Mogrinch
FFXIV
Mitsuki Calei
FFXIV Server
Lamia
Free Company
Gaia
Hey everyone,

Looking for some feedback regarding the Gallery. I know it isn't used much by members, so I was thinking of taking it down and replace it with Imgur's Gallery. Since FFF has an account for Imgur, the staff and I will be making some new changes, particularly for SOTW wins and make the display a lot more dynamic. Their grid-style offers the kind of style that we are looking for, and few other layouts similar to the old SOTW History mod that we had back in the old days (if anyone remembered that).

So up in the navbar, we'll feature SOTW wins for the upcoming new year. Still thinking of a name for this. SOTW Gallery? SOTW Exhibit? SOTW History? I'd like to get SOTW more out there, especially with featuring winning entries. Sure we have the vBSlider for this and a forum in Graphics Reverie, but to have an actual layout design filled with awesome work from our artists would be really cool to see.

All Albums on FFFImgur's account will be private, and the only way to see them is via link. What we're doing is simply using that as an outside platform for displaying our images, but tied in closely to the site, so any concerns about privacy shouldn't be a problem.

Below that, we'll have a Gallery drop-down links to different albums. Art wins (caricature included), Dan's wacky drawings, and other things we can possibly think of.

Since Imgur has a limit of 225 images for Standard account, I will have to get the Pro account for this, which isn't too bad at all. This will be managed by me and a few select others.

Any questions, feedback, suggestions, let us know!

SOTW History may be more familiar with the veteran members, but I rather have our community decide this, so it's up to you guys. Do let us know.

Like Mitsuki said, and to add my own two cents, the SOTW Gallery (let's just call it that convenience sake) I'll be going as far back as history allows me to. That is a lot of images to cover, I know, but I'm passionate about my projects. So yeah, it's not just going to be the new SOTW entries. :D

Thanks to Mitsuki for looking into this more, make sure to throw in your questions or concerns, guys.

I'll go with whatever everyone wants on this one. As for a gallery name, Oeilvert could be good to go with the museum in FF9. Or maybe something from modern FF. Or maybe something that'll be a bit more obvious for the members like the SOTW Gallery etc (like you said).

Sprout, yeah I think something simpler would be best for SOTW (the shortcut itself may confuse people :wacky:), aside from that, I think if people don't care we'll go with Gallery.

The good thing about this is though (if people have no obligation with their winning images being uploaded to the Forum's Imgur) we'll have no more broken links for SOTY, meaning much more entries. Although I guess for some that may be a pain! All the choices. :lew:

Needless to say, I'm excited about this project.

Sounds AWESOME!! I think it's a wonderful idea and I'm really looking forward to it.

Out with the old, in with new! :monster:

I think its a great idea and it's very creative for sure! A layout full of awesomeness is beyond cool, especially because it'd be our own members creating it :ryan:

As far as names, i'm not entirely sure :hmmm: I wouldn't mind the ol' standard SOTW as the beginning of the title...

Anything, like with history or art as the name would be fine.

I'll get back to that :elmo:

So, to get back on Mitsuki's point when it comes to SOTW. We're also looking for our communities input when it comes to the layout. I know I can be OCD when it comes to my section, but I swear this one's up to you guys. Totally kidding, whatever you say doesn't matter! :-)lew:)

We have 3 options. The reason I'm asking is because it's for viewer purposes, and I know some of you like scrolling through images, and some of you prefer to click on what thumbnail tickles your fancy.

For Signature of the Week, which layout would you guys like best? Said album will contain all the Signature of the Week (Year) Winners.

The Blog Layout:
cf7LX2W.png

The Horizontal Layout:
IS6T7x8.png

And the Grid Layout:
FbJml2T.png

I prefer the grid layout for a gallery because you get to see a lot more images at a glance than you would with blog and horizontal, and if you're really intrigued/interested, you have the option of clicking and enlarging the image.

Horizontal isn't a bad option either honestly. But I'd avoid going the blog route due to having so many images to scroll through...

I really like all three layouts. I use both grid and blog layout for my signatures, so maybe we can do something like that. Like Chan, I'd be a little skeptical with the blog layout if there's over 50 signatures. That's a lot to take in, and I don't know how fast images would load at that point. I like the 'overall' look that grid style has to offer, so for SOTW history, I think that would be a better presentation. To see some of my old wins next to some of our renowned artists and how that would look like overall would be really something.

For 2015 (or maybe even 2014) SOTW wins, I think the blog layout would work better, and that's something that would be up in the navbar (SOTW Gallery) while the grid layout (SOTW History or Collection) would be included in a dropdown link. So I'm suggesting two albums for SOTW purposes.

I'm with the grid look too. Like Mits said, seeing all the great works of art mingling together (while still being able to zoom in on individual ones) would be the best of both worlds imo.

Truthfully, I would personally like to stick with one Signature of the Week album. We also have the Hall of Fame thread, we could just use that for yearly display, and keep everything nice and simple in one SOTW album. The reason I'm more inclined to go that route is because for a few years now SOTW has been scattered all over the place, it'd be so nice to just have it all in one album again...

My preference goes out to the grid layout out of all three. Like Mitsuki said, loading would most likely be better and you get a good glance at first sight as well.

NOTE: Actually, we just figured out that even when you're not logged into Imgur, you can change the gridstyle of albums you're using. So we'll be going with the grid layout as default, and we'll mention how people can change it if they prefer once it's all setup. =]

Back