Original A Legacy Written In Blood II: Ascension

Casius Magnus

Banned
Gil
Introduction

"Night has fallen over the city of Blackwater and the wolves are afoot. We find ourselves set adrift upon strange waters indeed. The nature of the soul being questioned even still. The goodness of the heart, tested and failed. And so much blood... So much blood has been spilled on every side.

Now something lurks within the shadows. An unseen, unknown malevolence casting it's fiery-eyed gaze toward the weakness and inadequacy of men. It can smell our fear and uncertainty, feeding upon the darker half of our souls. For all men are sinners, and all men have fallen short of our purpose. A purpose one may never understand in order to fulfil. It is us, you see. That hideous, disfigured and heinous creature crawling from the underbelly of humanity. It is our better, stronger half. The part of us which we ignore and disown. The part that terrifies us so deeply that we block it out, denying it's very existence. It's the part of you that whispers notions of vengeance in your ear, or dangles greed and envy before your fickle faces. It tempts us, not to deny who we are, but to embrace it!

If the path of the righteous man is the proper path indeed, why then should it prove so difficult? Why instead, does the path of the wicked find us so easily, and feel so naturally?

Perhaps because it is the only path set out before men...
"
—Preacher

Chapter 1
"You Look Like You Just Saw A Ghost"

This story is dedicated to Sunal Wolfsbane, my dear old friend

Samuel Blithe sat on the edge of a king sized bed wrapped in silky gold sheets. The expression across his pale, hansom face was cold and lifeless. He was a man visibly torn; burdened. His fine black suit was wrinkled and messy, and his tie hung loosely around his neck.

Under the soft gold sheets, Allison Wattson lay sound asleep. She came to slowly as Sam gently ran the tips of his fingers up her right calf.

"What are you doing, Sam?" she asked in a sweet, caring tone. She was upset by the situation, but wouldn't allow it to show. She would deny Sam his carnal urges and send him on his horny little way.

His gaze did not wander. "Did we do the right thing?" he asked distantly, a great weight upon his heart.

"With Lucavi?" Allison asked. She had to be sure they were even on the same page.

Sam nodded ever so slightly.

"Well. You thought we were at the time," she answered him, sitting up in her bed, hugging her knees, pulling her leg away from Sam's touch.

"Now I'm not so sure."

Allison paused, drawing a deep breath. "We killed a man, Sam. That's never going to be okay," she explained compassionately.

"Technically, we killed a vampire," he corrected her. "A very evil, very manipulative vampire." She flashed a superficial, comforting smile as he looked at her for the first time since she had woken.

"Look. I regret what we did every day, Sam. But I made a choice, because you asked me to trust you. It's not easy, but I've learned to live with that."

Sam looked away, an unspoken pain twisting the pit of his stomach into a knot. "There's still so much you don't know."

"Because you won't tell me," she said passionately as she leaned forward, staring at him intently.

"Because I can't," he whispered, tears forming in his eyes.

Allison sighed, rolling her eyes. She stretched her legs out, turning away from him as she laid back down, pulling the covers over her shoulder. "Yeah. Well why don't you wake me up when that changes."

Sam stood up slowly, walking away from the woman he loved; the woman who broke his heart...

A light dew clung to the forrest floor and the leaves of the small trees and underbrush. A mid-spring dawn in the wilderness surrounding Blackwater. Hunter stands before a short cliff side in human form, eyes closed. Waiting in anticipation for the greatest moment in Lycanthrope history to unfold in his name. Damien, Christian, Calib, Cordelia, Chad, Amber, Lucy, and Tyler stood behind him, spread out around the rocky ledge.

A large, black wolf with penetrating green eyes slowly approached the clearing before them. He remained silent as many more wolves approaches warily, keeping a close formation.

Hunter opened his eyes as he heard Calib release a heavy sigh of resentment and frustration.

"My name is Hunter, and I speak for this pack. By coming here today you've shown good faith, and a willingness to work together... As one. Blackwater and the surrounding areas are open season, so there's more than enough to go around once we've killed the last of the vampires."

Damien stepped forward next to Hunter, sizing up the other pack. They were greater in numbers and their Alpha was massive, looked like he had defended his status a handful of times.

"Brothers, sisters... Welcome to the age of the Lycan!"

*****​

Owen Reznik sat in the common area of the Carfax Mansion on a leather sofa across from Luther Bennett. Luther held a large bottle of vodka, drinking it straight. The large marble fireplace provided a soft warmth and glow.

Sam entered the room from the main hallway, fixing himself a drink from the bar adjacent to the far wall. The three men were silent, although volumes could be translated from the atmosphere in the room. As Sam pounded back a tall shot of whiskey, Lucas Sullivan entered the room in a frenzied state.

"Hey! Anyone got a line on Preacher yet?" he asked randomly. As he awaited an answer, he took notice of Sam, and recalled that he had been looking for him.

"Sam! The Ianetti's are on their way," he explained as though reciting it from a memo.

Luther stood up from the sofa, still holding the bottle of vodka. "I'm going down to my brother's grave," he declared, upper body threatening to explode from his solid navy button down.

"It's not safe, Luther," Sam pleaded. Luther seemed to ignore him as he headed for the back door. "There could be Lycans out there!"

"Perfect!" Luther yelled, throwing a 'thumbs up' in the air with his free hand.

Sam pinched his nose, completely drained. He'd never felt so powerless. Cutting Lucavi loose was supposed to take power back, but the damage had already been done.

"Seriously, I need you on point for this one, Sam" Lucas continued explaining.

"I just, really can't," Sam tried to say, before Luke cut him off.

"Look, I'm going to be honest, they're really pissed right now. And you have this.. 'Thing' with Junior. You're the only one who can handle them. Besides, I think I've stepped up a lot here. It's not easy being you. Please man. I need this one thing from you, then you go back to being a buzzkill," he finished with a smile.

Sam nodded, sliding the glass down the bar, picking a bottle for himself.

Back