FFXIV
Aoife Linnaete
FFXIV Server
Lamia
Free Company
None
ff7logo4xe85.jpg

No it's not a remake.

It's just a PS4 port of a PC port of a PS1 game. Producer Shinji Hashimoto has promised us that this PC port will be "exclusive" to PS4, for all the logical sense that makes.

Yes, they shoved this guy onto a 13 hour flight to Las Vegas just for him to announce this.

b4mzcxicyaalvw-0leu7.png

Don't worry, I'll follow up with any important updates later on. If Hashimoto is forced to escape lynch mobs by running across the Mojave Desert, I will let you guys know.

Now if you excuse me for a moment.

giphyine80.gif

Exclusive to PS4... aka Not on Xbox. Hardly exclusive. It's on PC, PS1, PS3, PSP, PSVita.. :ffs:

Anyone else remember when it was expected that console games took some sort of advantage of the hardware they ran on? Seems like lately we've been getting all these really low-scale projects on new-gen hardware. Well why have the new-gen hardware if all devs are going to make is software that would run on last-gen hardware? Come on, SE, please try harder.

It's just a PS4 port of a PC port of a PS1 game.
So they're making a shitty PS4 port while using a shitty PC port as the base? Nice. Enjoy buying the same game for the (up to) fourth time.

^ The sad thing is, while I'd like to think no one is rabid enough about FFVII to buy it yet again, it will probably sell pretty well on PS4. I get that it's preserving the legacy, and SE probably felt like this was their way of participating in Sony's 20 years of Playstation celebration, but eh, seriously. What with the PS4 being an x86-64 platform the PC port of FFVII is probably a one-man job.

When I saw the title of the thread, I thought it was a joke...and, sadly, it is. O.O

I'm so disappointed. At least, LEAST have it be the remake? But of course they can't even think to do that. I thought this was the announcement of the remake to save themselves after all these last horrible releases, and then they give us...this. Another horrible release. No; I already have the PS1 copy, which is the same exact one as this one. I'll pass.

They've said a million times in a million interviews that the remake ain't happening. At least until they "beat FF7". Why people are so disappointed...it's quite hilarious. Can't wait to buy this on PS4.

Probably a silly question here, but for someone who hasn't played a FF outside of XIII...would this rather strange port be recommended?

I do find it odd that it's simply a port rather than a HD remake.

Probably a silly question here, but for someone who hasn't played a FF outside of XIII...would this rather strange port be recommended?

I do find it odd that it's simply a port rather than a HD remake.

If you've never played VII before then this will certainly be a fine way to do it. But coming from XIII it will feel extremely antiquated, whichever port you choose. You might have a hard time adjusting, unless you happen to like retro games already. I'd probably say play FFX first, since it's kind of in-between XIII and VII both in terms of age and gameplay.

I wonder will it even be adjusted for widescreen like ff x/x-2 hd was. Any time i play old ffs on ps3 on hd tv always get big black box around it.

i'm a huge vii fangirl and even my reaction was

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

there comes a time when square even knows they ain't ever gon beat vii's sales or popularity or overall critical acclaim. they're being fiscally irresponsible and committing business suicide if they do not release a remake for this long overdo game soon. they will never ever out do it, and putting their company's life at stake is ridiculous. even if they made a shitty remake it'd sell millions (def beat out 13) and they'd have guaranteed extra cash that they could use for other creations.

it almost feels like they even know they can't handle remaking one of the most beloved games of all time, and that says so much about square's poor current conditions than anything else.

even if they made a shitty remake it'd sell millions (def beat out 13) and they'd have guaranteed extra cash that they could use for other creations.
Exactly! so why wouldn't they make a remake of it you think?
I thought VII was great but this isn't really 'news' to me, ya know? You think about how many times they've allowed it to be played from the PSone, PS3, PSP, Vita, PC every type of gamer has played this game.

Although this game is such a hit what would it being released on the PS4 do for them?? There's fans that want an HD/Remake etc. and would gladly pay for that to make it happen, so why not? Too much time you think or...?

Funny how people are so mad by this, yet I bet many people buy it again for the 4th or 5th time :elmo: Why remake when you can get people to just rebuy without any major updates to it?

Besides I only want a FFVII remake so people will stop asking for it for one generation of gaming! :raye:

it almost feels like they even know they can't handle remaking one of the most beloved games of all time, and that says so much about square's poor current conditions than anything else.

I agree with that. I, along with others I bet, am even afraid of them remaking it if one day they should choose to because they'll probably put cheesy/bad/flying scenes that don't need to be in there and then take out the good parts or keep them, but take away the big magic that even big arms and font was able to give us by adding the cheesy/bad/flying into the scene in cinematics.

So what if they ruin it? It's not like the original game won't still be there for us to fall back on. At least we'll get a new experience in a world we all know we love (as opposed to some other worlds Enix have given us lately).

Worst case scenario: Enix remakes and releases it > makes a tonne of money > fans cry for a few months > fans go back and play original > fans are happy again.

I must have laughed so hard when I saw this announced. One part of me was like "Holy shite, FF VII on PS4!" but wait, SE said it would take 17 years or so to make it so they cannot possibly have a remake in development.

/Sees FFVII port on ps4.

Okay, maybe I will buy this if it has trophies but that is about it.

Okay, maybe I will buy this if it has trophies but that is about it.

I was thinking about that too, maybe if they added something and rewarded the players through trophies, though those who've played the game multiple times... i find it hard to believe they'd buy the game simply for trophies, but what do I know? :wacky:

In my personal opinion, I wouldn't think VII would really be worth just trophies... I don't want to feed into that trap xD.

So what if they ruin it? It's not like the original game won't still be there for us to fall back on. At least we'll get a new experience in a world we all know we love (as opposed to some other worlds Enix have given us lately).

Worst case scenario: Enix remakes and releases it > makes a tonne of money > fans cry for a few months > fans go back and play original > fans are happy again.
Well, for me, there's storyline at risk. I am worried that they might ruin the great plot. I see the way they butchered characters for Crisis Core so if they ruin the game in this aspect it's not something that could just be overlooked. You'd have fans thinking retcon versions of the story were once originally canon and that would be infuriating to see. That is pretty much the only way they could ever ruin a remake. I'm serious, anything else would just be failed improvement (hard to fix what's not broke). But if they start adding characters and storyline like they did with Crisis Core it will only be a bad outcome. You nah what i'm saying, though? :hmmm: Like, you're right that even if it sucked we could still go back to the original. But there is a chance of canon being fucked with and that is worrying. It's like how people argue over the star wars trilogy. You've got old fans (original trilogy) battling the latest movies with what's canon and it's fucking infuriating to have to say 'well, that's a retcon.... no, that was changed' to newcomers. :lew:

That is the only way the game could be fucked up.

And with the way Square fucked up Tidus and YUna's relationship and even fucked up FF13's story... I really think they'd do the same for VII.

Well, for me, there's storyline at risk. I am worried that they might ruin the great plot. I see the way they butchered characters for Crisis Core so if they ruin the game in this aspect it's not something that could just be overlooked. You'd have fans thinking retcon versions of the story were once originally canon and that would be infuriating to see. That is pretty much the only way they could ever ruin a remake. I'm serious, anything else would just be failed improvement (hard to fix what's not broke). But if they start adding characters and storyline like they did with Crisis Core it will only be a bad outcome. You nah what i'm saying, though? :hmmm: Like, you're right that even if it sucked we could still go back to the original. But there is a chance of canon being fucked with and that is worrying. It's like how people argue over the star wars trilogy. You've got old fans (original trilogy) battling the latest movies with what's canon and it's fucking infuriating to have to say 'well, that's a retcon.... no, that was changed' to newcomers. :lew:

That is the only way the game could be fucked up.

And with the way Square fucked up Tidus and YUna's relationship and even fucked up FF13's story... I really think they'd do the same for VII.

Oh I agree, if they try to change too much, it'll be made into a badly made RPG like most RPGs Enix lay their hands on, but there's always that chance that something amazing could come out of it. I think it's worth the risk in the odd chance that the best game to be released in decades would be given to us.

I see what you mean about the canon and everything, but at the same time I'm the sort of person that can ignore so much in order to enjoy a game. I'll even pretend that certain characters aren't in a game if I dislike them. Sometimes.

Honestly though, even if it was a wreck of a game, I'd like it more than most games lately just because of nostalgia. Bah! :wacky:

I was thinking about that too, maybe if they added something and rewarded the players through trophies, though those who've played the game multiple times... i find it hard to believe they'd buy the game simply for trophies, but what do I know? :wacky:

In my personal opinion, I wouldn't think VII would really be worth just trophies... I don't want to feed into that trap xD.

You would be surprised how many people enjoy that competitive aspect of trophies/achievements. Your logic does not really make sense because people buy multiple versions of fighting games for new mechanics and characters, yet it is the exact same game. People are going to expect something new from this port, or else it is bad for SE.

Back