Final Fantasy: Type-0 HD - What to expect?

Vivi-Gamer

Veteran
Gil
Vivi
Hello Ladies and gents,

I'm sure many of you are aware of the re-release/remake of Final Fantasy Type 0 upon us in March. I find myself feeling cautious. To me the game still doesn't have that normal Final Fantasy feel. I am well aware it is not a numeral title so it can be considered a spin off, but really feels different.

I think what initially makes me cautious is the stereotype anime set up of a boarding school. It simple doesn't appeal to me. I mean Final Fantasy VIII obviously has a similar set up with the Garden, but you break free from that as you become more of a mercenary on mission for the Garden - which then breaks away through the plot devices within the story anyway. So I never had that dampen the experience within VIII. But with Type-0 it feels quite set to the whole boarding academy style which I may find hard to overlook.

I could go into more detail but i guess what I really want to hear is impressions from people who have played the game through the PSP version, their thoughts on the game (Without spoilers obviously) and to what FF game in the series you feel it relates to closely. Last thing I want is to be let down like I was with Final Fantasy XII, but then other people loved that game, so I think hearing to what previous FF game it feels closer to is important. So anyone out there who can lay it down for us?

I'm really curious about it too. Though I'm more worried about the story than about the setting. I don't want spoilers either obviously, but I'd like to know if it's got a sad ending or not, because from the trailers it looked quite dark compared to many FF games.

It probably uses the same Crisis Core/KH engine. The most common disappointments I'm expecting to encounter are stale, recycled environments and lack of any real exploration.

I am not really expecting a lot from it though. It's not like it was a big hit or anything, so I don't expect it to be amazing. God Eater: Burst got more praise than Type-0 did.

Yes, I don't mind the notion of the game having a similar combat system to Crisis Core as I quite enjoyed it. But I hope the environments arent as bland. I mean the visuals are certainly far more impressive, but that means nothing if the locations feel empty.

Also, I hope that the story is dark and it's not just seeming dark due to it's violent imagery. I dont want Final Fantasy turning into Gears of War haha.

Im expecting an above average PSP game under the guise of a ps4 game.

They already said they wont make big changes to it. The overworld is reminiscent of dissidia. Perhaps even better, but nowhere near as close as what people expect a ps4 ff overworld to be.

Overall...when I played the patched version, not all characters received enough care and attention. Clearly Ace, Queen, Six, Rem, and I forgot whats his name with the lances are the main characters.

I played the Japanese version as much as I could, and if I didn't know it was Final Fantasy going in, I would not have thought I was playing a Final Fantasy game. It just feels so different. I really hope SE doesn't continue it's descent in this direction in terms of their games.

Oh I wasn't expecting much of a world map, certainly nothing like the realistic proportioned one of Final Fantasy XV or XII so I am fine with the Dissida styled map - Though can you roam on it, or is that just for the strategy based missions?

I mean for anyone who hasn't seen it. there's a brilliant video showing the conversion from PSP to PS4, they've certainly put effort in:

It concerns me you mention that Sean, as that was the same feeling I had with Final Fantasy XII, it just didn't feel like a Final Fantasy at all, more like and Orge game due to the people working on it through development. I hope I don't react as badly to it as XII - Which was my biggest disappointment in gaming I've ever had.

Oh I wasn't expecting much of a world map, certainly nothing like the realistic proportioned one of Final Fantasy XV or XII so I am fine with the Dissida styled map - Though can you roam on it, or is that just for the strategy based missions?

I mean for anyone who hasn't seen it. there's a brilliant video showing the conversion from PSP to PS4, they've certainly put effort in:

It concerns me you mention that Sean, as that was the same feeling I had with Final Fantasy XII, it just didn't feel like a Final Fantasy at all, more like and Orge game due to the people working on it through development. I hope I don't react as badly to it as XII - Which was my biggest disappointment in gaming I've ever had.

You can roam on it. Strategy based missions appear from time to time, and are either story-related, or side quests. But for most of the time, there's no strategic missions going on in the areas, and you can roam freely. There's towns (pretty crapy designed Imo) and also secret caves and other cool stuff.

I never played Crisis Core and just recently started reading up on Type-0. It kind of sounded to me like a mix of FFX-2 and FFXII gameplay. Definitely going to get this on release day next week. It crept up fast and didn't realize it was coming put so soon.

Back