Reintroduction

Cross

Gil
I've been away from this site for like 6yrs and don't know if I even introduced myself back then, So here goes.

Hello everyone

My real Name is Jim, I'm a starting out indie game developer, and I live stream my development stuff on Twitch http://www.twitch.tv/sharky111111 And during my time off I stream games. I'm also a HUGE fan of Square soft, however I can't stand square enix........ I wish the old square soft would come back. I enjoy roleplaying, but rarely get to do it anymore due to a lack of people to play with(I'm often the GM) so if anyone is interested in helping me start a group or want to invite me to join them shoot me a message. Heck for any reason at all feel free to message me.

Hi Jim-but-not-that-other-Jim, welcome back.

What kind of games do you like to play, and what kind of games do you make (or perhaps want to make/enjoy working on)? What kind of stuff have you made in the past? Additionally, what kind of work do you do on these indie games? If you are on a solo creator, ignore the last one.

Yes, I could make guesses at what kind of games you enjoy based off the fact that you like Squaresoft games but not Square Enix ones....but I like to be surprised. I did check out your Twitch and saw you did a recent stream of Starbound, so we're already off to a good start.

Hi Jim, nice to meetcha! :sir:.

We have a Twitch embed thing around here so that people can watch the streams from this very forum. It's purchasable from our mog store and it's reeeeally fun to use :lew:. Might be worth a check?

See you around! :)

Hi Jim-but-not-that-other-Jim, welcome back.

What kind of games do you like to play, and what kind of games do you make (or perhaps want to make/enjoy working on)? What kind of stuff have you made in the past? Additionally, what kind of work do you do on these indie games? If you are on a solo creator, ignore the last one.

Yes, I could make guesses at what kind of games you enjoy based off the fact that you like Squaresoft games but not Square Enix ones....but I like to be surprised. I did check out your Twitch and saw you did a recent stream of Starbound, so we're already off to a good start.

Games I like to play? Pretty much everything with a few exceptions, I do not like 1st 2nd 3rd or 18th person shooters(with the exception of valkyria chronicles, which is a lot more than that) and I do enjoy side and top down shooters. I also don't like games that aren't games Like gravity simulators(flappy bird) labeled as game's. If I had to label my favorite's they'd be RPGs, Tactical, and Action games

what kind of games do I make? I don't limit myself by saying I only make this kind of game, but what I do, do is make very original games normally story driven even if thats not the main focus of the game, and I mix tons of genre's in order to accurately portray a sense of accuracy, and a more in dept and fun experience without over doing it in any one area ruining the game(it's a dangerous balancing act sometimes) but to sum it all up, I make fun original games that are unlike anything else but I don't completely break the molds in the process so you can still feel comfortable playing the game.

As for what I enjoy working on? Well it depends on the moment but game development isn't all fun, but is all games. most of the time I enjoy what ever I'm working on, but sometimes.... It drives me nuts and I don't want to touch it XD, but overall it's very rewarding and very hard. It's not a job for anyone who lacks a SERIOUS commitment toward making games, or those who don't like working hard, but if your serious about making games and don't mind working hard and learning billions of new things then I would recommend seeking advice on how to start, because most people fail because they started wrong, although I've seen a very RARE few that still made it starting the wrong way but they still regreit starting that way.

What kind of stuff have I made in the past? Well there's tons of stuff that I've made and not completed(due to starting out the wrong way myself :S) as of stuff I can show I only have 1 thing

http://ludumdare.com/compo/ludum-dare-31/?action=preview&uid=44294

Make sure to read the page or you might rage quit XD it's a 100% free game with no ad's or anything. I made it in 3 days by myself(excluding the 1 song in the game) in a game making contest, I finished top 25% or better in every catagory although some I finished top 5%. it's hyper short only 2 stages which can be beat in less than 2 mins total. Not a great game by any means but for basically nothing invested it's pretty cool(litterally XD)

Additionally, what kind of work do I do on these indie games? Well on the game above I was solo besides the music, since then I formed a team of 4 of us total(counting myself)

I am the Designer, Writer, Asst Programmer, Business manager, Team Leader, and Asst Artist
Manderxan is the Lead Programmer, Environment Art Lead, and Lead Character Artist.
Cavedens is the Sprite Art Lead, and Animation Lead.
Alukart3 is the Lead GUI artist, Lead musician, and Lead SFX

Here's a concept I was made like 2 weeks ago during a live stream

http://imgur.com/OTwEa00

The idea is pixel art transforming and combining mechs, but for what kind of game it'd be or if we'll actually make it(we most likely will after how many people really love it) We don't know, but I'm working on a better more detailed original one in stream, and back and forth between it and our current game(depending on if I get a mental block)

The current game we are working on is a Tower defence/offence/RTS/Survival/RPG game (Like I said earlier we make completely original games going to accuracy by mixing a whole lot together it probably sounds crazy or like it'd be crap but there's a specific reason for each part) but the main core of the game is Tower defence and the 2nd main being RTS. We hope to be nearly finished with chapter 1 in 3 weeks, but we are unexperianced with timing ourselves like that, so no promises XD. Chapter 1 will be 100% free with 0 ad's and released for Android, Tizen, HTML5(web based) and PC. So if your reading this then theres at least 1 platform you can play it on if not 2 3 or 4 XD. each chapter will contain several boards, and story. you'll be able to purchase the game in your choice of 3 ways(I like giving people good options and not ripping people off) you can buy it buy the chapter 1 at a time for cheap(How cheap? I'm unsure ATM probably like 0.99-$2.99 area) you can also buy the complete game(even if its not done it'll download updates till it's completed) (how much? Even less of a clue... probably in the $9.99-$19.99 range) and then there will be future DLC after the story and everything in the complete game, and That'll be a completely unknown price thats more than the complete game version ofc. And rest assured that no matter what the price by the chapter will be more expensive than the others IE we aren't going to screw over our fan base that were loyal from the begining with the full purchases, and make it to where they'd saved money by buying it seperate. Our fans happiness is one of the most important part of Nexus Games :) and that will never change for as long as I control it(Which I don't see control ever changing hands till I die at least)

Hi Jim, nice to meetcha! :sir:.

We have a Twitch embed thing around here so that people can watch the streams from this very forum. It's purchasable from our mog store and it's reeeeally fun to use :lew:. Might be worth a check?

See you around! :)

Yeah I'm intending on going for that so I'm saving up my gil XD a long ways to go from what I can tell ATM though :(

Interesting information there, Jim! Welcome to FFF, and glad to hear you're back with us 9 years later. xD I'm hoping that the Twitch integration will be to your liking when you do purchase the item. You're almost there!

And good luck with your gaming endeavors. You've got a pretty solid team there, so keep up with the commitment. If you need anything or have any questions at all, feel free to PM me or any of the staff members. :)

P.S.

That pixel art concept you created is pretty awesome. Which program did you use?

Interesting information there, Jim! Welcome to FFF, and glad to hear you're back with us 9 years later. xD I'm hoping that the Twitch integration will be to your liking when you do purchase the item. You're almost there!

And good luck with your gaming endeavors. You've got a pretty solid team there, so keep up with the commitment. If you need anything or have any questions at all, feel free to PM me or any of the staff members. :)

P.S.

That pixel art concept you created is pretty awesome. Which program did you use?

Thanks, Yeah our team has already had tons of really big trials we've had to face, So much so that it's not likely we'll face any harder than those, and we made it through flawlessly:) I hope it will be too, and I think it will.

The pixel art concept... Depends on which your refering to...

vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv The voltron leg one
transformation gif at 400%-0.jpg
http://imgur.com/OTwEa00 (the one you can see won't animate like the file actually does so check the link to see the animation)That one was done with MSpaint and Spriter

If your refering to the new one thats got lots of blue and a lil of red, and grey metal parts, that I'm currently working on in stream I'm doing it in Paint.net and spriter.

I look forward to checking out this new game when you release it. Update us, yeah?

Also, just going go ahead and say this: loyalty to your fans is fantastic, but don't lose sight of what you want to make, either. Like you said about genres, it's a careful balance.

Welcome! Glad to have a fellow indie game developer around :yay:

That's awesome that you've already got a team together and are building an audience on Twitch! Best of luck to you in your endeavors!

I look forward to checking out this new game when you release it. Update us, yeah?

Also, just going go ahead and say this: loyalty to your fans is fantastic, but don't lose sight of what you want to make, either. Like you said about genres, it's a careful balance.

Yeah I'll keep the forum up to date, and if you want to stay 100% up to date you can always watch live on twitch.

Yeah loyalty to fans will always be a VERY high priority, because the way I see it the better you treat your fans the more they love you and the more copies of your game sell's due to Continuous fan purchase's, as well as word of mouth from our fans to reach those who never heard of us, the ultimate grass roots $0 marketing strategy^^ Yup, Don't get me wrong we will make sequels, but not just for the fact of capitolizing on fans, there will be a reason for fans to want it, as well as future fans.

Welcome! Glad to have a fellow indie game developer around :yay:

That's awesome that you've already got a team together and are building an audience on Twitch! Best of luck to you in your endeavors!

Yeah I actually met my team on Twitch while I was watching other game developers to pick up tips and such, and met all but 1 of my team members(one came from my previous failed team and he was the only one worth keeping and he was worth FAR more!)

I am! I've been using GameMaker since version 5 but only recently started seriously learning it (obviously I've moved up to GameMaker: Studio by now). I'm currently working on developing an engine that I and another member of this forum plan to use to make RPGs and visual novels. It's got a website, but we're still in the very early stages.

I am! I've been using GameMaker since version 5 but only recently started seriously learning it (obviously I've moved up to GameMaker: Studio by now). I'm currently working on developing an engine that I and another member of this forum plan to use to make RPGs and visual novels. It's got a website, but we're still in the very early stages.

Ahh cool My team uses GM studio ATM, but we are talking about either going with a custom engine of Unreal 4 when we make the move to 3D but till then sticking with GM studio. RPGs are very hard to make, I suggest starting with something easier till you guys have worked together for a bit, because you need as unstressfull as posible game to prevent tearing your team apart.

Ahh cool My team uses GM studio ATM, but we are talking about either going with a custom engine of Unreal 4 when we make the move to 3D but till then sticking with GM studio. RPGs are very hard to make, I suggest starting with something easier till you guys have worked together for a bit, because you need as unstressfull as posible game to prevent tearing your team apart.

Yep, that's exactly the plan. The engine is being developed in stages, with the RPG stage being the last major element. In the meantime the engine will suit several simpler genres, and will improve as we use it to make real games. Of course eventually I'd love to move up to Unity (only toyed around with it) or Unreal Engine (I've made a few simple maps before) but those are still distant future. Sounds like we have similar progression goals!

Yep, that's exactly the plan. The engine is being developed in stages, with the RPG stage being the last major element. In the meantime the engine will suit several simpler genres, and will improve as we use it to make real games. Of course eventually I'd love to move up to Unity (only toyed around with it) or Unreal Engine (I've made a few simple maps before) but those are still distant future. Sounds like we have similar progression goals!

Unity is too rich for my blood and Unreal is at a good price

Back