Disappointed in video gaming.

Thule Esperada

Blue Mage
Gil
This feeling of disappointment has been haunting me for a few years now. I'm finding it more and more difficult to get excited for new game titles nowadays, and what few have seemed interesting have always left me unimpressed or worse, disappointed. In the past I could get exited for games, and all the great ones felt like great experiences to me. But nothing released today has given me that sence of adventure or wonder. Everything just seems so mundane and lacking in imagination, whith more and more game developers making their games take place in the real world, I find myself bored. Even fantasy titles all have the same generic game worlds with lifeless grassland/forest areas. Why call it fantasy, if I can literally go to the woods near my home to get the same visual experience.
Anybody else feel similarly, and if not, then how do you keep your interest up?

Sorry for ranting. Just wanted to get it out of my system, since it's been bugging me for so long.

man when is the last time you've walked outdoors and seen some shit like this:

ffxiv-heavansward-01-1280x720.jpg

A lot of the fantasy games are grounded in reality in order to make them something fans can relate to, relevant and even sometimes give us the chance to look at ourselves (i.e. human nature, society etc.) in an objective way. This is nothing new to the game industry, it's something we've been seeing in retro games and older titles like Final Fantasy II, IV, VI and so on. One of the most engaging aspects of Final Fantasy VII was how starkly it reflected human folly, our society and greed as well as our capacity for compassion and kindness. The entire game was basically grounded in reality and augmented by fantasy.

Now more than ever we need a little magic in our lives, which is why we are seeing the impossible made plausible in a real world setting. Even in the film industry, we're seeing superheroes struggling in the same gritty world we live in, showing us a different kind of wonder and awe, as well as a belief in the possibility of attaining the extraordinary. This is why, I think, we're seeing many games depicting such real life settings (although there are still some pretty obvious differences as pointed out above :D).

Then again, maybe you're just not into gaming anymore. Maybe it's a sign that it's time for you to move on to something else. :hmmm:

Then again, maybe you're just not into gaming anymore. Maybe it's a sign that it's time for you to move on to something else. :hmmm:

Basically this or overall gotta accept the gaming industry is changing, or (like me) you gotta try games you normally wouldn't try.

With Mobil gaming on the rise, more game genres focusing on multiplayer modes, and more trying to get the younger generation to play their games, it's kinda hard for us older gamers to really get what we want.

For me who was always a jrpg nerd, I actually went out and tried different genres.

Sure I like fighting games in the past, like Mortal Kombat or Soul Calibur. Also liked an adventure type games or platformer type of games, but it was mostly Jrpgs for me.

Maybe in this new generation of gaming, you gotta maybe try stuff you normally didn't.

For me I got into more adventure type games, like Infamous, Tomb Raider and Last of Us. Also got into Novelish type games (think of telltale games.)
Maybe you just out grew gaming in general, or it might be, like me, where you didn't really give other genres a chance in the past but now who knows?

It could even be the industry just has changed too much for ya sadly. If you told me 15, or even 10 years ago that mobil gaming would be a huge market outside of maybe angry birds, I'd laugh at you. Now, it's just as big as PC and Console gaming.

I'd say just maybe try games you'd normally never try, if you really can't find games every couple months you can't sink into, then you might of just outgrew it sadly, or it has just changed too much.

I hope I'm not growing out of them. Outside of games, I don't really have any other pastime. I don't have friends or that many interests to begin with, so I'd be left pretty bored.

Maybe I'm just going through a phase, or I just need to be patient and wait for that one thing that rejuvenates my interest in the medium.

man when is the last time you've walked outdoors and seen some shit like this:

welllll mmos are also pretty notorious for not really being friendly to those prioritizing real life over games. not that i am suggesting they should, but to play an mmo and be good at it, i think it's pretty much a given that you are a hardcore gamer of some sort even if you aren't the most competitive kind

tried playing ffxiv with my friend and he just gets bored of it too quickly. we got to like lvl 20 before he just stopped playing it and was complaining about the sub fee.

and i mean normally i really dont get it because i shit $15, but it's just shitty to pay $15 for something you are only able to play like 8 hours out of the week or less. like literally, my life is sleep work home game sleep lather rinse repeat, so it's not an issue for me - but if i was working more than i already am i really couldn't justify paying a subscription fee.

i mean you could always try it out to level up and see some of the games content quite, but i can see how crappy it feels to buy a game for $30 and then have to pay $15 the month after if you haven't even played it that much.

But yeah it's a feeling that isn't too uncommon nowadays. Pretty much the only thing I am ever excited for is a new expansion and Blizzard already fucked that up for me. I'm looking forward to Heavensward, though!

I think the main reason why your disappointed is due to Last gen sucking, most horrible gen for gaming with the PS3, 360 and Wii. This gen with the WiiU is already looking like this is going to be a VERY good gen(To those who own or buy a WiiU) Havn't seen anything worthwhile on PS4 or One yet.

FFIX... Destroyed my soul. Executed a devout gamer and disciple of the Squaresoft Creed. It was the single biggest let-down in the history of mankind. Greater even, than when the Shroud Turin was discovered to have been a fake...

It brought tears to my eyes, hatred and wickedness to my soul. That horrendous, blasphemous piece of sub-par juvenile shit marked the death and downfall of the greatest, most epic and powerful franchise in the history of mankind. It killed a legacy; defiled something sacred and holy...

Then came X... Oh, X... X was the last hope for Michael The Gamer, and the birth of Michael the soulless, joyless wanderer which stands before you today.

Yeah, two games that slap you in the face within the first 10 minutes, telling you sternly to, "Go fuck yourself, goof! Your money's no good here!"

Hmm, I wouldn't say I completely identify, but I do think as we get older and games are forced to be less of a priority than they were at some earlier point in life, we are naturally less able to get really engrossed in them. I know for me, I can still get very hyped about a game, but after it's been out for two or three days I'm already finding that while I enjoy it I have other priorities and I end up skipping out for a day or two before coming back to it. There are some times I still get really hooked on something and put hours and hours into it, but just in general my relationship with games is much looser than it used to be. At this point I've just accepted that fact and I enjoy games for what they are when they can--I don't try to recreate the epic feelings of the past that I know I will never be able to experience quite the same way again.

For one thing, at this point we're well-used to games having deep stories and great graphics--heck, we're even used to them having great motion-captured live-action performances. A big element of what made games so mind-blowing before has been lost forever because there will never be that jump from SNES to N64 again, or PS1 to PS2, or 480i to 1080p.

Back