Chocobo Egg
FFXIV
Aoife Linnaete
FFXIV Server
Lamia
Free Company
None
car-cut-ffxv-demon1u4h.jpg

Players looking to drive the car around in the upcoming Episode Duscae demo, come sit round the table with me. Bad news have come. Director Hajime Tabata has told Polygon in an interview that the a critical component of the FFXV footage we have seen thus far - the car - will not be drivable. Why? He told the website that he did not want players to think that the game is all about driving.

“Originally we were planning on making the car be available to drive throughout the world and throughout the demo,” Tabata said. “But we didn’t want people to mistake it and think ‘When did Final Fantasy become a driving game?'” Instead, the team has gone and refocused the demo to be more about exploration and something that would seem more familiar to long-time players of the series.

“You’ll be able to experience the starting point of what an open-world Final Fantasy would potentially feel like,” he continued. “You’ll really be able to experience that seamless Final Fantasy world within the demo itself, but then if you play it, you’ll still really get a sense that it’s a Final Fantasy game. You’ll get that balance within the demo.”

Those looking to get their hands on the now driving-less Final Fantasy XV demo will have to quickly buy first-run copies of Final Fantasy Type-0 HD this March to secure their download vouchers. As of yet, there is no word as to when the demo will be made available.

Nova Crystallis

This is so lazy and stupid, Square Enix. Sure, go ahead and take out the car that will likely easily get you around because it encourages exploration but do not give such a stupid argument as if FF will become a driving simulator. How stupid can they possibly be? This is like if Kojima were to take out vehicles in Metal Gear because the game is about war and not driving. Seriously, what a shame this is. So if I were to go drive around a Jeep in MGS as if I am playing a racing game, does that mean MGS is all about driving? Hello, Square Enix! Wake up!
If they are doing this why not scrap the car altogether? *shrug*

Already secured my copy of Type-0 HD, but I was looking forward to driving that beautiful car. I thought the focus of this game supposed to be like a road trip. What the hell, Square Enix?

Hey, wouldn't this mean your overall play time of the demo will be artificially extended without the car, thus artificially adding more value to your $60 purchase of a single remastered PSP title? :awesome:

By the way, a quick list of things the demo WON'T have:

- Lestallum/Restarum - whatever the romanised name for that Havana-inspired town is from the trailer last month

- Magic

- Drivable car

Hey, wouldn't this mean your overall play time of the demo will be artificially extended without the car, thus artificially adding more value to your $60 purchase of a single remastered PSP title? :awesome:

- Lestallum/Restarum - whatever the romanised name for that Havana-inspired town is from the trailer last month

- Magic

- Drivable car

Not really. It depends on how the player will use the car to explore or rush. It is aggravating to see so much promotional material on Episode Duscae having to do with the car but now all of a sudden SE is in the right to remove it. Just think about it, the game might not be out until the end of 2016 and they just removed the fucking car from the demo. It is not even there anymore because they removed the driving. I do not even see how this extends playtime. The demo would be the exact same thing with the car, provided the player is not doing story only. In addition, we do not even know if the car is only limited to highways as of now. Maybe an upgrade can make it go off road thus making the car more useful.

Let me ask my previous question. If they are so scared the driving will make the game feel like a driving simulator, why not remove it altogether?

Because without a car, players can't dash from A to B as quickly (well, as relatively quickly) as they would with a vehicle. Since players can cover more ground in less time with a car, they can perhaps get to missions faster, or get to mission objectives faster. Therefore, to such a player, the demo would be far shorter than it would be for someone who likes to see everything. If there is no car, players may actually feel like they have to explore.

I mean, I can't make that any clearer.

As for the rest of your post, well, I dunno. I can only guess and say that this demo is being royally rushed. I think they might have pushed themselves into a corner by promising a demo with Type-0 HD (in order to maximise pre-orders, sales and encourage as many fans as possible to jump into current generation, so the install base is beefy enough for FFXV when it finally comes), and the team isn't exactly ready to push out a demo that adequately conforms to the vision they put out.

So I reckon things were jettisoned in order to get something out of the door. Whole mechanics are jettisoned, such as magic - a key component of any Final Fantasy game, and of any RPG. I imagine this is probably the true reason why they ditched the car for the demo, because Tabata's reasoning here sounds a wee bit flimsy. If he thinks a demo with a car can mislead prospective players, then what about a whole damn game featuring a lot of cars?

Only Square-Enix can make a demo that is unrepresentative of the final game.

This is basically why I hated the idea of driving from point A to point B for a game that is about exploration and discovery. So far in every Demo/trailer when it came to driving was long straight paths of nothing and then seeing a landmark. We have yet to see how a car is so necessary.

This is precisely why im worried about Final Fantasy XV, it'll be just another Final Fantasy XIII-2 where there are just multiple paths.

Making this game feel like a road trip is the BIGGEST complaint I have about this game. Has anyone ever been on an actual Roadtrip? Its long amount of driving looking at nothing while every 30 minutes is seeing something interesting, a gas station, or another car. They are NOT fun, nor are they adventurous. And thats what gripes me about the idea of the game centering around that idea.

I want to literally explore, and find secrets that are managable to find. I want to literally find my own path, not present me with one and tell me this one is the most convenient, because most times, im probably going to take it to save time from doing anything productive.

I hope that when airships are confirmed, they take you to places you could never get to.

But its what they said that makes all the difference...in fact I've been following everything they've been saying when it came to the car...it worries me "GREATLY". how much exploration are we going to be getting when the full game is released?

if they think we're going to consider ff15 as a car simulator, its only because of what they've been telling us.

- Magic

- Drivable car

Doesn't sound like much of a demo don't think I feel so pressured into getting type 0 now after all. :dry: A FF demo where you can't cast magic is just sigh...
More and more square turns FF into action games rather than RPGs like they used to be as a result we can't control full parties/different characters anymore graphically the game looks gorgeous but the gameplay I do worry from what I've seen of it is going to be more watered down again.:hmm:

Back