Guide FFXIV: Macros

Six

𝗦𝗼𝗹𝗶𝘁𝘂𝗱𝗲 *★.• ·
Staff member
Admin Support
Social Media Team
Veteran
Gil
Here you can discuss your favourite macros or discuss why (or what) you dislike macros. You can also give tips and suggestions.

Here's a few macros and tips of my own:

Tip 1: If you have been using the pre-selected macro icons, try typing /macroicon "enter skill name here" - this will change the icon to your desired icon instead.

Tip 2: If you use a Swiftcast + Raise macro - make sure you can reach this button easily by knowing where it is, but make sure it's not easily "pressed on accident"

Tip 3: I like to give the party a small piece of information when using macros, especially when Raising or Sleeping.

-----------------------

Swiftcast + Raise/Resurrection

Code:
/macroicon "Raise"
/ac Swiftcast <me> 
/wait 1
/ac Raise <t>
/p Swift/Raise used on <t>. Swiftcast cooldown for 60 seconds as of right now. <se.5>

This will notify (mostly for the other healer) that my swiftcast has been used. So they're on the next Swiftcast duty.

-----------------------

Raise / Without Swiftcast

Code:
/macroicon "Resurrection"
/p Raising without Swiftcast. No action for 8 seconds! <se.11>
/ac Raise

As you can see here, I used a different icon so that I don't get confused on which button to press when I know my Swiftcast is on cooldown. When I'm going to Raise without Swiftcast people in my party should be aware I can not heal them for 8 seconds. My icon shows Resurrection (from the Scholars) so that I don't get confused on which "Raise" to use. Having two "Raise" icons on your hotbar can be a real pain if you're not a 100% familiar with your hotbars.

-----------------------

Repose/Sleep

Code:
/macroicon Repose
/p <se.11> Casting sleep on <t>. Please do not attack.
/enemysign ignore1 <t>
/ac Repose <t>

All my macros (party info wise) play a sound when I hit them, this notifies everyone in the chat I'm doing something. Whenever I sleep a target I've made sure to put an ignore sign over the target's head so that the DPS knows to ignore them.

-----------------------

Mark Hunt Macro

Code:
/macroicon Prospect
/shout Hunt found: <t> || <pos>

This last one isn't party related. What this does is when I target a Hunt I've found while strolling the cities of Eorzea and hit this macro it will throw out a shout for people that may need this mark. POS will mark the location on their map if they click it. It's really just to help your fellow players out.

These are mine so far, I'm sure I'll make more soon. I'm also working on a countdown one for the main scenario duties. Always useful when we're on the cannons.

So yeah, let's see yours!

I like the layout. Stealing it.

Tips:

Tip 1: If the message is important, i.e. raise/resurrection, Eye for an Eye, Virus, Hallowed Ground etc. makes sure to add a sound effect to it. Add <se.#> during your alert message. Replace # with anything between 1 and 16. For example:

Code:
/raise <t>
/p "Raising <t> without swiftcast! Duck and pucker, because you aren't getting heals!" <se.3>

Tip 2: If you want a message/sound effect to pop up and notify you, but not pester your team, you can use /echo and only you will see the message.

Tip 3: Macros work well with crafting classes. Any item I can 100% guarantee, or have a ton of HQ items I need, I craft using macros.

Tip 4: Macros were designed to be inefficient compared to a human player. Consider the pros and cons of using a macro instead of just learning to make an addition to your rotation. The fact that macros can't queue attacks is a good one, but the best example of this is that all wait times are rounded up to the nearest second. Which leads right into #5 ...

Tip 5: Not everything should be a macro. Quit being a lazy piece of shit. Looking at you, Ninjas.

Tip 6: If you want to force a macro to complete without being interrupted (I use it in my HUD switch) use /macrolock.

Tip 7: The game includes a flushed (but not complete) list of syntax commands in game. On the User Macros page, look to the bottom right corner of the window. Text Commands is what you are looking for. It has most commands and an example of its usage.

Tip 8: You can have fun with your macros, but keep text to a minimum. I can't/won't read a paragraph of your bullshit just to figure out what your macro is for during a boss fight. KISS: keep it simple, stupid.

-----------------------

For the record, I have mouse forward and backwards bound as Ctrl+Alt+[ and Ctrl+Shift+]. I have a hidden hotbar, unhidden to show here. I bind this hotbar to my macro thingies and items/general skills I use a lot. Here are my relevant macros.

Benediction/Mouse3 Panic Button

Code:
/macroicon "Benediction"
/p "Benediction out! <se.2>"
/ac "Benediction" <mo>
/ac "Benediction" <t>

I prefer Benediction to be somewhere super accessible. Mouse 3 is my location of choice for all panic buttons, including Hallowed Ground and Lustrate.

-----------------------

Level sync and reapply poison

Code:
/macroicon "Kiss of the Wasp"
/macrolock
/lsync
/ac "Kiss of the Wasp" <me>

You can replace the poison skill for anything and this would work. Level sync removes active buffs, so you will constantly find the need to reapply relevant ones. Poison is kind of a biggy for me, and level sync is very out of the way for me when I arrive at a FATE...so I use this to keep the train rolling.

-----------------------

I NEED A HORSE!

Code:
/macroicon "Mount Roulette"
/ac "Mount Roulette" <me>
/mount "Company Chocobo"
/mount "Fat Chocobo"

Since SE keeps FUCKING UP MOUNT ROULETTE, I decided to make a macro to just bypass the issue as a whole. Used to be, mount roulette would let you mount while your chocobo was out, then it wouldn't, then it would again, then you couldn't use it while it was stabled...This solves that issue by checking through the list of available mounts. It checks if roulette works, then the GC chocobo and then finally defaults to the fat chocobo.

-----------------------

Tank Marking Macro

Code:
/enemysign attack1 <mo>
/nt
/enemysign attack2 <t>
/target <attack1>

This is another one that was rendered defunct by SE during my hiatus. I haven't been able to get it working perfectly again, because sometimes it fails to switch targets, but...it's meant to do this:

Mark mouse target as 1 > Switch Target > Mark current target as 2> Switch to target 1

I may just need to do something like put /target <mo> at the very start to make it work again. Haven't really tanked much since my return, nor do I care to do so atm

-----------------------

Fast Blade > Fight or Flight

Code:
/macroicon "Fast Blade"
/ac "Fast Blade" <t>
/wait 1
/ac "Fight or Flight" <me>

FoF is a skill that I underutilized for ages, and this macro helped me to keep the buff up every time it's available. As a Paladin, I wasn't terribly concerned with this skill but reconsidered its merits in late-game content. For those who are unaware, Fast Blade is the first skill in the Paladin's basic rotation.

-----------------------

HUD Switch

Code:
/macrolock
/hud dlist
/hud igrid
/hud gil
/hud mmenu
/hud server
/hud param
/hud sfx
/hud ebar
/hotbar display 1
/hotbar display 2
/hotbar display 3
/hotbar display 7
/hotbar display 8

This toggles on/off information that I find useful during dungeons or walking around. Examples of it seen here.

That is really just the tip of the iceberg. Like I said, I also use macros for crafting, but my rotation is useless to you if you don't know my equipment and food buffs...which I'm not going to look up atm. There is a ton of possibilities for macros, and many classes/parties will benefit from yours.

I'm making a new raise macro because I noticed other healers and I have been wasting swiftcast/raise on the same targets. I copied the layout of what you wrote here but for some reason after activating swiftcast it doesn't follow on with raise. Yet if swiftcast isn't available, the macro uses raise just fine. Any idea why that might be the case?

/macroicon "Ascend"
/ac "Swiftcast" <me>
/wait 1
/ac "Raise" <t>
/p blah blah blah

I can't remember having this issue before. The game just hates me

Last edited:
I'm making a new raise macro because I noticed other healers and I have been wasting swiftcast/raise on the same targets. I copied the layout of what you wrote here but for some reason after activating swiftcast it doesn't follow on with raise. Yet if swiftcast isn't available, the macro uses raise just fine. Any idea why that might be the case?

I can't remember having this issue before. The game just hates me

I think I read somewhere it had to do with "Ascend", try using the Raise macro icon and see if it still happens. I know for a while Ascend wouldn't even Swift-raise in-battle. :ffs: Hope it works!

For the purpose of updating just in case someone stumbles upon this, what Six said worked. I think!

Well I noticed that if I changed the wait time to 2 seconds, it would work without fail even with the Astro ascend icon. But when I changed that as suggested, it worked with the original one second delay between swiftcast and raise. Which makes no sense to me at all! Maybe some weird Australian lag was messing with it. xD

I would like to thank the dps who I let die in my daily roulettes earlier so I could test this.

I feel like macros are useless. By the time, you are going to hit swiftcast and then obviously you switch hotbars (in my case) and then hit Ascend or resurrection. I have seen some very funny macros, and I would enjoy it, but it honestly seems unnecessary. Seems pretty complicated, but what do you guys use macros for specifically? I find I play the game fine without them. In addition, how do they work? Is it an auto raise or an auto notification that you buffed yourself? Don’t get me wrong, they can be entirely useful for mechanic wipes and stuff, but I don’t know how that works if you already know the mechanics yourself.

I use a Macro for my Bard that has all the buff abilities in it, because switching hotbars on ps4 is confusing sometimes so I decided to save space and put them all in one.

the /wait doesn't work on it (idkw but it doesn't matter), I just spam it till I'm fully buffed (raging strikes, blood for blood, internal release, hawk's eye, barrage) and then continue.

Back