Ashe/Rasler

flowergirlssoldier

Flower Girl
Gil
It has been a while since I've played this game, so I can't remember the exact name of the prince that Ashe marries at the beginning of the game and, maybe it's just me, but I feel like their relationship doesn't get talked about enough! So I decided I would start this thread to talk about the relationship that we never really got a chance to see much of. I would've been really interested in seeing more of their relationship either within canon or the fandom. :)

Well, I'm not really sure that I 'like' Ashe and her husband, Rasler together to be honest :hmmm: If you read Ashe's story, she was forced to marry Rasler because she needed to secure a safety--alliance between her kingdom, Dalmasca, with the Lord's kingdom, Nabradia. Although, the time period, is consistent with the era of political arranged marriages, still I don't personally believe that is right. It even talks about how the Lord was involved with different factions, who they wanted to assassinate Ashe's father. (He may have not committed the crime, though he spoke with the faction that did) He refused her hand in marriage because of the corruption of the politics and the factions plans to commit crime. This-- and because he wanted to protect her. I read her story-- and yes, she forgave him, but I always felt uneasy about the guy.

You can read about it here : http://finalfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Ashelia_B'nargin_Dalmasca

Noooooo! Dx I always had a strong love for Rasler and Ashe! Well, betrayal and stuff hasn't stopped me from shipping before :p Anyway, I'll definitely have to read more into FF12, since I never got to finish it since my brother decided it would be cool to steal my PS2 and then sell all of my games. [grumbles]

Noooooo! Dx I always had a strong love for Rasler and Ashe! Well, betrayal and stuff hasn't stopped me from shipping before :p Anyway, I'll definitely have to read more into FF12, since I never got to finish it since my brother decided it would be cool to steal my PS2 and then sell all of my games. [grumbles]

I mean in the story that I did read, I didn't find anything saying he hurt her internationally, but she apparently got really upset because she hadn't known why he denied her.

Tell your brother to give your games back haha :P

It's a pretty damn good game.

Well sadly he sold all of my games Dx But I am hoping that I can rebuy them all eventually. And yeah like I said I'm going to have to look up Rasler's and Ashe's stories again, so I can be up to date on stuff.

Although within the context of the beginning of the game, I really thought they were sweet together and I was like, "Ah darn it," when he died.

Well sadly he sold all of my games Dx But I am hoping that I can rebuy them all eventually. And yeah like I said I'm going to have to look up Rasler's and Ashe's stories again, so I can be up to date on stuff.

Although within the context of the beginning of the game, I really thought they were sweet together and I was like, "Ah darn it," when he died.

Well for sure buy them as soon as you get the chance :gasp: Teach your brother a lesson not to mess with you ;)

I think they're a really good looking couple without a doubt, I felt like they had him die to add to Ashe's story, ya know?

Yeah, I agree with that. Ashe wouldn't have progressed as a character had Rasler not died. He definitely had to die to progress the story, but I still wish we'd gotten to see more of him. Though, I think if we hadn't, we wouldn't have liked him as much, according to what you said.

Yeah, I agree with that. Ashe wouldn't have progressed as a character had Rasler not died. He definitely had to die to progress the story, but I still wish we'd gotten to see more of him. Though, I think if we hadn't, we wouldn't have liked him as much, according to what you said.

Well Ashe did forgive him in the story that I had read, and it was only speculation on my part on whether he was a "bad guy" or not. I can't say that I don't like him, because I didn't know him well enough to conclude that... I just found it rather suspicious that had conversations with the fraction and keeping it a total secret, and denying Ashe instead of telling her right away.

I hadn't read Ashe's story before but I always knew the marriage was not one of love but of convenience because they wanted to negotiate peace between their kingdoms. I'm pretty sure that was mentioned at the beginning of the game, and in the scenes where they're interacting they never looked in love to me, they just looked like they liked each other and were looking forward to getting to know each other.

Well I haven't read too deep into FFXII's backstory, but I always got the impression Ashe and Rasler were the sort in that yes, they were forced, but they accepted it and committed themselves to make the best of it together. Sort of like because they were put in the same political position they could sympathize with and understand each other and that itself made their relationship work. That being said, I think Rasler's death didn't break her nearly as much as it only made her stronger. Because she chose to love him more than she just happened to fall in love, she was always in control of her emotions. And that only carried over to greater strength of will as the story progressed.

So yeah, I suppose while I like the relationship, I am happy with it as-is because of how it develops Ashe as a character. And I always sort of got the feeling she'd end up with Vaan. Not in the course of FFXII, no, but further down the road.

And I always sort of got the feeling she'd end up with Vaan. Not in the course of FFXII, no, but further down the road.

Funny, I somehow see her with Balthier down the line :hmm:

But back on topic.

I think Ashe and Rasler did have true love for each other, were they "forced" to get married? Yes, but we forget that this was a common practice with royalty, and even with nobles in the middle ages, (which the game tries to take from.) And I think that even though it was forced, they still found a way to truly love one another. Ashe even becomes stronger in a way thanks to Rasler, like Kiritos said.

I feel in the FF world this relationship gets overlooked because it was established before the game (kinda like Rosa and Cecil in FFIV) so we don't see it grow at all....

Back