FFXIV
Aoife Linnaete
FFXIV Server
Lamia
Free Company
None
ffxv-cat-cam-tpgsfhxof.jpg

Meow.

At the Taipei Game Show, Final Fantasy XV producer Hajime Tabata shared a teensy sliver of information, this time in the form of footage. In it, a train station area still in development is shown (likely an area in the kingdom of Lucis). Similar to the "dog cam" at the last Tokyo Game Show, this time a "cat cam" is used to take us to nooks and crannies where the player would not ordinarily be able to visit. The purpose of this is to detail areas without triggering any scripted events that can be construed as potential spoilers.

In addition, Tabata demonstrated an extended version of the snow train sequence seen in the recent Jump Festa trailer. In it, Noctis has to brave his way through the train carriage in the midst of rushing cold air. This particular environment is distinctive, as it has been created not in Japan, but by XPEC Entertainment, a Taiwanese-based studio. Unlike previous games in the series where Square-Enix have been content with total in-house development, Final Fantasy XV's development involves considerable collaboration and outsource work with many outside studios working on various facets of the game.

“We’ve tasked a Taiwanese development firm to provide us with critical support,” Tabata said.

Nova Crystallis

That train station has a serious cat problem!

There must have been between 50-100 cats just wandering about, falling asleep, eating dinner provided for them on a plate.

The station looks okay. It looks as I'd expect a station to look though, I guess. Nothing distinctive about it apart from all of the cats.... I can imagine that they'd remove most of the cats when the game is released, unless some are kept for an easter egg or something.

I say keep all of the cats!! The catcam was a very cute way to showcase different parts of the very common and ordinary looking station. I'm sure they'll find a way to make it look a little extra special and unique post-development, although this game is supposed to be based in realism, so... maybe ordinary is what we'll get.

The train station looks better than something you would see in Lightning Returns, at least. I actually really like the design, but I can see that it still needs tons of development. This game is not going to be out this year at all. Some sneak peeks we see still need some major development. I am predicting a late 2016 release for Final FANTASY XV, and that is being generous.

Sitting confirmed, nice.

This may not be the most photorealistic game we're expecting to see on the PS4/XOne in the next year or two, but boy, it sure is going to look pretty in its own right. There's that much detail just from geometry, ambient occlusion, and ray-traced shadows? Sheesh, it's going to look amazing with textures and shader effects! And on that note, holy heck that's a lot of work yet to be done. I'm not surprised to hear SE's having to outsource to their other studios to get this thing done.

At this rate, FFXVI is going to need as many different teams and studios to develop for as your standard Assassin's Creed game these days! :awesome:

I definitely like the design of this station. For some reason, architecture in a game is really important to me or at least stands out to me about them a lot. I like looking at a pretty environment... -_- And sure, I think the cat thing is cool, but really? A cat showcase? What about the game's story, the game itself? I would've liked to see more of that. And that train part at the beginning looks like a train part that was already done in another FF. I wished they didn't do that; just do something original that'll make us remember FF15 and not...some other one.

So all we saw from this video was a cats ***hole... I don't mean to be vulgar but I don't see the point in these promotional videos, they aren't cute and they're just an utter waste of time.

But to ease up on Mr. Critical, I have been impressed with the recent development of XV, since Tabata has taken the helm of the project it's been steering ahead to great potential. I can't wait to get my paws on it with the demo in March (?)

rm of footage. In it, a train station area still in development is shown (likely an area in the kingdom of Lucis). Similar to the "dog cam" at the last Tokyo Game Show, this time a "cat cam" is used to take us to nooks and crannie

Back