Bomb
Black Mage
Terra
Cloud Strife
FFXIV
Shu
FFXIV Server
Lamia
Alright folks, I think sometime in November and December, I would like to start an annual feedback count from you folks. What I mean is, what features did you enjoy that were implemented in 2014 to the site, and is there anything that you would like to see more of?

I want to make this a conscious effort to attract new people and bring back old. I want to make this feel like your dad's comfortable recliner. Yea it might be old, yea it might look kind of, iffy, but it's always comfortable to lay back in.

This place is your place, so let me ask you guys/gals.. Is there anything that you would like to see in the year of 2014 (winding down) implemented that has not? Also is there anything that would make your life easier (conditional on being within the forums).

You members are the community, we want to spice this place up for you! :monster:

I want to start a thing that we do called... EDI, but instead call it a MDI.

Member Driven Innovation - You folks have the power.. what'll it be?

The articles have been better, and some of them are either concluded or reworked. The new additions definitely make me want to read on more. But I still feel like its new territory, what could be good if more opinion designed discussions can be brought up. Perhaps advertise competitions and progress in certain areas.

I just want to put a 'good job' out there to everyone who had a hand in cleaning the site up. At the beginning of 2014 it had way too much clutter on-screen, and now it looks terrific. (y)

The site DOES look a lot better than it did a year ago.

I've been giving feedback and my general gripes left and right since I've returned from my hiatus. My concerns, as they were a month ago, are still centered around staff being less of an invisible hand operating from the darkness. If you delete something a member made, then inform what AND why. Yes, some members won't like it and you may not care for them or their attitude much, but it gives them opportunity for correction and perspective. Have seen it happens a few time times this year and it has left a bitter taste in my mouth.

1) As I mentioned to the Gaia moderators, I'd like to see the post-gate from the Advertising Board removed. After PMing them the massive list of threads the invalidated, they instead opted to lower the post count and give the old threads a free ticket. My point here being that you are not motivating poachers or general advertise to be a part of our community by doing this, they will either not post or ignore the rule. If they did ACTUALLY post, it would be rapid-fire fluff posts with no real value. This is the activity you want? The first time the rule had to be invoked, instead of addressing the fatal concern that it alienates 70% of the target audience (not an exaggeration), staff chose instead to issue a free pass. Why have the rule, then? Also, why the hell can't we advertise physical goods that we're selling via Amazon, Ebay, etc? Honestly, why?

2) Since I have already broke this rule in the above paragraph, I may as well include the fact that I'd like to see a place where we can discuss our concerns with staff publicly on the fly. It's more of an issue with honest criticism. When addressing the Advertising Board issue, I felt I was given a bureaucratic "go fuck yourself" instead of any real substantial reasoning for such a bizarre rule change. Giving us a private-only access does not allow you to weigh community opinion vs staff opinion and is easily abused. I'm not saying staff needs to tolerate abuse, but this is why basic forum rules have already been created. IMO, use them or GTFO. Before it is brought up, the Feed & Suggestions as well as help desk does not permit this:

If you disagree with a decision made by a member of staff (closing, moving, warning etc), then PM the moderator in question about it. If you think that the moderator is being unreasonable, contact the forum Administrators (Mitsuki or Shu) and present your problem to them.

• Do not argue with a staff decision in public. If you have a dispute with why a staff member may have closed/archived your thread, take your issue to the PM system. If another member posts and breaks any rule, or causes any drama, do not contribute to the atmosphere. Let a member of staff come and deal with the matter, do not try to end the matter yourself. You may be warned in turn, also, if this happens.

3) Tia already addressed this concern, but I'd like to see more timely responses in the help desk. If you have no answers, then at least say that you are looking into it and bringing the issue to the correct authorities that be. How discouraging would it be for, say, a new member to join and be unable to access their favorite section, then wait a week or more for a basic response in the help desk? I'd flat out leave. As I suggested there, maybe ask some of your bored/eager members of staff to sub to the section for a notification of a new issue. You guys did a fantastic job of getting right on it when I had a slider issue, so I'm not saying this is always the case at all. Just...that it happens. I mean, seriously, look how many of the threads aren't even moved to "Solved"? It looks very haphazardly handled...granted, that is only a cosmetic portion of it, but looks count.

4) In a lot of ways, it seems often times that staff's left hand has no idea what the right is doing. It may be time to rethink things like the Watch List and whatever you guys use for general discussion. It's difficult for me to provide an example of this on the fly, but if I run into one I'd be happy to send it if you provide a person/area for me to do so.

Those are my current major concerns. I've been quite the nuisance to staff lately with opinions and feedback. Aside from that, things are fine. Luke is right in that the site looks much better and I like some of the initiative being taken in many areas. Raz is also right in respect to the articles. They could use a number of additional improvements as well, such as more options for font coloration, the ability to add rep, "Similar Articles" similar to the Related Posts system, About the Author, etc.

Last edited:
Back