Build-A-Member
Chocobo Egg
FFXIV
Aoife Linnaete
FFXIV Server
Lamia
Free Company
None
Well, umm. That happened. A Youtube video is circulating now of the FFXV trailer from September's Tokyo Game Show with English voices. So if you want to taste a sample of what Noctis and friends will sound like, look no further.

Ahh you beat me to it. I was going to write an article about this but hey, now that's one less thing I have to do today!

Man, why is it so jarring to hear characters with different voices? Actually being able to understand a lot of what was being said in the Japanese trailer probably makes it worse for me, too. I'll probably get used to the English voices, but at first blush they don't seem to fit the characters quite as well. Generally I've felt the opposite about previous FF games too, and even Bravely Default. These do feel like kind of early recordings though, and the video itself is unlisted, so maybe they'll be improved by the final cut.

Also, nice little tweak to the script there at the end. "Been a long time. Too long." Subtle.

Yeah, i'm a little iffy on the voices of the characters for this game. :hmmm: Of course it's still in progress itself so I'm not at all too surprised.. maybe they were just trying to release the English version asap because the Japanese had released it already i'm sure they had some sort of deadline.

It's not bad. I just probably have to watch it a few times more :lew: Maybe then i'll get used to it, but who knows? :wacky:

maybe they were just trying to release the English version asap because the Japanese had released it already i'm sure they had some sort of deadline.

You'll be correct.

Demo is apparently coming soon (or whatever "soon" means in SE language) and everything shown of the game since TGS revolves around the demo's Duscae region, so it was only a matter of time that we got a sample of English voice acting, really.

I find the voice acting a little amateurish for some reason. I wasn't expecting Noctis to be Batman, and the way "bath" is pronounced is terribly forced and unnatural. If you want someone to project an air of posh Englishness, then get someone like Gideon Emery (Balthier) who is English to pull it off well, not some probable North American voice actor who has to rely on the direction given to him to sound English - or their idea of what an Englishman sounds like.

Last edited:
Every time I watch that trailer, the car sections make me think "Grand Theft Fantasy XV" :hmmm:

Anyway... I do love the originality of the voices:

• Blonde(Probably the kid of the bunch) sounds something of an American teenager who most likely surfs, skateboards or gets into lovably mischievous situations.

• Buff sounds like he eats children for breakfast, and me for dinner, and benches benches while he benches, so he can bench while he bench.

• British sounds like he's some sort of brain trauma patient who decided- post accident- he was British(Also, I'm quite sure that British == Brainy too).

• Broody sounds like the kid who decided to take roleplaying to a whole new level with batman. Also, his angst is so teenage, it makes my long haired teen phase look like military school.

Anyway, away from my bad gag attempts... the VAs sound like what I've come to expect from JRPG VAs: Decent, average... Passable. I'm not too bothered by it, simply because I've never thought FF voice acting was hugely brilliant(I'm sure XII is a masterpiece, but I've never played).

Plusses and minus' for me. The monster's look great and it the most realistic natural setting for the monsters I've seen. The guy with the really posh accent sounds really annoying might throw him to the behemoths if he has no good abilities. The battle system I am finding hard to get excited about would still like to control the whole party unless they configure the system to be like ff12 but overall still very much looking forward to it.

I wasn't expecting Noctis to be Batman

Lol.

I thought the voices fit, except Noctis'. Yeah, he did sound like Batman, like with the heavy breathing, lmao. It sounded like the actor was trying too hard. I really do wish American voices were more natural and fluid. I guess that's just our style here, exaggeration. Even with kids' movies you can tell, but they're more fitting there. But since the world is already dark, maybe the voices will make the game more uplifting, like in FF10.

Sasuke's voice wasn't too bad. Oh wait. That was Noctis? xp It's the hairstyle.

The British guy's voice seems like it'd be annoying. The other two dudes - blondie and super buff - don't sound too bad to me. I'm sure there will be some improvement in quality before the actual release. The timing for some of it seemed a little off too, even for a demo clip...

Another Sasuke joke.....but i honestly see little resemblence. Regardless, Noctis voice is distinct but all three characters definitely have a strong amateur vibe. i dont know why SE likes to take amateur voice actors.

Yeeeah, Noctis... bit deep, much? Maybe it'll grow on me when I actually play the game, but kinda doubt it. It's a bit cringe-worthy.

The voices don't concern me as much as the script writing does. I don't mind the voice acting at all-besides the slightly annoying "British" accent(Baaaaauuuth! :tehe:). What's been worrying me about this game lately is the lack of Stella who seems to have a much more reduced role now that development has gone so far and the game is nearly finished. I remember seeing her in fight scenes and more, and back then she seemed like she may have even been a contender for a playable party character. But now all I ever get is her sitting in a chair squeezing her necklace like every other damsel in distress. I hope this game surprises me big time instead of going with the whole "save the princess" routine. I was totally hoping for her female badassery to make up for the sausage fest but I guess time will tell. It sure has been too long :ahmed:

yeah, can't lie. i was hoping a few of the characters Cor Leonis would have an american accent

i wish they would release more about the plot though, im still weary of that

The voices don't concern me as much as the script writing does. I don't mind the voice acting at all-besides the slightly annoying "British" accent(Baaaaauuuth! :tehe:). What's been worrying me about this game lately is the lack of Stella who seems to have a much more reduced role now that development has gone so far and the game is nearly finished. I remember seeing her in fight scenes and more, and back then she seemed like she may have even been a contender for a playable party character. But now all I ever get is her sitting in a chair squeezing her necklace like every other damsel in distress. I hope this game surprises me big time instead of going with the whole "save the princess" routine. I was totally hoping for her female badassery to make up for the sausage fest but I guess time will tell. It sure has been too long :ahmed:

I have a feeling when it comes to Stella they're not showing us much because her role is going to be full of plot spoilers.

did anyone notice how stella's face looks different again? :lew:

did anyone notice how stella's face looks different again? :lew:

Are you sure it's not cause she's moving? I don't see that much of a difference really. She looks more like her original design, which is why I think it's down to actually seeing her move in this new scene whereas before we only had the 3 second clip of half her face/eye.

Last edited:
nah, she looks even more different than her last update. but i guess it's to be expected with ff. :lew:

nah, she looks even more different than her last update. but i guess it's to be expected with ff. :lew:

Wait are you talking about this girl?

Luna-trailer-ffxv.png

Because this isn't Stella, this is Luna.

OH!!!! oh my god, i dont even know who the hell that is lmao :lew: thank you for the info. okay than nvm. i obviously need to catch up after being away for a while :lew:

OH!!!! oh my god, i dont even know who the hell that is lmao :lew: thank you for the info. okay than nvm. i obviously need to catch up after being away for a while :lew:

Haha I think this is the first time she's been mentioned and it seems like a lot of people thought she was Stella at first too. My theory is that Luna and Stella might be related, their names meaning star and moon and they look similar too so I think they could be sisters possibly? We don't know much of anything about Luna yet.

ah, that makes sense. they look like sisters at least (i even thought it was stella :wacky: ). if they are sisters i hope square won't make a love triangle between them and noctis. that would be overkill and a deal breaker for me :lew:

Back