Usefulness of Gau's Rage ability?

Gavindale Marchovia

ShinRa Guard
Gil
I had posted two questions before, about Stago's Lore skill and Relm's Sketch skill, and it was established that neither skill needs to be used in FF6. What about Gau's Rage skill? Is it optional like the other two skills?

It's completely optional. I find that Gau is useful if you know what the bet skills are, but that's too much trial and error for me when you can just use a bit of normal magic etc. I tend to avoid using Gau because of how he has a berserk-like status when you use him (pretty much).

I never used him enough to know which skills are great and which are shockingly bad. Maybe someone else knows how to use him effectively?

Rage is optional however Gau can become the most powerful character in the game by building it up right and certain Rage's are incredibly useful (especially during the WoB). Rages give Gau access to strong magic very early on (and at no MP cost!), status protections and a range of special (e.g. instant death) attacks that can be exploited.

Some recommended Rage's that make Gau a beast in WoB are:

Anguiform: Aqua Rake (Multi-Target water damage)
Aspik: Giga Volt (MT thunder damage)
ChickenLip: Quake (Powerful MT earth damage. Fantastic when used with Gaia Gear armor)
Marshal: Wind Slash (MT wind damage)
Stray Cat: Really powerful in WoB. Not so hot in WoR... unless you exploit a certain equipment set-up which makes Gau a super god.
Hazer: Bolt 2
Bomb: Blaze (MT fire damage)
Dark Side: Ice 2

There are many many more. Djibrial's Final Fantasy III/VI Rage Guide (google it) has everything you need to know about Gau and his Rage ability.

The problem with FF6 for me was that it was too easy to end up using the usual suspects for battles. I don't think I have a single playthrough where I didn't end up using Edgar, Celes and Sabin. So that's only 1 character I varied.

Back