FFXIV
Aoife Linnaete
FFXIV Server
Lamia
Free Company
None
[14/04] Star Ocean 5: Integrity and Faithlessness announced for PS3 and PS4

image2n0x11.jpg

Ah, another day, another underwhelming mobile announcement from Square-Enix...err, wait, what? They're actually funding a new console RPG? An actual Star Ocean game? Made by Tri-Ace, despite recent news that they were bought by a Japanese mobile firm? Are we 13 days too late for April Fools?

No, apparently. Famitsu magazine has revealed that there will indeed be a fifth Star Ocean game, this time for PS3 and PS4, unlike the previous entry's initial release solely for the Xbox 360. Star Ocean 5: Integrity and Faithlessness has yet to be formally announced by Square-Enix, which is likely to be what their teaser site will eventually reveal tomorrow.

Currently there is no word on a release window.

rs1ludjgfvnmwu2kvt9t7rb4p.png

so5_fami-scan-hr_04-1llkj2.jpg

1208314263807569037toqor.jpg

1208314263842912909ner67.jpg

12083142639428140939krl1.jpg

1208314264016588173xxpf8.jpg

12083142640672958856nqnc.jpg

1208314264158661005ljo8w.jpg

1208314264296990605xdrwm.jpg

1208314264352783245rsqkc.jpg

1208314263597867149c0ow2.jpg

1208314263644671373yqo67.jpg

1208314263725625229rdrgd.jpg

From Gematsu:

Currently revealed characters include:

• Fedel Camus (voiced by Kaito Ishikawa) – The protagonist. He specializes at fencing, and protects the order of his village.
  • Miki Sorvesta (voiced by Nao Toyama) – The heroine. She is the protagonist’s childhood friend, and loves him like an older brother. [ugh /Livi]
  • Lilia (voice actor unknown) – A girl who lost both her memories and emotions. [ugh /Livi]

The magazine also has screenshots of a blonde swordsman and blue-haired witch participating in battle.

Battles are seamless and in real-time. Depending on the distance between you and the enemy, the way you attack changes, and pushing buttons consecutively will trigger combos.

In addition to traditional event scenes, there will also be “seamless events” such as those where enemies attack you. If the enemy apprehends your allies during these events, there will be branching outcomes.

Here’s the game’s staff:

• Developer: tri-Ace
  • Character Designer: Akira “Akiman” Yasuda
  • Producer: Shuichi Kobayashi
  • Director: Hiroshi Ogawa
  • Lead Programmer: Yoshiharu Gotanda

Last edited:
as much as i love this, i have a strong suspision this will NOT sell outside Japan, or at least wont get the chance right away.

I'm actually really excited about this. Haven't played any of the other games in the series, but the PS4 sorely needs to expand its JRPG library. I'll definitely plan on playing the series to get caught up for this when it gets closer to release! I'm confident it will get localized.

I'm actually really excited about this. Haven't played any of the other games in the series, but the PS4 sorely needs to expand its JRPG library. I'll definitely plan on playing the series to get caught up for this when it gets closer to release! I'm confident it will get localized.

Make sure to grab the psp version of the first. Not to be shallow, but it looks really nice. The music too :ohoho:. I've heard that the PSP remaster of the 2nd game only improves on the 1st too so...yus. You should definitely try them :lew:.

I'm also excited for a new more standard JRPG for a current gen console. Can't believe there haven't been more of them already considering Sony consoles normally go to town with this genre. I'm looking forward to using that witch with the green hair, by the way. I hope she hates everyone else so bad.

I'm actually fairly pumped for this. Although, I do worry SE may rush tri-Ace, and give us an "incomplete" product. Fingers crossed it won't happen, though.

The fact that it's still going be on ps3 shocks me... Wouldn't it be better to just focus on ps4? :hmmm: welllllll I guess it's good... Just hope it doesn't get rushed, like Rowe said.

Hope it plays more like Star Ocean 1 and 2 over 3 or 4 also.

so is this a date sim or an action adventure rpg?

that title haha

edit: im tired as fuck i read faithlessness as faithfulness :ffs: still, a strange title though.

I am really excited for this. I have always really enjoyed the Star Ocean games (played them all). I hope this is released outside of Japan.

Really exited, huge Star Ocean fan... only question is where are they going to insert this in the timeline... can't wait!

The fact that it's still going be on ps3 shocks me... Wouldn't it be better to just focus on ps4? :hmmm: welllllll I guess it's good... Just hope it doesn't get rushed, like Rowe said.

Hope it plays more like Star Ocean 1 and 2 over 3 or 4 also.

From what I've read, it'll be taking most of its cues from 3.

Really exited, huge Star Ocean fan... only question is where are they going to insert this in the timeline... can't wait!

You can see the timeline in this trailer.

this could be either really good or really horrid (timeline / story) ... can't wait to play it!

Whoa! This has to be a miracle! SE is saving the JRPG genre. I am stoked because of this announcement. I love the Star Ocean series. I played all the games except for three (which is still sealed in my box for some reason). It is great to see that this game will be different and more of an open world with seamless battles and events. The main character is even older than Edge Maverick! I love "mature" main characters, but I can see Fidel going somewhat crazy like Edge at a certain part :wacky:

As for character designs? Hmm, well, Star Ocean is known for a more "anime" feel with the designs, but I guess my favourite design so far has to be Miki or the knight person. Miki rather reminds me of Alicia in Tales of Zestiria, but she has a cuter look. Lillia is obviously going to be the new Lymle who does not remember anything. These common tropes in JRPGS are getting boring, but I am so glad that another entry in the series is coming. The witch girl looks INCREDIBLY WEIRD.

Lastly, I noticed the title is called Integrity and faithlessness. Essentially, they are pushing honesty and dishonesty as major themes. It is quite a change, and I wonder if by choices, the main character will be able to become evil. It was like this in previous Star Ocean games, but not as bad, and you certainly never became evil.

On a side note, this shot is beautiful.

SO5_Fami-shot_04-17-15_010.jpg

My only complaint about Star Ocean V is that it isn't being built from the ground up on PS4.

Last edited:
This is a small gripe, but I really hope they don't bring MP killing back. I loved the third game, but that was one of its faults. >_<

Star Ocean 5 for PS4 Gets First Gameplay Trailer, Announced for Western Release

During its E3 2015 Digital Event, Square Enix announced the western release of Star Ocean 5: Integrity and Faithlessness.

The game will be released in North America and Europe only for PlayStation 4 in 2016, skipping the PlayStation 3 release, which will remain exclusive to Japan.

You can check out the band new gameplay trailer below, combined with the English version of the older timeline trailer.

https://youtu.be/1h99NTMAKW4

www.dualshockers.com/2015/06/16/sta...ameplay-trailer-announced-for-western-release

Star Ocean 5 for PS4 Gets New Character Artwork, Shows the Protagonists

During a livestream from the E3 show floor, Square Enix showcased five pieces of character concept art introducing five playable characters in Star Ocean 5: Integrity and Faithlessness.

Incidentally, we also get the official English version of the names of three of them, Fidel Camuze, Miki Sauvester and Relia. The other two are still unnamed and their names were marked as “???.”

Star Ocean 5 will be released in the west next year only for PS4, skipping the PS3 version, that will appear only in Japan. In the meanwhile, You can check them all out in the gallery below.

http://www.dualshockers.com/2015/06...-new-character-artwork-shows-the-protagonists

Star Ocean 5’s Battle System Will Be Similar To That Of Infinite Undiscovery

Tri-Ace are working on the latest installment of their sci-fi RPG series with Star Ocean 5: Integrity and Faithlessness for PlayStation 3 and PlayStation 4. Key developers recently shared more on the game’s development in an interview with 4Gamer.

In the series’ timeline, there are still plenty of stories that have yet to be told. As a result of looking at what kind of story might be interesting, it was decided to do something that takes place between Star Ocean 2 and Star Ocean 3.

There are fans that may think that it would be difficult to have a sequel to Star Ocean 3, but they say that if they give it some thought, then itwould be entirely possible.

The story’s concept is in the subtitle “Integrity and Faithlessness”. This subtitle hadbeen decided on prior to prior to the scenario.

Star Ocean 5’s lead programmer Yoshiharu Gotanda of tri-Ace originally wanted Star Ocean 1 to be 100% sci-fi, but due to a trend at the time, he was told that it wouldn’t sell without any fantasy elements, and decided to abandon the idea.

Producer Shuichi Kobayashi revealed that the main-numbered Star Ocean games have a pattern going. The odd-numbered titles have protagonists with blue hair, while the even-numbered ones have blonde protagonists.

Star Ocean 5 protagonist Fidel is 23-years-old, but Gotanda originally wanted to make him older. However, after thinking about Star Ocean 5’s story, it felt more natural, although they didn’t want to make it into a story of “a young man saving the world.”

The reason why the title logo and character models have designs similar to Star Ocean 1 through 3, in addition to the platform choice, is all part of a plan to let fans know that it’s the latest entry of the series they’ve been waiting for. (It’s also noted that it wasn’t just a sensationalist decision, but one that was decided on after doing some marketing research.) The modeling was a result of making something with a Star Ocean-like mood to it.

Private actions, events that diverge depending on bond, and item creation will all be in Star Ocean 5. Square Enix are being careful not to make the item creation too complicated, since some people weren’t too happy with the one in Star Ocean 4, so they’ll do their best to make it better.

Japanese RPGs tend to insert cutscenes that interrupt gameplay, but Star Ocean 5 will have scenes show up seamlessly during events. However, that doesn’t mean there won’t be any cut scenes, as they’ll include the important ones the traditional way.

As far as battles go, the fields where you encounter monsters will become the battlefield, and that’s where the fights will take place. The feeling is said to be close to Infinite Undiscovery’s battles. Think of it as Infinite Undiscovery’s system as a base but in Star Ocean. Again, Infinite Undiscovery had a bit of an MMORPG-like complex feeling to it, but Star Ocean 5’s will be a bit more touched-up and intuitively easier to play.

Once battles start, the camera angle will automatically change to one that follows the back of the character, which gives it a viewpoint that is easier for combat. There will also be a free camera option that lets you move the camera around while in combat.

You can have over six characters in your party. This will depict a larger version of Star Ocean’s fights, and will have a function that will make it even more enjoyable. There won’t be any special types of control mechanisms you’ll need to learn, so the basics will remain the same. It won’t require you to always be keeping an eye on each character’s HP bar.

The party member’s AI can be changed by the player.

The UI that was shown in the recent trailer is different from what they have in the current build, and there are still a lot of hidden things we’ve yet to see.

Since “seamless” is one of the concepts behind Star Ocean 5, each party member will be always be shown while moving and while fighting, so that means you won’t be able to select your party members for combat. However, this doesn’t mean that you’ll always have huge parties, but it will change as you go along with the story.

Kobayashi: “I definitely would want to make a Star Ocean 6 and Star Ocean 7. As long as there’s room for more new titles and the ideas for them, I have a sense of duty to keep the series going. Then again, thatdepends onhow well Star Ocean 5 sells.”

Star Ocean 5: Integrity and Faithlessness will release this winter in Japan for PlayStation 4 and PlayStation 3.

http://mobile.siliconera.com/home/2...be-similar-to-that-of-infinite-undiscovery#10

Back