Help FFXIII: Long Gui death strategy trouble

bikergamerwriter

Chocobo Breeder
Gil
Hello again.

I've been struggling to use Vanille's Summon-Death-Commando trick to defeat Long Gui pre-end game. I've seen it done plenty of times but I have only ever come close to succeeding once. Usually I don't come anywhere near victory.

I have one Doctor's Code which I can use to get an Elixir.

I know that I can win easily if I use the Elixir to summon again when he gets up, but I only have the one, and after this I still have Vercingetorix to do.

So should I use the Elixir now or should I hold onto it?

I'd hold onto it. Are you abusing Poison + Hecatoncheir's Chain Guns? At lower levels and stats, letting Poison tick down ~half of Long Gui's health is quite important.

Outside of that, the main keys to the Death-->COM spam are Faithra and Enfire + Imperil and Poison, plus you'll want Deshell for your support characters (it won't help Death). It's also important to throw a few Death-->COM hits at ~600% chain, before you stagger; this is the best way to optimize your damage during Long Gui's down time. If you go straight to stagger, the stagger will end well before Long Gui gets back up.

I finished 13 a few months back and now currently playing 13-2. I encountered something similar to that called the Adamantoise. Try using the Assassination paradigm. Get your team buffed up and when Vannile's summon leaves switch to Assassination and start using the death spell until it's defeated. This was the same tactic that I used against Adamantoise. I'm not sure if it will work against that but it's worth a shot.

Last edited:
Just spamming Death from Assassination will not work against Long Gui. Adamantoise is vulnerable to the instant kill, but Long Gui is not. Death is used against Long Gui because it bypasses damage reduction (all of the full ATB skills do this) and can be given an elemental property (unique among the full ATB skills), making Death the highest damage spammable move available (Highwind and Sovereign Fist have higher damage output, but both will reset the chain); to maximize that damage, the COM role bonus has to be added in, and that means lots of shifting paradigms--not to mention all the other stuff that needs to be in place when pursuing a damage-based strategy.

I've been using the chain guns to draw out the effect of poison. Usually I can take about half his hp before the summon leaves. I then re-buff with haste, deprotect, deshell, imperil, build up the stagger gauge, then start using death-commando. I'll keep faithera, enfire and poison in mind, thanks.

Unfortunately, shrouds are not very helpful for this approach.

Aegisol is nearly pointless, since the whole idea of Summoning in this fight is to avoid dealing with any attacks. Fortisol is slightly better, but as the strategy needs both Faithra and Enfire in order to deal enough damage fast enough, all you're really getting out of it is Haste--maybe. I'm not sure if your Summon happens fast enough to prevent your allies from dying to the opening Ultima (no, Aegisol does not help you survive Ultima; it ignores Protect and Shell), and if not then dying and being revived when Hecatoncheir departs wipes out their buffs anyway.

Back