Star Wars: The Force Awakens teaser trailer

R2 rolling like a ball is funny.

The lightsaber is kinda dumb, Think they were trying to make it more like a sword from the mid-eval time (with the handle part of it.) but really should of stayed with the original look... or maybe Darth Mauls double light saber deal (arguably the only good thing to come from the first three episodes.) More kinda sad that they are going to ignore all the books that have come out. I mean I guess it makes sense to ignore them, but at the same time as someone that has read a few of the Star Wars series, I don't want them to ruin that... then again what could be worse than Star Wars Episode 1-3 :wacky:

:lew:

Oh god, my blood started pumping even while watching that parody. You know you're anticipating a film when that starts happening. :lew: I liked the part where jasmine and alladin were singing :lew:

My friends want to all go see this when it launches but I have to say that I am not so impressed. It looks like something new altogether and there might be inconsistencies. Why is the sith lord's blade a claymore lightsaber? I do not read the expanded universe much, but I was hoping they would do something with Jaina and Jacen solo. I anticipate George Lucas's reaction to the film. Right now, I am not that impressed with it. Do not just make a great film series and turn it into shit, please.

The only thing keeping me with this film is some of the original actors and actresses reprising their roles.

George Lucas took a great series and made it shit 15 years ago when the prequel trilogy happened. It looks like this trilogy will go a long way to fixing that. JJ Abrams has a pretty solid track record with sci-fi, and then we've got Rian Johnson doing episode 8 which is just as exciting

Do not just make a great film series and turn it into shit, please.

As Pooley already said, George Lucas already saw to that when he decided to assume complete directorship control over the prequel trilogy, likely having long fired the people who creatively challenged him in the past (for good reason). He completely failed to understand Yoda's character and his teachings, so the little green guy was reduced to a comical bouncing little thing holding a wee dinky lightsaber while everyone else packed the full sized punch. His handling of Anakin was more or less atrocious and there was never a genuine sense of friendship between him and Obi-Wan. He never understood pacing (just look at the clusterfuck final fights - all four of them - at the end of Phantom Menace and note all the tonal shifts we're forced to go through).

This film franchise can only go up from here. And while the teaser trailer lacked anything immediately exciting and unforgettable for me, it did its job nonetheless and provided me with some good reassurance. I still think the lightsaber is dumb, but there have been worse things in Star Wars. Like the aforementioned, mad flipping Yoda when he's fighting. Like Jar Jar Binks supposedly being "the funniest character we've ever had". Like the entirety of that duel in Revenge of the Sith with all the structure-climbing, swinging around over lava, flips, jumps and lava surfing, only to end with Obi-Wan on a gentle incline barely a few feet above Anakin proclaiming he has the "high ground".

Most people won't know about the expanded universe, so it makes sense to put that aside and start with a clean slate.

what.gif

i haven't watched the films since about 2010 but;

He completely failed to understand Yoda's character and his teachings, so the little green guy was reduced to a comical bouncing little thing holding a wee dinky lightsaber while everyone else packed the full sized punch.
It's his character. I'm pretty sure he knows his design. :lew:

so the little green guy was reduced to a comical bouncing little thing holding a wee dinky lightsaber while everyone else packed the full sized punch.
How was his fighting style comical? How else is something small suppose to fight a 6 foot person wielding a 4 foot+ weapon? Of course his battle style would involve him going aerial. He's two feet tall how can he fight others if he stays on the ground? EVen with jedi powers he'd have to go aerial sometimes in order to avoid hits and to be bale to attack. and if you're going aerial that means you have to constantly keep wind beneath you and speed behind you, which means lots and lots of twirls and kicks. so while it might look ridiculous it makes sense.

His handling of Anakin was more or less atrocious
that's opinion. what shows it was atrocious? he was trying to show you who anakin was. i thought it was a great handling of his character. we actually saw throughout the whole trilogy where anakin's 'dark side' would show through. as apposed to it just suddenly springing on you at the end.

and there was never a genuine sense of friendship between him and Obi-Wan.
Good, then that means george lucas accomplished what he wanted. that was the entire point of ep 4, when obi and qui-gon argued about whether or not they should take him in, Obi was very weary of him but qui-gon told him to pretty much shuddap and do it anyway (which shows obi was the better jedi-master). he could sense the 'dark side' in him and knew that it was dangerous to teach this kid how to harness his powers and do something with it. the series showed their strained relationship because that's what it was suppose to be. obi was in a situation where he wanted to trust and do what qui-gon wanted, but he felt something was off with anakin. and it showed through every time anakin disobeyed obi's orders. through the whole trilogy you saw obi battling between his gut instinct and wanting to care for him. obi kept trying to teach anakin that he needs to let go of his pride and to stop trying to rebel but he never did, and that's the whole point of the last scene where he's standing on the 'high ground', he literally had the upper hand but anakin's anger and pride was too strong to even admit when he was very clearly losing.

that is the entire point of anakin's character. to pave way to luke's character. while anakin couldn't have those human qualities and refrain from turning to the dark side, luke could.

He never understood pacing (just look at the clusterfuck final fights - all four of them - at the end of Phantom Menace and note all the tonal shifts we're forced to go through).
i don't understand what you mean. how were they badly paced? are you saying they're rushed? because i thought they dragged on. i mean, jesus--qui-gon's and darth maul's fight was incredibly long. :lew:

Like Jar Jar Binks supposedly being "the funniest character we've ever had".
He was a comedic relief. i am not sure why you're hating on a comedic character for not being serious. people seem to hate that he's comedic but that's so strange to me. i get that it's not a comedy film, but in a movie with a dark plot that includes the eventual spiritual death of a character after watching them grow up and suffer, you kinda need a comedic character. i mean, the plot to star wars is pretty fucking dark. you see this little boy that grew up as a slave, had to leave his home planet and mother, only for her to be killed and then he lets anger and madness take over him so much that he ends up killing the love of his life and being almost killed by someone who was more like a brother to him than not.

if you think a plot like that doesn't need a comedic relief than you have a serious tolerance for pain.

do you hate C3P0, too? i mean, hated him more than i hated jar jar and i was a fan of the movies before i saw the new trilogy.

Like the entirety of that duel in Revenge of the Sith with all the structure-climbing, swinging around over lava, flips, jumps and lava surfing, only to end with Obi-Wan on a gentle incline barely a few feet above Anakin proclaiming he has the "high ground".
JJaDMob.png

for anakin to jump over like obi did, obi does have the highground. if anakin tried to jump exactly what happened in the fight would happen. i mean, anakin had the disadvantage which means obi had the high ground (literally and metaphorically speaking).

It's his character. I'm pretty sure he knows his design.
I think what she means is how George Lucas completely misunderstood what people saw in Yoda from the original trilogy and tried to do what he thought people wanted.

How was his fighting style comical? How else is something small suppose to fight a 6 foot person wielding a 4 foot+ weapon? Of course his battle style would involve him going aerial. He's two feet tall how can he fight others if he stays on the ground? EVen with jedi powers he'd have to go aerial sometimes in order to avoid hits and to be bale to attack. and if you're going aerial that means you have to constantly keep wind beneath you and speed behind you, which means lots and lots of twirls and kicks. so while it might look ridiculous it makes sense.
Because he fought like a baby kangaroo on speed. Watching him bounce around like a lunatic didn't make me think "wow, Yoda truly is the greatest Jedi in history." Instead I just s******ed a bit because it looked so daft.

Good, then that means george lucas accomplished what he wanted. that was the entire point of ep 4, when obi and qui-gon argued about whether or not they should take him in, Obi was very weary of him but qui-gon told him to pretty much shuddap and do it anyway (which shows obi was the better jedi-master). he could sense the 'dark side' in him and knew that it was dangerous to teach this kid how to harness his powers and do something with it. the series showed their strained relationship because that's what it was suppose to be. obi was in a situation where he wanted to trust and do what qui-gon wanted, but he felt something was off with anakin. and it showed through every time anakin disobeyed obi's orders. through the whole trilogy you saw obi battling between his gut instinct and wanting to care for him. obi kept trying to teach anakin that he needs to let go of his pride and to stop trying to rebel but he never did, and that's the whole point of the last scene where he's standing on the 'high ground', he literally had the upper hand but anakin's anger and pride was too strong to even admit when he was very clearly losing.

that is the entire point of anakin's character. to pave way to luke's character. while anakin couldn't have those human qualities and refrain from turning to the dark side, luke could.
The big problem with all that is that it ruins the emotional pay off of Anakin's death. If he and Obi-Wan were truly great friends and you got that Sam/Frodo friendship across on screen then you would have really felt something when Obi-Wan was forced to kill Anakin. Imagine how you would have felt if Sam had had to kill Frodo at the end of Return of the King because he just wouldn't give up the ring; it'd be devastating yet oddly satisfying.

i don't understand what you mean. how were they badly paced? are you saying they're rushed? because i thought they dragged on. i mean, jesus--qui-gon's and darth maul's fight was incredibly long.
Because the pacing is just awful, there's no other way to say it really. They didn't feel rushed, just badly paced.

He was a comedic relief. i am not sure why you're hating on a comedic character for not being serious. people seem to hate that he's comedic but that's so strange to me. i get that it's not a comedy film, but in a movie with a dark plot that includes the eventual spiritual death of a character after watching them grow up and suffer, you kinda need a comedic character. i mean, the plot to star wars is pretty fucking dark. you see this little boy that grew up as a slave, had to leave his home planet and mother, only for her to be killed and then he lets anger and madness take over him so much that he ends up killing the love of his life and being almost killed by someone who was more like a brother to him than not.
It's all subjective at the end of the day I suppose, but the whole Gungan race was massively irritating. By all means add a little comic relief, because it's often needed. But Jar Jar Binks once again showed how out of touch Lucas was with the Star Wars fandom.

for anakin to jump over like obi did, obi does have the highground. if anakin tried to jump exactly what happened in the fight would happen. i mean, anakin had the disadvantage which means obi had the high ground (literally and metaphorically speaking).
It's barely the high ground; no more than two foot. But why doesn't Anakin just use the Force to create a distraction or some other inconvenience for Obi-Wan? Why doesn't he do some sort of mega jump like he has been doing to make sure he's clear of any danger? It was a terribly orchestrated end.

I have a massive problem with the very existence of the prequel trilogy (as do most people), and I agree entirely with Ridley Scott's views on it. The whole goal of the prequels is to ruin the biggest plot twist of the original trilogy - one of the best plot twists in cinematic history. If you watch the films in order now, you know well ahead of time that Darth Vader is Luke's father and that's completely unfulfilling.

I think what she means is how George Lucas completely misunderstood what people saw in Yoda from the original trilogy and tried to do what he thought people wanted.
Okay. So what if people's opinions were wrong, though? I saw the original films long before I ever got to see the sequel prequels and just as he was my favorite from the original, he was my favorite still. Mind you, I was 5-ish at the time I first had my older brother get me into the films, but I've seen the originals enough times to know Yoda and I didn't see that same problem. :hmmm: Any specifics? :hmmm:

Because he fought like a baby kangaroo on speed. Watching him bounce around like a lunatic didn't make me think "wow, Yoda truly is the greatest Jedi in history." Instead I just s******ed a bit because it looked so daft.
How else could someone at 2 feet tall fight people four feet taller than him, though? :hmmm:

The big problem with all that is that it ruins the emotional pay off of Anakin's death. If he and Obi-Wan were truly great friends and you got that Sam/Frodo friendship across on screen then you would have really felt something when Obi-Wan was forced to kill Anakin. Imagine how you would have felt if Sam had had to kill Frodo at the end of Return of the King because he just wouldn't give up the ring; it'd be devastating yet oddly satisfying.
I agree, thinking of Sam killing Frodo is heart-wrenching, but I saw enough qualities in the films to show that Obi thought of Anakin as a brother. That's the problem though. They weren't suppose to be best friends like Sam and Frodo were, they were suppose to be brothers. And there's a different tone between two brothers then the tone found between two life-long friends. I might explain this badly, but with brothers there's this rivalry and this urge to out-shine the other or maybe the better wording would be to 'find your own shine'. I saw Obi go from genuine concern about what could follow suit once they accept Anakin, and then you saw him become this older brother that was trying his best to defy that gut instinct and prove it wrong by trying his damnedest to ensure that Anakin doesn't fall to the dark side.

So, when you have that sort of brotherly responsibility as Obi did, you can't help but tend to get testy when they're not listening and they're endangering themselves. But just because they fought or had on-edge moments doesn't mean the love wasn't as strong or in your face. I'll be honest, I haven't seen LoTR is years, but to me, the fact that Obi would tell Anakin when he was doing something wrong and would be willing to 'get in his face' shows me how strong his love was. Sam, while he loved Frodo, ended up doing Frodo much more harm by not trying harder to get him to stop heading down the path he was on. Now, I believe Sam to be one of the greatest characters ever, but his blind admiration and devotion and willingness to follow Frodo wherever is one of the reasons why Frodo was able to get as bad as he was (it was also how the ring was destroyed, but nonetheless I think my point still stands). Without making this a LoTR discussion (because that would make this ridiculously long), I'm just saying that there are different ways to show your love and sometimes criticism and the willingness to tell them off is what shows true love.

Because the pacing is just awful, there's no other way to say it really. They didn't feel rushed, just badly paced.
I just don't get that though. :hmmm: What's an example?

It's all subjective at the end of the day I suppose, but the whole Gungan race was massively irritating. By all means add a little comic relief, because it's often needed. But Jar Jar Binks once again showed how out of touch Lucas was with the Star Wars fandom.
But is Lucas writing for us... or for himself? It's his story-line, it's his universe. Without him, we wouldn't have the series. He became popular and Star Wars became popular because he did what he wanted, not because he thought of what people would like (if that were the case, he wouldn't have ever explored this genre of story). In end, he still made movies that sold nearly three billion copies. Obviously, the majority of fans enjoyed it so Lucas, in a way, showed how in touch he was with us.

I understand seeing bad things about the film, but saying that they were worse or should have never been created, that's just excessive harshness.

It's barely the high ground; no more than two foot. But why doesn't Anakin just use the Force to create a distraction or some other inconvenience for Obi-Wan? Why doesn't he do some sort of mega jump like he has been doing to make sure he's clear of any danger? It was a terribly orchestrated end.
It really doesn't matter how many feet he has on him, the thing is to get where Obi was, Anakin would have to jump over, which means Obi would have a clean shot at him. I don't care who you are, you don't head up hill after your opponent. To answer your other point, I could just as easily say why doesn't any villain do the clear opposite choice that would save them? People will always say 'why didn't they do this or why didn't they do that', and really--it's a movie. Of course to us there would be clear better options that should have been taken, but we're the omniscient ensemble.

As for the high-ground thing, if you watch the scene again, Anakin actually does do a very high jump, he appears to be trying to impale Obi Sephiroth-style, but Obi cuts his legs off. And besides, you're focusing on the literal meaning of high ground, but that whole scene was to show you Anakin's stubbornness and his unwillingness to soften his hardened heart. The line 'I have the higher ground' is actually a way of showing you, the viewer, how far gone Anakin is. He's facing definite loss and yet he's as set on defeating Obi as ever (due to doubt, hatred, and even jealousy). He's not thinking right at this point, his hatred as blinded him too greatly.

This comes back to the whole “Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering.” quote. It's to emphasize the underlining story, which is how important and necessary Luke's existence is. His father had great power, but succumbed to the humanly emotions that could taint him as a Jedi, whereas Luke was able to face knowing who his father was and still stayed this perfect balance of light and dark. He became the one that destroyed the bad that Anakin couldn't. That's the point of all the films.

I have a massive problem with the very existence of the prequel trilogy (as do most people), and I agree entirely with Ridley Scott's views on it.
Hmm, although I adore Ridley Scott, I have never heard his opinion on the matter until now. Is this what you're talking of? I'd have to say I'm rather disappointed in Ridley for those comments. As a director he should know better than to talk like that about people's work. I mean, I wouldn't say that about his worse film Legend, and I can't for the life of me like that film, even though it has two of my favorite actors and is a genre of film I usually love. I find his words in that interview to be more-so heat of the moment banter that he was pressured in to saying. Because his comments are just unfair... "when special effects get in the way, it's because the story isn't strong enough" how audaciously pompous of him. I bet he had nothing but adoration for AVATAR, a film that was a rip off of almost a dozen different films and had average acting and even more average storyline and characters (as much as it pains me to say this about a sigourney weaver film).

The film was a first for CGI and computer exploration, it makes sense that they got out of hand, but even so, I wouldn't say that he did. It's a sci-fi, space thriller--it would be empty without the flash of CGI, especially in a day and age where that started to become normal.

I have a massive problem with the very existence of the prequel trilogy (as do most people), and I agree entirely with Ridley Scott's views on it. The whole goal of the prequels is to ruin the biggest plot twist of the original trilogy - one of the best plot twists in cinematic history. If you watch the films in order now, you know well ahead of time that Darth Vader is Luke's father and that's completely unfulfilling.
I'm sure it's been said, but 'vater' / vader does mean father in German. And I know his nazi-themes weren't as blatant then, but someone should have caught on eventually. :wacky: I agree, it was an amazing plot twist and very well executed, but the entire plot wasn't about discovering he was Luke's father.

As Lucas said;
"I’ve left pretty explicit instructions for there not to be any more features. There will definitely be no Episodes VII-IX. That’s because there isn’t any story. I mean, I never thought of anything! And now there have been novels about the events after Episode IV, which isn’t at all what I would have done with it. The Star Wars story is really the tragedy of Darth Vader. That is the story. Once Vader dies, he doesn’t come back to life, the Emperor doesn’t get cloned and Luke doesn’t get married …"

The story is about Vader's tragic story, his tragic story is being the chosen one but failing to rise above the dark-side temptations, the story's about his redemption in that final moment as he speaks to Luke in Ep3, and finally, the story's about how Luke fulfilled that prophecy to bring balance to the force, something his father couldn't do.

I honestly don't know how anyone can be anything but sad after seeing Anakin's anger and Obi's heartbreak, and I think both actors were amazing here.

But I am pleasantly surprised with our discussion, I hope it stays this positive. Especially since Star Wars usually turns into a HUGE fight. :lew:

How else could someone at 2 feet tall fight people four feet taller than him, though?
If that's the best answer to the question then they shouldn't have bothered. Just because you can do something, doesn't mean you should.

I just don't get that though. What's an example?
I really can't think of a way to make it simpler. The pacing of the scene is just terrible; it doesn't work and leaves you frustrated.

But is Lucas writing for us... or for himself? It's his story-line, it's his universe. Without him, we wouldn't have the series. He became popular and Star Wars became popular because he did what he wanted, not because he thought of what people would like (if that were the case, he wouldn't have ever explored this genre of story). In end, he still made movies that sold nearly three billion copies. Obviously, the majority of fans enjoyed it so Lucas, in a way, showed how in touch he was with us.
Similarly, without us he wouldn't have the universe to create. That doesn't give someone a great sense of entitlement I'll admit, because after all it's George Lucas' intellectual property, but as a film maker he has a duty to satisfy an audience with something well thought out and well structured.
With the original trilogy he probably had more creative restraint placed on him by studio executives telling him what would and wouldn't work, what would and wouldn't be feasible, what would and wouldn't sell and what would and wouldn't be marketable. It's obvious with the prequel trilogy that there was no one telling George no and how silly he was being. Again, just because you can do something doesn't mean you should.

Hmm, although I adore Ridley Scott, I have never heard his opinion on the matter until now. Is this what you're talking of? I'd have to say I'm rather disappointed in Ridley for those comments. As a director he should know better than to talk like that about people's work. I mean, I wouldn't say that about his worse film Legend, and I can't for the life of me like that film, even though it has two of my favorite actors and is a genre of film I usually love. I find his words in that interview to be more-so heat of the moment banter that he was pressured in to saying. Because his comments are just unfair... "when special effects get in the way, it's because the story isn't strong enough" how audaciously pompous of him. I bet he had nothing but adoration for AVATAR, a film that was a rip off of almost a dozen different films and had average acting and even more average storyline and characters (as much as it pains me to say this about a sigourney weaver film).
That's the gist of it, but in a different interview during the early pre-production days of Prometheus he specifically said that he hates how the prequel trilogy ruins one of the greatest cinematic plot twists ever. He didn't specifically criticise the prequel trilogy, he used it as an example to get across that point. Whether or not someone picked up on the clues and worked out who Darth Vader really was is irrelevant, because him being Luke's father was always intended as a huge plot twist, and the prequels serve no real purpose other than to spoil that. While his past before he became a Sith is an interesting idea, it isn't something that really needs told. It's nice to speculate and come to your own conclusions about things like that.

How else could someone at 2 feet tall fight people four feet taller than him, though? :hmmm:

Why did Yoda have to fight with a Lightsaber? Why wasn't Yoda adhering to what he stood for in the original trilogy? The Force and the ability to feel it and temper it to be your ally is more valuable than what he referred to as "crude matter" when he pinched Luke's biceps. Thematically, Yoda served to show that the Force was beyond simply physically swinging a sword around. It helped perpetuate the mysteriousness and the unquantifiable might of the Force.

That was thrown away in the prequels the moment Yoda whipped out a tiny sword and started bouncing around. Suddenly, the notion of size not mattering is thrown out of the window. The implicit idea that Yoda is mighty because he has such a command of the Force that he goes beyond physical might is thrown out of the window. Yoda is immediately met with a clear physical handicap and the addition of having to bounce around in my opinion does not compliment his character. It heavily reduces it. It's the decision of someone who did it simply on the grounds that it would be cool, rather than what the character himself was originally established to be about.

They weren't suppose to be best friends like Sam and Frodo were, they were suppose to be brothers. And there's a different tone between two brothers then the tone found between two life-long friends. I might explain this badly, but with brothers there's this rivalry and this urge to out-shine the other or maybe the better wording would be to 'find your own shine'.

Very fair points, and very much something the films could have explored, but once again it falls on the execution.

Most of the time in Clones and Revenge of the Sith, Anakin and Obi-Wan are separated. They're off on different planets embarking on separate missions. Genuine moments of character interactions between them are thin on the ground, and often or not the films employ the cheap tactic of informing us of their characters, rather than make the effort to show them. I think when they finally elected to explore the two characters and their relationship further (opening mission of Revenge of the Sith comes to mind), it's a little too late.

I just don't get that though. :hmmm: What's an example?

If we're still referring to Phantom Menace, it's about how the culminating climactic battle of the film is actually four separate scenes: 1) Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan versus Darth Maul; 2) Amidala and the others breaking into the palace to capture that one guy whose name eludes me; 3) Anakin flying around in the Starfighter, winning the space fight completely by fluke; 4) Jar Jar and all the Gungans taking on the droids.

I'm not an expert on scripts and film-making, but I imagine the first rule of it is to effectively build up events leading to your climactic final battle and keep it simplistic enough and with as few simultaneous plot threads going on as possible so the audience can effectively fix their maximum attention on where it has to be. In Phantom Menace, having four simultaneous threads going on means the audience's attention is all over the place. There's little opportunity for it to firmly rest on any one ongoing battle (though arguably everyone is going to be most invested in the Darth Maul fight) and from what I recall, the viewer goes through multiple tonal shifts as a result. Qui-Gon is killed, which is supposed to be a dramatic and emotional moment. Cut to a half-comedic battle involving the Gungans. Maybe cut to Anakin next. Then cut to dullness as Amidala's party find their quarry. It's all over the place and it's more like an incomprehensible sequence of things just happening, rather than anything genuinely packed with tension.

I was kinda meh on the whole thing and still am considering not watching the film since I hate Abram's but the new films will deal with two major issues. Firstly Lucas is not involved in a creative sense and secondly they have wisely (it appears atm anyway) dumped most if not all the rubbish that's come from the EU in regards to books, comics, games etc and are hopefully having a cleanish slate. Some of it is enjoyable like the Jedi Knight (Kyle Katarn solo film plz) and most stuff by Timothy Zahn effectively but I'm sorta happy with how it's shaping up.

I will think that they will do what they can to make this work since this a potential huge money spinner for Disney. I just hope they give it the room to develop properly like the Marvel films generally do.

The trailer itself doesn't evoke a very strong reaction from me. It's serviceable and I can definitely see the appeal in a villain whose design is strongly influenced by Darth Revan, but it doesn't leave me wowed or very enthralled. I think the only genuine spine-tingling moment (for practically everyone) is the end with Han and Chewie.

Frankly I'm super psyched for the new film. There's a lot of criticism around the new lightsaber and other insignificant factors - including the colour of the unmasked Stormtrooper - but frankly, it's such a minor element (which begs the question why they even focused on it in the first place) it doesn't matter. From what I've seen and read, I feel much more confident in this film (trilogy??????) than I did in the last three.

I was going to try and not detract too much from the original post, but it was too hard to resist. Yoda was too attractive a subject.

Yoda for me was the Force. He defied all logic; conventionally you move, or don't move, physical objects with muscular or automative force, yet in the Star Wars universe this was not strictly the case. It was fascinating and new. Peronally artistic integrity would've compelled me to use Yoda for anything Force-related, and Mace Windu for anything combat-related (and not just because he was Samuel L. Jackson - the character was actually frickin awesome). Windu should've faced Dooku in Episode 2. not Yoda. Alas, t'was not the case. Whatever.

As for the story progression... it was not meant to be viewed as I, II, III, IV, V then IV. IV, V and VI was the story, and I, II, III explained 'why'. Perhaps Lucas didn't do a great job of the explanation, but the trilogy gave us a pretty good damn idea within our own imagination. Can you honestly imagine yourself in young Anakin's predicament as a youth? And still control your rage, confusion and anguish? That's the beauty and sadness of totalitarian artistic freedom - you only comply with your own version/vision of events. Lucas wouldn't handle it in Anakin's position, so why should you.

Stop hatin' and just move on.

I'm interested in this, but I'm not as excited as most people seem to be. I've always been more casual towards Star Wars. I love sci-fi, and I love fantasy, etc, but something about the Star Wars universe hasn't grabbed me and I'm not sure what it is. I should watch the original trilogy again before this, just to try and remind myself how good the series is.

Aha!

I've now recently seen the original trilogy again for the first time in over 10 years. I can now locate the things that didn't grab me about Star Wars, and they are all from the prequel trilogy (for example the simplification of good vs evil - which in my opinion was toned down and a bit greyer in the original trilogy). Having watched the originals again I've been reminded of how great a series Star Wars can be.

I'm now super-hyped for this film. I do hope it has more in common with the original trilogy than the prequels. Being a sequel trilogy containing many of the actors from the original trilogy it'll be set to be this way, and that is truly awesome. Let us just hope that they aren't merely milking things, and that they have a good plot in store for us.

It's nice that they are also holding back on quite a lot of the details regarding the plot and characters. It is really building up the suspense.

Quite importantly it is also awesome that they are using a lot of practical effects for this movie rather than relying on cgi and green screens (like the prequel trilogy and remasters of the original movies did)... This is a welcome relief.

The R2-type rolling ball droid is actually a thing. They made a real working model of it!

An interesting little thing that turned up online post-Comic Con from Guillermo del Toro;

http://www.slashfilm.com/guillermo-del-toro-star-wars/

“I would do the sort of ‘Godfather‘ saga the Jabba the Hutt had to go through to gain control. One, because it’s the character that looks the most like me, and I like him. I love the idea of a
Hutt type of mafia, a very complex coup, you know? … I just love the character.”

I think everyone would love this to happen, but maybe just doesn't know it. Jabba is one of those characters that you never think more about than what you see of them on screen, but this really got me thinking that he must have a pretty interesting back story that has never been explored. Shame it's just a guy have a bit of a fan geek moment.

Back