Hey Everyone

Stark Zodiark

Gil
Hey good people,

I'm a long time Final Fantasy fan, I've played / replayed / replayed again all the numbered titles since Final Fantasy 1, plus some related titles such as Kingdom Hearts 1 / 2. My entry into the series was Final Fantasy VII for the PS1, a game purchased in blindness/curiosity, which I barely chose over Destruction Derby, the craze amongst the kids of the neighbourhood at the time. Amusing that I didn't even know what an RPG was beforehand, much less a JRPG. I knew this had been the best gaming choice I'd ever done until then - after all those Sonic's -, once I saw polygonal meanie Sephiroth murdering polygonal Aeris under that beautiful yet very sad score, after the very detailed story, overlapped by the deep musical themes, builds up and enthrals you in a way only the best storytelling could. I remember the emotional shock of that moment (well, I was a little kid) followed by the also emotional frustration at the game of not letting me use a bloody phoenix down to revive the character, grrrrr. Anyway, I ended up replaying that game about five times (times 80 hours each play, so do the math, it), trying to uncover all secrets and seeing if there was a way to keep the character alive. This was ages ago and I had no "internets" to tell me it couldn't be done!

So that was the beginning of my appreciation for the series. Next I got Final Fantasy VIII, which I think had far better artistic development, though less involving story, yet still managed to addict me plenty.

"Anyroad", fast forward a non-trivial amount of years, and after having enjoyed the majority of games in the series, I'm now active in FFXIV, trying to explore the land Eorzea a bit everyday in the little time I have left after my other sadly non-optional activities, such as gaining my bread ^^.

It was also with FFXIV that I realized there really is a sizeable "community" of fans out there, after starting to search strategies on beating certain challenges in the game, and realizing just how many people were involved in the discussion. I'm aware of the ridiculous number of FF sales, but I'm still really surprised by the level of interaction and cooperation between fans.

Phew, I'll stop here. I have a bit of a habit of long-form posting and it's starting to show, so I'll stop the spam already. ^^

Thanks for allowing me entry into the forums, I hope to get along with everyone.

I dunno, FFVIII's story would quickly become so batshit crazy that it was probably the second most compelling story in the whole franchise for me. :monocle:

Welcome aboard! We have quite the FFXIV mini-community going on here, though we're all on Lamia server. Still, we very much like to see your insight into the game. =D

Welcome new comer! We appreciate you on joining us. Hope that you have fun, post alot and stay active. Thanks for joining our community!

Welcome to the forums! If you have any questions you're free to shoot one of the Staff members a Private Message.

I hope you enjoy your time around here and stay active. :D

Welcome and hope you have fun here.

Hello there, welcome to FFF! FFVIII is one of my favorites. =]

We've got quite a handful of active members playing FFXIV, even our very own Free Company. Still in the baby stage, but it's going really well so far!

Hope to see you around then and let us know if you have any questions. :)

I dunno, FFVIII's story would quickly become so batshit crazy that it was probably the second most compelling story in the whole franchise for me. :monocle:

Well, I meant that "less" in direct comparison with FFVII, not overall. I really loved that whole flashback thing where you played Laguna in Squall's dreams, (whose actions whilst you played him had some symbolic effects in the present), only to then end up meeting him down the end of the story. That was some good story telling for sure, though I think a bit eroded by the whole Ultimecia and Adel tropes, way too stereotyped as evil evil witches to be granted any credibility, even in fantasy. I think what helped make Sephiroth so likeable is that he wasn't portrayed to be the absolute "pure" evil bad guy who only really exists in Disney movies. That said, FFVIII is my third favourite in the series, after 7 and 6, and it was worth every penny when I got it. This was what, 99 or something? Considering when it was developed, and with the hardware limitations faced, it was nigh on being a masterpiece.

PS.: I'm not putting XIV in the ranking though, that's a completely different beast.

Back