questions about XIII universe

zingy1914

Gil
right so im about 8hrs in, just got to the point where lightning and hope leave sazh and vanille at vile peak.

ive been reading the datalogs and hearing from sazh about the war and all that stuff.

what im failing to understand some stuff:

what is cocoone, is it a planet or a dyson sphere? if it is a DS why are humans there, seems like something fal'cie would build.
what is the outer rim? is it in space or some area in cocoon
where are the fal'cie? are they underground? in space?
if the military hate fal'cie so much why dont they get rid of their tech, like the phoenix.
why are they at war?

this game is a little short on info atm, maybe i will find out later but its driving me crazy,

thx! :)

Will try my best to answer without giving too much spoilers :)
1. Cocoon is more like a dyson sphere. The people live on the inside surface of the sphere. There's a 'sun' that is located in the center of the sphere. This sun is none other than Phoenix.
2. From what I understand, Hanging Edge (the first place you were in the game), is located near the outer rim. It's most likely an area where you can exit the inner surface and go onto the outer surface of the sphere. This is possible because there is a hole on the sphere created during the war of transgression in the past. Imagine Hanging Edge located at this junction between the inner and outer surface. It kinda feels like a cliff in between the inside and the outside, hence explaining its name. According to the datalog, Hanging Edge used to be a city in the past, but was abandoned when the hole/crack in the sphere was created. To answer your question, the outer rim most likely refers to the outer surface of the cocoon sphere.
3. There are many different kinds of fal'cie. They are powerful beings that have their own special powers. Some help to sustain Cocoon's survival such as gravity, food, etc. They're basically everywhere. You will find out more about them later in the game. They are able to turn humans into l'cie. L'cie are given magical powers and they have a mission (Focus) that the fal'cie has given them to accomplish. If they fail to accomplish it, they will turn into Cie'th, which are monster-like beings. If they succeed, they will turn into a crystal forever. Either way is a bad outcome for the human.
4. I don't think people hate fal'cie who lives in Cocoon (Cocoon fal'cie). Cocoon fal'cie helps them survive. Without Phoenix fal'cie, there won't be sunlight. What the people hate is PULSE fal'cie and anything to do with Pulse, due to the history of war with Pulse. Hence Pulse l'cie (Lightning, Snow, etc) are also disliked because they are meant to carry out the mission given by Pulse fa'cie (Anima). Though it's not that simple. You will find out later that the millitary/government is trying to plot something related to the Cocoon fal'cies.

I think you might have misunderstood the 'war' spoken in this game. The war is not between the millitary and the fal'cie. It was between Cocoon and Pulse (the planet below cocoon). This happened centuries ago and has long since been over. There's no 'war' currently going on, but there sure is some conspiracy going on with the government (you will find out soon). There are a lot of soldiers going after you because they want to kill pulse l'cies. They fear that pulse l'cie is trying to destroy cocoon, like what Pulse people tried to do centuries ago.

Some find FFXIII confusing, so yeap it's normal to be baffled at this point.

Last edited:
Back