FFX-2 HD Remastered: Last Mission

I liked it, it was interesting, challenging and I'm glad they added it on. It felt like an epilogue at the end of a long book and it was nice to see the girls moving on after their adventures, if a little sad since
the message is about how friends often drift apart when their lives go in different directions.

But all in all I liked it. It was entirely different from what I expected, but cool anyway and definitely worth playing.

Yeah, at first I was kind of mad because well, I didn't like the fact that you know everything changed between the three girls at all! But then I started to realize that... it's life sadly. I didn't like the aruging and bickering that went on during those scenes at all. I felt like it was just a little too soon after the defeat of Vegnagun. Maybe if they gave it like, a year? I dunno the timeline kinda bothered me because well, I didn't feel like it made sense. I felt like they were really vague about Paine too.

As far as the battling, it was alright though I much preferred my standard fighting style of FFX2.

I agree though, it was a really good epilogue for the game and it was a neat idea to see what was up afterwards.

Well I think 3 months is a fair bit of time, especially considering Yuna and Paine weren't actually with the Gullwings for that long before X-2 started, and the game didn't take place over a huge amount of time either. I don't think it's unrealistic that after 3 months things would be different. I didn't like the bickering, but I really enjoyed the final scene at the very end, even though it nearly brought tears to my eyes because it reminded me of my own friends who I rarely ever see any more. But when you think of the girls personalities, it does make sense that they wouldn't get along that well because they're very, very different and they all want different things.

Well I think 3 months is a fair bit of time, especially considering Yuna and Paine weren't actually with the Gullwings for that long before X-2 started, and the game didn't take place over a huge amount of time either. I don't think it's unrealistic that after 3 months things would be different. I didn't like the bickering, but I really enjoyed the final scene at the very end, even though it nearly brought tears to my eyes because it reminded me of my own friends who I rarely ever see any more. But when you think of the girls personalities, it does make sense that they wouldn't get along that well because they're very, very different and they all want different things.

I see your point.. I guess that does make sense as far as time.. maybe a year would've been just a little too long. Yeah, I agree the final scene is very touching and sad, all at the same time. I can definitely relate to it as well because it's a very realistic situation. Honestly though, how could they work together if they were so so different, ya know? I mean I would've expected some argument in the game but I don't recall any.

I see your point.. I guess that does make sense as far as time.. maybe a year would've been just a little too long. Yeah, I agree the final scene is very touching and sad, all at the same time. I can definitely relate to it as well because it's a very realistic situation. Honestly though, how could they work together if they were so so different, ya know? I mean I would've expected some argument in the game but I don't recall any.

Well Paine got annoyed at Rikku a lot during the game, and at Yuna sometimes too, and Yuna got annoyed at Rikku a few times also if I remember correctly. I think because they all had a common goal and they were all working together for the same cause they didn't have as much reasons to argue about anything. Once their time was free and they were off doing different things...they had less keeping them rateable to each other. If I remember right:

Rikku doesn't agree with Yuna wanting to settle down, which wasn't a problem when they were working together since Yuna didn't want to settle down and live peacefully then. Paine as well, she wants to write a book about their adventures, and Rikku thinks she should be out having more adventures instead. Paine thinks Rikku should figure out what she wants to do with her life.

These issues didn't come up before because they were all on the same path at the time, they all wanted to be sphere hunters for different reasons. It makes you think, a lot of the time in these games the heroes end up becoming friends when they are in a situation they never usually would be if there wasn't an adventure going on. Would they all get along if they didn't have that tying them together? Or would their lives go in different directions? It's really bittersweet. What they say at the end gets to me every time I watch the scene:

“Who knows when we'll see each other again. Maybe we never will. Still, we'll always have our memories. The three of us laughing, the three of us fighting. Someday we'll all look back and remember the time we spent together. And even if we do grow apart, those moments that we all look back on...Those moments will never change.”

:sad3: it reminds me a bit of the speech Yuna gives back at the end of X when she says to never forget the friends we have lost.

Well Paine got annoyed at Rikku a lot during the game

Yeah, that's about all I can really remember :hmmm: when Paine wanted to keep her secrets, and Rikku would just keep bugging her. I also felt like Yuna tried really hard to copy and fit in with Rikku. I think that's why I'm so shocked, because Yuna seemed to want to be and act like Rikku... she was all about changing herself, ya know? Though now that I think about it, she did only really become a sphere hunter to find Tidus' whereabouts. It just never really added up.. though I admit it makes sense.

:sad3: it reminds me a bit of the speech Yuna gives back at the end of X when she says to never forget the friends we have lost.
:gasp: Hell ya that scene was a tearjerker! Yuna has always been good with words, in my opinion. :moogle:

Yeah, that's about all I can really remember :hmmm: when Paine wanted to keep her secrets, and Rikku would just keep bugging her. I also felt like Yuna tried really hard to copy and fit in with Rikku. I think that's why I'm so shocked, because Yuna seemed to want to be and act like Rikku... she was all about changing herself, ya know? Though now that I think about it, she did only really become a sphere hunter to find Tidus' whereabouts. It just never really added up.. though I admit it makes sense.
:gasp: Hell ya that scene was a tearjerker! Yuna has always been good with words, in my opinion. :moogle:

I got the impression that Yuna was tying to be more like Tidus, maybe not even conciously; the clothes she wore; the sword she used; the things she said. I felt like she tried to do what Rikku did because Rikku knew all about being busy and being a sphere hunter and going about the world on adventures, and Yuna only really knew about being a summoner and living quietly on Besaid. During The Last Mission Rikku mentions that Yuna has gone back to her life before the Gullwings and Yuna says that's not true because before the Gullwings she was only ever thinking about someone she had lost, and because she wanted to get away from her grief she left Besaid, but now it's different and she doesn't feel like she needs to keep herself busy all the time.

Did you guys play this last mission?
Yes, but I didn't beat it. I started a new job and realized I wouldn't have enough time to dedicate to this insanely hard add-on. So instead, I watched a walkthrough for the scenes.

What did you think of it?
Ridiculous.

Was it worth adding on?
Honestly, no. It's really hard, but can be kind of fun I guess. But
the constant whining and fighting coming from the team, and the game implying that Yuna finally moved on from Tidus and met someone new,
was a bit much.

Was the fighting style better--worse?
I enjoy battles that are done right then and there! Like Final Fantasy XII. But, having said that, I think it was definitely a downgrade from X-2's truly wonderful and super fun battle system. Still very enjoyable though, since a lot of the elements from its original battle system were kept in. It just wasn't fast paced, really.

Anything else to add?
I think the only reason to continue The Last Mission is for the trophies. That's it.

I got the impression that Yuna was tying to be more like Tidus, maybe not even conciously; the clothes she wore; the sword she used; the things she said. I felt like she tried to do what Rikku did because Rikku knew all about being busy and being a sphere hunter and going about the world on adventures, and Yuna only really knew about being a summoner and living quietly on Besaid. During The Last Mission Rikku mentions that Yuna has gone back to her life before the Gullwings and Yuna says that's not true because before the Gullwings she was only ever thinking about someone she had lost, and because she wanted to get away from her grief she left Besaid, but now it's different and she doesn't feel like she needs to keep herself busy all the time.

Yeah, I noticed that as well. :gasp: I thought it was cute for her to represent her love of Tidus through that, and a very good design idea from the creators. When I noticed it, I didn't really think much of it, ya know? I kind of felt like her trying to mimic Tidus' style, didn't help her move on... Though the whole reasoning behind becoming a Gullwing was for hope of finding him, still. Maybe that's true, she looked up at Rikku because she was a sphere hunter before Yuna had joined.

Another thing that bugged me-- was: Yuna saying she moved on from Tidus, and met someone Though, what Rikku says afterwards makes me believe that it is him.. I don't know it confused me.

Yeah, I noticed that as well. :gasp: I thought it was cute for her to represent her love of Tidus through that, and a very good design idea from the creators. When I noticed it, I didn't really think much of it, ya know? I kind of felt like her trying to mimic Tidus' style, didn't help her move on... Though the whole reasoning behind becoming a Gullwing was for hope of finding him, still. Maybe that's true, she looked up at Rikku because she was a sphere hunter before Yuna had joined.

Another thing that bugged me-- was: Yuna saying she moved on from Tidus, and met someone Though, what Rikku says afterwards makes me believe that it is him.. I don't know it confused me.

Yeah, I think in X-2 Yuna hadn't really moved on at all and wasn't really trying to. Which isn't exactly helthy, but then again depending which ending you got she could have ended up getting closure and moving on with her life. Which brings me to the next part:

I think that the reason the diologue is kind of vague and maybe-it's-him-maybe-it's-not was because there are multiple endings to X-2, so depending which ending you got Tidus might not have come back at the end, so they couldn't really talk freely about him (they couldn't mention his name either and it would make no sense at all for them to still refer to him as 'you know who') since the player might not have got th ending where Tidus comes back and is with Yuna.

Yeah, I think in X-2 Yuna hadn't really moved on at all and wasn't really trying to. Which isn't exactly helthy, but then again depending which ending you got she could have ended up getting closure and moving on with her life. Which brings me to the next part:

I think that the reason the diologue is kind of vague and maybe-it's-him-maybe-it's-not was because there are multiple endings to X-2, so depending which ending you got Tidus might not have come back at the end, so they couldn't really talk freely about him (they couldn't mention his name either and it would make no sense at all for them to still refer to him as 'you know who') since the player might not have got th ending where Tidus comes back and is with Yuna.

That's very true! Though now that I think about it, the extra audio/credits includes both Yuna and Tidus and
Yuna had moved on from him, and met the chairman(?) Auron's daughters friend.

I hated that part :/ It made me sad to hear that and I was in denial the whole time. I can conclude from the bonus audio-- (though i dunno which came first) that it wasn't him :gonk:

What do you think?

That's very true! Though now that I think about it, the extra audio/credits includes both Yuna and Tidus and
Yuna had moved on from him, and met the chairman(?) Auron's daughters friend.

I hated that part :/ It made me sad to hear that and I was in denial the whole time. I can conclude from the bonus audio-- (though i dunno which came first) that it wasn't him :gonk:

What do you think?

Ah yes, that's not part of Last Mission though and never was, that's the bonus audio that they made especially for the remaster. I never listened to it and I never will, I heard enough about it to know it was crap. I don't consider it canon in the slightest, it's nonsense as far as I'm concerned and doesn't exist. In Last Mission when
they're talking about Yuna's life on Besaid they keep things vague but Rikku does say something like 'Ooooh, I get it, but if he's back why are you guys staying in Besaid instead of travelling round the world?" which, to me, verifies that it is Tidus, but still doesn't mention him
which might be because of the name, might be for those who didn't get him back at the end of X-2.

Ah yes, that's not part of Last Mission though and never was, that's the bonus audio that they made especially for the remaster. I never listened to it and I never will, I heard enough about it to know it was crap. I don't consider it canon in the slightest, it's nonsense as far as I'm concerned and doesn't exist. In Last Mission when
they're talking about Yuna's life on Besaid they keep things vague but Rikku does say something like 'Ooooh, I get it, but if he's back why are you guys staying in Besaid instead of travelling round the world?" which, to me, verifies that it is Tidus, but still doesn't mention him
which might be because of the name, might be for those who didn't get him back at the end of X-2.

Yeah, very smart move on your part... I didn't really research about it until AFTER i listened to it. I wish I didn't to be honest with you, I wish I looked it up before hand. I just don't understand why they did that..? Were they planning on doing a 3rd game? I read into it, and it's not at all likely, but I just never understood why they included something like that to begin with :ffs:

Yeah, I'm thinking the same thing.. it HAS to be because of the possible endings... I just thought it would've been easier for them to just straight out and say it was Tidus though. SE hates us XD

Yeah, very smart move on your part... I didn't really research about it until AFTER i listened to it. I wish I didn't to be honest with you, I wish I looked it up before hand. I just don't understand why they did that..? Were they planning on doing a 3rd game? I read into it, and it's not at all likely, but I just never understood why they included something like that to begin with :ffs:

Yeah, I'm thinking the same thing.. it HAS to be because of the possible endings... I just thought it would've been easier for them to just straight out and say it was Tidus though. SE hates us XD

It's because of a novella (FFX-2.5) that was written some time before the remaster came out. In it
Yuna and Tidus go on a trip and end up shipwrecked on an island, Tidus sees what looks like a blitzball and kicks it, but it turns out to be a bomb which blows up and Tidus' head somehow gets decapitated. Yuna manages to somehow call him back from the farplane, but he's not the same when he comes back, and what she's done makes the farplane unstable and then Sin and other dead people start coming back.
The audio bonus at the end of the remaster comes after these events. None of which I consider to be anything but some sort of twisted, nuts fanfiction and not at all part of X's storyline as far as I'm concerned.

Maybe they were considering making a 3rd game. I seriously hope they do not.

It's because of a novella (FFX-2.5) that was written some time before the remaster came out. In it
Yuna and Tidus go on a trip and end up shipwrecked on an island, Tidus sees what looks like a blitzball and kicks it, but it turns out to be a bomb which blows up and Tidus' head somehow gets decapitated. Yuna manages to somehow call him back from the farplane, but he's not the same when he comes back, and what she's done makes the farplane unstable and then Sin and other dead people start coming back.
The audio bonus at the end of the remaster comes after these events. None of which I consider to be anything but some sort of twisted, nuts fanfiction and not at all part of X's storyline as far as I'm concerned.

Maybe they were considering making a 3rd game. I seriously hope they do not.

Oh wow, that's some serious stuff right there :gasp: that just seems a little too much, if you ask me. All for a fanfic? Just doesn't really sound professional :gonk: Definitely not at all tying to X's story or even X-2 for that matter.

I think they were considering it, but I think because of the fan's reactions, they aren't going through with it... at least not that I know of.

Oh wow, that's some serious stuff right there :gasp: that just seems a little too much, if you ask me. All for a fanfic? Just doesn't really sound professional :gonk: Definitely not at all tying to X's story or even X-2 for that matter.

I think they were considering it, but I think because of the fan's reactions, they aren't going through with it... at least not that I know of.

Believe it or not my summary actually makes it sound somewhat better than it actually is. I doubt they'll go through with it, as far as I know not a single fan liked it in the slightest. It was completely hated in Japan and was similarly received over in the west.

Believe it or not my summary actually makes it sound somewhat better than it actually is. I doubt they'll go through with it, as far as I know not a single fan liked it in the slightest. It was completely hated in Japan and was similarly received over in the west.

Haha I wouldn't doubt that... I'm sure the novella itself was a ball of chaos and confusion. The summary you gave me was already enough to give me a headache xD. Well I hope they learned their lesson because damn straight it wasn't liked. :mokken:

I guess after reading that, the last mission isn't so bad :monster:

Back