Single Character Chalenge?

Sheechiibii

Paladin
Veteran
Gil
Okay so I played through FFX recently-ish (when it was remastered) and completed the entire game, did all side quests and filled up the whole sphere grid etc. I've played this game so many times but I've never done a challenge like No Sphere Grid or Single Character. Right now I'm leaning towards doing a Single Character challenge and I'm thinking of using Yuna. Just wondering if anybody has any tips? What character do you think is best for doing Single Character? Tidus sounds fun, but I think it might be too easy since he's a very well rounded character. Admittedly I almost always put Yuna down Auron's grid first chance I get and make her super powerful anyway, which is possibly why I'm keen to use her. Also, should I use the Standard or Advanced sphere grid for my single character run?

I don't personally see why that would be particularly fun but to each their own.
What I would point out is that it may not be possible with Yuna because there are quite a few instances in the game of bosses who will insta-kill summons. Which means she'd have to beat those bosses with physical attacks and magic. It's obviously technically possible but given where she starts on the Sphere grid, it's probably quite hard.

I ended up going with Tidus instead of Yuna just because there were less parts of the game that he couldn't fight. It was challenging, but not hard really, even though I kept him only to his own grid. It did mean that I had to actually make sure his equipment was suitable for the battles and keep him hasted etc at all times. It was definitely fun though.

I don't personally see why that would be particularly fun but to each their own.

I'm thinking the same thing, but also the fact that at times during the game aren't you forced to go into battle with certain characters that would force you to use someone else who will definitely be very under-developed?

I think Tidus would be the easiest since you will use him the most and the earliest in the game. If you've gone into this challenge since it has been some time, I hope it's worked out for you and enjoyable.

I'm always interested in challenges like this too. I got pretty far with Cloud on an FFVII fight once but the robot in the underwater reactor destroyed me. Did you attempt this in the end Sheechiibii ?

I've never been too keen on solo challenges for any RPG. If I did go that route here, I'd easily stick with Tidus; he's the most well-rounded of the group, and can turn OP quickly (compared to the rest).

I'm always interested in challenges like this too. I got pretty far with Cloud on an FFVII fight once but the robot in the underwater reactor destroyed me. Did you attempt this in the end @Sheechiibii ?

I did! I ended up going with Tidus and I found it so much fun, much more challenging than playing with the whole party, and it made me use everything I could, items, weapons, swapping armour and weapons during battle. In the end though I didn't die very much, so it wasn't as hard as I'd expected, but it was so fun I did the same challenge with FFIX with Zidane and that was great too, and much harder especially the last few battles of the game. I think I'm going to try with FFVIII next.

I'm glad you are having fun with these single challenges, I get how it would make you use most of your items, but for me using everyone is what makes RPGs so much fun. But I think a bigger challenge would be not using the main person, so instead of Tidus... use Wakka or something. since you are going to FFVIII next, I suggest using Selphie! I actually almost never used her the many times I played/replayed the game.... just find her sooo annoying! but good luck :elmo:

But I think a bigger challenge would be not using the main person, so instead of Tidus... use Wakka or something.
Or maybe... Kimahri. :gasp2: Now that'd be a challenge.

Oh, and good luck to anyone soloing the Dark Aeons and such. Haha. I still haven't beaten Dark Valefor in Besaid with a full party. :dry:

Problem is alot of these games have segments where you cant use certain people or certain characters join alot later. What do you do up until then or at these moments? What's the etiquette?

Problem is alot of these games have segments where you cant use certain people or certain characters join alot later. What do you do up until then or at these moments? What's the etiquette?

In FFX I just use everyone when Tidus wasn't there, and never used their levels to make them stronger. In FFIX I did the opposite, I only used Zidane, and then whenever he wasn't there I used Steiner who I trained as reserve basically lol.
Rowe
I'm pretty sure it's actually impossible to complete a Kimahri-only challenge, unless you break the rule of not using anyone else's sphere grid. Or so I've heard anyway. If I were to do it again I'd probably use Yuna.
Snoopy
Me too really, it's just that I've replayed these games to death, so I wanted to try something different and I think it made me see the mechanics of the battle system very differently. There are a lot of great and useful things in the game that I usually never really have any reason to use. I don't think I could possibly tolerate a Selfie-only challenge. Possibly Quistis though, I've never used her as a party member often and I've never cared to look into her Blue Magic abilities, maybe she'd be fun to do a solo challenge with.

I'm pretty sure it's actually impossible to complete a Kimahri-only challenge, unless you break the rule of not using anyone else's sphere grid. Or so I've heard anyway. If I were to do it again I'd probably use Yuna.
Therein lies part of the challenge, on top of the fact that he has the worst stats of any character (I believe). :lew: I'd rather use Rikku to solo, if I went that non-Tidus route.

Back