Tech Windows 10

Ethics

Banned
Veteran
Gil
Have you tried the technical preview for Windows 10 yet, or seem some of it in action during a video? What are your thoughts on it? Pros vs cons? Any features you are excited/hopeful for (or quite the opposite)?

I installed and played with it a decent bit yesterday and it seems to work really quite well for my needs. It seems to be much more like Win7 in terms of ease of use or navigation between activities, with some of the better intrinsic uses of Win8. Really enjoying the new start menu, both of the search bars (one is tied to the web by default), as well as the improvements of the window snapping. It's always irritated me I couldn't snap a window to 1/4 of the screen and was instead limited to 1/2. I hope that the windows snapping, as well as the new multi desktop function, has much better multidisplay functionality. I'm tired of having to get the tools for this from third party programs.

It may be the current build, but the windows snapping doesn't seem to be quite as fast or elegant as they were in Win7. I'm going to chalk this up to something that they are ironing out, though, as opposed to any issue with the OS.

If you have any thoughts or feedback on the OS, there is actually a function within the technical preview for you to submit it to the development team. The preview lasts for another 5 months, and Win10 (last I heard) is going to be available near the end of 2015.

Also, if you install this UNFINISHED OS to your main PC and it screws it up with you not having a backup or clue as to how you might fix it, you have only yourself to blame.

Anyone else reserve this? I'm still waiting on the update to come myself. :hmmm:

I didn't think it was going to take too long after June 29.

EDIT: Never mind. It's July 29. Wow. :lew:

Anyway, I honestly haven't read much about Windows 10, other than it's going to be the "final Windows"? That's interesting.

Last edited:
Reserved, didn't get the notification it was ready, so I downloaded the media tool and manually installed it myself. I've been enjoying Windows 10 since (even though I was really against getting it and was saying I was standing my ground with Windows 8.1. I do love the customization that comes with Win10, and it just looks a lot more slick all together.

Glad I made the chance. I'm on Win10 Home so the only irritation for me (bar the obvious bugs they need to fix) is the automatic Windows update. x____X Aside from that I really shouldn't complain.

Reserved, didn't get the notification it was ready, so I downloaded the media tool and manually installed it myself. I've been enjoying Windows 10 since (even though I was really against getting it and was saying I was standing my ground with Windows 8.1. I do love the customization that comes with Win10, and it just looks a lot more slick all together.

Glad I made the chance. I'm on Win10 Home so the only irritation for me (bar the obvious bugs they need to fix) is the automatic Windows update. x____X Aside from that I really shouldn't complain.

This! W10 looks much more modern and doesn't completely focus on tiles for the main desktop (the more normal desktop version on W8 always felt like it was an afterthought). I'm loving it so far and it's an improvement in mostly little subtle ways :grin:.

I recommend it to those on the fence. Especially since the upgrade method is really simple (click and you're away!) and pretty quick (a few hours maybe).

finally upgraded to Windows 10... still getting my head around it :s I've gotten too used to the setup of 8. On a plus side, its quite fast. I do like how they brought the classic menu back

Back