Build-A-Member
Chocobo Egg
FFXIV
Aoife Linnaete
FFXIV Server
Lamia
Free Company
None
One inescapable downside of a multiplayer game as opposed to a single player game (unless you're streaming the gameplay to an audience on the internet) is that when you derp, people will notice.

So in this thread, let's talk about moments in the game that caused you to want to leave a duty ASAP, curl up in a blanket and rock back and forth. They can be relatively minor moments of self-inflicted inconvenience because of your own stupidity, or moments when you single-handedly caused the wipe of a raid party just as victory is a minute away.

----------------------------------------------

A Low-level duty roulette ensues. I have a White Mage that needs levelling up and I figure a good, speedy low-level dungeon run with a roulette EXP bonus at the end will do the trick. To my surprise, I get Titan Normal Mode (I had forgotten that story mode trials also come under the low-level roulette). Having faced Titan in both of his far more challenging difficulties, I figure that the normal Titan would be a serene stroll in the park by comparison.

Who is in my party? I've seen the newbie message pop up, so I know there is at least one new player to this fight. It turns out that we have a new Summoner in our ranks who is still sporting that green sprout icon. The Summoner seems to know how the fight operates, because he eschews needing to take in advice from our Paladin tank. This will be a doddle, I think, as the tank charges in Leeroy-style to the centre of the stage to take on this Incredible Hulk reject.

Titan jumps up and prepares Geocrush. When this happens, all players must run towards the edge of the arena, stopping short of the pulsating red boundary, lest they wish to be knocked off. Easy, right? Nope. My third-party controller's left analogue stick decides to fail me at that very moment, culminating in my character casually running off the edge of the arena before Titan's Geocrush has even come down. As far as my party is concerned, their derpy healer has just committed suicide for absolutely no reason. The poor Summoner is confounded at first and unceremoniously finds himself on healing duty for the second half of the fight.

I just hang my head in shame. Duty is cleared and I vow to utter not a single word to my party members as I quickly evacuate myself from the duty. Not the sort of performance you would expect to see from someone with a <Bearer of the Torch> title.

My recent one (which was yesterday) wasn't humiliating as Livi's...but still slightly awkward. I recognized someone who used to be in my old FC (Se7). She was talking with RaijinDark and I unintentionally interrupted their convo because I had right-clicked on her character and accidentally scrolled down to "Invite to Company". I got confused and thought it was View Company or something, I don't know. Anyway, it sent her an invite. She turned and looked at me. She politely declined and said she wants to go solo for now. Relieved and embarrassed, I said "Lol no worries, accidentally sent an invite. We actually aren't accepting applications yet."

And then I just wanted to leave. I think I logged out five minutes later.

I've had the Titan thing happen to me. :lew:

Once I was gathering at unspoiled nodes and I accidentally aggro'd a mob of enemies on my way to the node. For those who don't know unspoiled nodes only appear once an hour or so and players stake these spots out; you only get one shot at it before having to wait for the next one to pop.

Anyway rather than pulling away from the node and losing aggro safely I pulled THROUGH the gatherers just as one of the enemies was winding up an area of effect attack, which ended up landing on all those players and ruining their opportunity at that node. I cut my loses and ran off in shame in the hope no one would remember my username. :wacky:

Harlequin - Shame on you! That almost happened to me once, actually. Last week, in fact. I was too impatient to enabled Stealth mode, but being the smart player that I am, I led the enemy away from the Unspoiled Node (even though I was only a few feet away). It was a good thing that Jmajor told me about this 'trolling' method a few weeks ago too as I didn't know about it and that it would've affected those poor players. It's always a good thing to avoid.

I haven't had any embarrassing moments in the game since my last recent one, but I'll probably be back here soon enough.

...Well that was sooner than later.

Anyway, I came across a macro rotation for my one-star recipe. http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/threads/176426-My-100-RNG-Free-40-Durability-1-2-Star-Rotation

Copy/pasted the macro sets. There's five of them. Tested it at least five times crafting Twinthreads and all NQ mats gave me HQ quality - 100%. I was so stoked that I wanted to show @Harlequin so I figured...why not stream it here and show him later? So I started streaming and did the macros, five or six times. All gave me NQ quality. :dry: Something went wrong with the macros (I can tell because it was giving me errors) and I was trying to figure it out while in the middle of Tom bringing in his new recruits. So I tabbed out of the game, went to OBS program and clicked "Stop Streaming"...or so I thought. I didn't know it had continued recording when I went back to the game...

So the whole hour...meeting the new recruits and bouncing off the walls in the FC chat...I was being recorded, along with my thoughts...live. Apologies if you all witnessed that!

back when titan hard was a thing and tons of people were having trouble with it, i walked off the edge during a carry

Mitsuki, Tom and I go off to do some treasure hunting. We've a bunch of Peisteskin maps and we're hoping to cash in on some good Gil and loot from it all. So we're all out with our Chocobos ready in attack mode to happily zerg down whatever pops up from opening a treasure coffer.

Lower La Noscea: an Alpha Chimera and a horde of adds appear. All 3 of us are well-geared for it. Mitsuki's a Bard, Tom a Paladin and I a White Mage of an item level i115.

I do my usual thing: Holy spam. Moderate damage flies out and the enemies are momentarily stunned. Deciding to fatally tunnel-vision for a good minute or so, I continue to dish out some heavy DPS, while forgetting that I don't have a Scholar fairy with me to act as a crutch for when I also need to get some healing done while I'm raining down pearly damage on the enemy mobs.

All of a sudden, I realise I have to get out of Cleric Stance, stop dealing damage, and do some actual healing. These enemies are gleefully paralysing everyone in the party and I have to Esuna it all off. While I'm doing this, the adds multiply and Tom is getting his arse heavily kicked, despite valiant use of cooldowns. I'm busy firing Esunas off and am too slow to actually get the Cure IIs and Medicas out. I should have popped a Regen on Tom, but I momentarily forget that ability exists.

It gets to the point where my Esunas aren't quick enough to keep up with the amount of paralysis debuffs being hurled at us, while Tom's HP is dropping faster than the Greek economy. I know I have to fire off an emergency Benediction spell to instantly top up his HP to max. I reach for the button and I hit the Chocobo mount button instead. No! I cry, where is Benediction? I can't find it on my hotbars (it's actually on the hotbar, but for some reason I fail to see it). Next thing I know, Tom drops dead, I have heaps of status ailments on me, and Mits is having her face chewed in.

We die. A wipe because of me. Lost that one map.

Last edited:
Lol.. never send a sch in as a Whm. J/k oh my how painful Sorry to hear about the lost map. When I derp next I'll fill you in.

I think the most embarrassing thing I've done is just cleric stance healing. I hate realising that I've been doing it. Especially if it has led to a death or two. Seriously, you point that out to me in game and it'll ruin me. I'll probably even stop DPS for the remainder of that dungeon... hahaha

Aside from that, a more specific example would have to be a Satasha run with a group of new players. I had just started healing as a conjurer, if I recall correctly. With my new healing job I was feeling extra confident with my abilities (as I had already levelled my Bard to 40 or something), so I started grabbing mobs of enemies and brought them all to the tank. Which is the worst thing you can do. The result of this was that we have an undergeared newbie tank trying to keep agro of at least... 8+ enemies and failing miserably. Then you have me, with terrible healing gear, failing to keep up. Half way through this pull I realised that I messed up horribly...

The tank dies. Then the DPS die. Then I die. And it was entirely my fault. Add in some condescending comments in the chat and you have me feeling terrible.

Learnt a lot that day :|

Back