our PSN (which won't be available until the 19th, when early access actually STARTS, thanks a bunch, Square/Sony :hmph:), as miffed as I am that we don't get a free month from it. If Heavensward will be as big as they claim it will be, I suppose I should be able to find enough in-game justification for forking out the money.

But anything more than that I will not touch with a 10-foot pole. ESPECIALLY the UK price for the collector's edition. $130 in 'murica somehow translates to £130 over here, which is absurd. Unfortunately, people will still buy it and tell Uncle Square that it's perfectly fine to rip us off like this.

EDIT: Plus £130 gives you useless fluff anyway.

Since the digital collectors edition is cheaper for the PC and such I feel the same should be even for the regular edition. To charge a flat $40 seems ridiculous to me since I have no job at present, so this is only going to delay me even further from possibly considering getting the expansion. But given since I do play it I will be getting the expansion later down the road just not right away.

If some are still having trouble with pre-orders I got this link via e-mail. It may not be the digital versions but can still use for ps3/ps4/pc etc.
https://store.na.square-enix.com/final-fantasy-xiv

Hmm, maybe I should pre-order then...I wasn't planning on pre-ordering at first, but I'll bite. Standard edition. Griffin flying mount would be nice, but I don't wanna pay $20 for it and I don't care about the other rewards, so...

Since the digital collectors edition is cheaper for the PC and such I feel the same should be even for the regular edition. To charge a flat $40 seems ridiculous to me since I have no job at present, so this is only going to delay me even further from possibly considering getting the expansion. But given since I do play it I will be getting the expansion later down the road just not right away.

If some are still having trouble with pre-orders I got this link via e-mail. It may not be the digital versions but can still use for ps3/ps4/pc etc.
https://store.na.square-enix.com/final-fantasy-xiv

Where'd you gather that it's cheaper for the PC? (Mind I included Euro signs for Steam) because that's what mine shows. Is this really true, though? Because that's pretty much a rip-off.

I'm willing to eat the asking price of the standard digital download version of the expansion from our PSN (which won't be available until the 19th, when early access actually STARTS, thanks a bunch, Square/Sony :hmph:), as miffed as I am that we don't get a free month from it. If Heavensward will be as big as they claim it will be, I suppose I should be able to find enough in-game justification for forking out the money.

But anything more than that I will not touch with a 10-foot pole. ESPECIALLY the UK price for the collector's edition. $130 in 'murica somehow translates to £130 over here, which is absurd. Unfortunately, people will still buy it and tell Uncle Square that it's perfectly fine to rip us off like this.

EDIT: Plus £130 gives you useless fluff anyway.

I getcha. I feel the same way. I was only considering the one 50 euro one from Steam for the mount, because buying it separately would still make it cost 15 alone. May as well get the other perks. If a lot of people are just going for the standard edition I may just do the same thing, I'm just kinda looking for opinions because I really just don't know at the moment.

I'm grumbling about buying it as is.

Hmm, maybe I should pre-order then...I wasn't planning on pre-ordering at first, but I'll bite. Standard edition. Griffin flying mount would be nice, but I don't wanna pay $20 for it and I don't care about the other rewards, so...

Yeaahhhhh. 15 (probably) for the mount, and then an additional 12 for your subscription... Looking at it like that... Ehh... :lew: It's seems pretty absurd.

I might of had a huge typo there then, but if you look at the link I put in there it gives you all the prices. The first collectors edition for the pc is 129.99, while the digital is 59.99. Then we go down to 39.99 just for the pc version/pc download and ps3/ps4 versions. They are right there at the top if you hover over the names. The 129.99 is the disc version of the game while the 59.99 is a PC download version, so yeah thats $70 difference between a digital copy and disc copy, though the disc copy might have a couple more extras but surely not enough to warrant a full $70.

There's absolutely no issues with shelling out money for an expansion. Yes, you're paying money for more of the same game, but you're paying that money for new content and the like. If you shelled out money to buy the Dragonborn and Dawnguard expansions for Skyrim, it's the same thing. $15 a month isn't much to ask for when it comes to a subscription game. It's not like the price is going to go away anytime soon with the game doing so well, so anyone thinking they shouldn't have to pay it because they bought the expansion while, not unreasonable, are a bit out of their depth, really. Servers that run MMOs aren't cheap, and every little bit helps.

Besides, when it comes down to it every dollar that the game brings in prolongs the game's life and allows developers to make new content. As far as expansions go, the collectors edition is priced around the standard edition of other games (provided you didn't shill out for the physical collectors edition). I don't mind paying an extra $20 for a griffon mount, because that motherfucker looks badass. It's reasonably priced, and I don't mind paying it on top of my sub fee. It's a pretty penny, but the game has been very worth it so far.

I went for the digital collectors edition. While I could have went for the physical, there's nothing I need in it. It's nice to look at, but that's about it. There's no sense in paying that much money for physical clutter, to be honest.

I'm getting the FFXIV/HS PS4 standard bundle (have it preordered on Amazon), so I can play it on PS4 without worry of not having the exp pack for PS4 (since I'm on PC, it won't be hard to find a download for HS by itself).

Back