GFX Chit Chat

Six

𝗦𝗼𝗹𝗶𝘁𝘂𝗱𝗲 *★.• ·
Staff member
Admin Support
Social Media Team
Veteran
Gil
Chat with your fellow GFX designers. The general forum rules apply.

So, what do you think of DeviantART's new logo?
rabbithole.png

There's a lot of negative feedback from the community regarding their decision to re-brand their site. Many believe that it goes against the "deviant" voice of the community and fails to represent DeviantART particularly in terms of brand recognition. On top of that, apparently the logo also looks very similar to that of another site called PLATZKART. On a site where art theft is already a problem, a visually similar logo may send out a very wrong message.

Anyway, since we all use DeviantART to host and display our works and maybe even portfolios, what are your thoughts on this new venture?

My initial thought was that it resembles a dancing Cactuar, Gal. Perhaps that's why you don't like it? =P

In seriousness, it resembles a Cactuar. I'm not sure why they had to go and change it, the old one looks perfectly good to me. But I'm sure they have their reasons. I'm not too bothered by it though, but I wouldn't mind seeing the old one back.

Hmmm... See for me, I don't like change very much. I noticed the logo change the other day, and was pretty annoyed. I can't say for sure if it's because I don't adapt easily to things like these or because I really don't like the logo. I can say I much prefer the old logo.

I don't know about another site using a similar logo. Just looked it up and it looks identical, though. I really think big changes like these should be taken into careful consideration by the people who run the place, and I'd much prefer the old logo to come back, at least the DA made sense in said logo, now it just looks like a deformed cactuar.

I'm sure I'll get used to it over time, so it's no big, but if I could choose I'd revert back. I won't be using the new logo either, I prefer the DA one.

Edit: Mits. :lew:

Normally I'm of the mind that "if it ain't broke, leave it alone" so I admit that I wasn't thrilled with the change. The new logo looks more at home on a city planner's desk rather than something for an art community. Although, when I first saw the logo I thought they were trying to promote some ecofriendly washing up liquid (dat green! o_O). Anyways, like Kira, I'm in no hurry to use the new logo, it doesn't makes sense and yes...it does look like a cactuar :sadpanda:

hqhNDqQ.png

I APPROVEE!! As a sasuke fangirl I think that is freaking glorious :cali: But... I don't get how you made it look so much better than the original. Did you redraw it yourself? Because it went from really flat and LQ to High rez and as glossy as my eyes during a clerith scene. :lew: Just a fantastic signature, m'am. I especially love the color tone n' lighting used. would you ever be willing to upload a psd or tutorial? i would def use it.

Gonna move the convo here, Cal! I don't have the PSD for this one anymore. I don't mind sharing a PSD with you though, if that helps you like a tutorial does. I don't mind making tutorials for you either. =] Put a few up already anyway: http://www.finalfantasyforums.net/threads/61115-Studio-6-Tutorials I do still have the Wolf Payday PSD. I've gotten better with saving my PSDs as of late, but sometimes I forget and close Photoshop and I'm fooked. =[

Hmm, that's alright then! I'm gonna go visit your tuts page now. Thanks kira! :ohoho:

You're welcome. Let me know if you do end up wanting a PSD. :D

i can't wait for sotw. i wish it was active now. i have so much interest currently and i have nothing to make :okay:

Stray Arrows, yeaaah. I feel the same way. I kinda wanna start it now, but then I'm worried with the holidays about voting threads etc. I'll go ahead and send you a PM regarding the changes and stuff for January though.

danke shoen :britt:

whatever, it'll give me something to look forward to :lew:

Stray Arrows

Well, I suppose that since the first SOTW theme for January will be freestyle, you could go ahead and make something for that if you're in the mood!

Will do! I'm trying my hand at it currently. Already have an idea of what I want to do with this render I found. :ari:

Does anyone get so sick of seeing their own graphics after a while?

When working on a piece for a few hours, it's hard to know if I've nailed it or failed it once it's completed. I'm just after finishing a piece now and I can't quite decide if it's considered complete because it legitimately is, or I'm just so sick of seeing it.

Also, I've actually started disliking going through my portfolio, either to link an image to someone or to rearrange it due to a new upload. Seeing those graphics just waiting there for me is getting on my nerves a little :worried:.

Anyone else by chance experience the same thing?

Does anyone get so sick of seeing their own graphics after a while?

When working on a piece for a few hours, it's hard to know if I've nailed it or failed it once it's completed. I'm just after finishing a piece now and I can't quite decide if it's considered complete because it legitimately is, or I'm just so sick of seeing it.

No you're definitely not alone here. The trick is to stop working on it for a little while. Look at something else for a while to get your mind off looking at whatever you're working on. Then, look back at it and see what else needs to be done. That usually helps me.

I get tired of seeing my own stuff in like 5 minutes.

I can't even make a sig for myself without trashing it every 5 seconds.

I don't think I've ever been 100% pleased with my own work, but then again, you are your own worst critic as they say. It's not like I'm that sickened by it that I trash my work every 10 minutes, that's a tad bit over the top for me. :lew: Hayabusa

I think for me, it does bother me to keep an actual updated "portfolio" to look back and see something I really don't like... I much rather upload what I think looks okay, however. I learned the hard way. I deleted all my old work once, I can't even remember if it was intentional or not, but I don't own any of my work anymore that I made when I joined this forum for example, so I've learned to tolerate my graphics a lot more since that happened.

So no, looking at my own work doesn't get on my nerves, but I also don't think it's the best stuff out there.

I don't think I've ever been 100% pleased with my own work, but then again, you are your own worst critic as they say. It's not like I'm that sickened by it that I trash my work every 10 minutes, that's a tad bit over the top for me. :lew: Hayabusa

I think for me, it does bother me to keep an actual updated "portfolio" to look back and see something I really don't like... I much rather upload what I think looks okay, however. I learned the hard way. I deleted all my old work once, I can't even remember if it was intentional or not, but I don't own any of my work anymore that I made when I joined this forum for example, so I've learned to tolerate my graphics a lot more since that happened.

So no, looking at my own work doesn't get on my nerves, but I also don't think it's the best stuff out there.

Hmm, there is a lot of food for thought there; it's a healthy perspective to maintain on one's work.

I mostly keep an updated portfolio rather than a portfolio with specifically selected works because it's hard to know what's going to appeal to what people. When getting your stuff "out there", you never know what's going to grab someone's interest; sometimes it is going to be that random piece you made way back when, that's crappy and noobish to your eyes- people are funny that way.

However, having a compilation of your pieces that you specifically like can be pretty uplifting and maybe help keep you fresh and focused for new pieces. There are so many other reasons to create graphics (requests, banners for threads or forums, wallpapers, free-use resources, blah blah) so it's good to create a little gallery or something for yourself in the end.

Yeah, a compilation for those who tend to "end up hating their own work" is really something to consider. I know a lot of people that just flat out give up on Photoshop/Gimp/GFX in general because they get tired of "hating on their own work". It's not worth it, and if making a portfolio with only things you're proud of keeps your spirit up, I definitely say go for it.

On just portfolios in general, personally, I don't think you should look at what pleases anyone but yourself. It's your work out there for a hobby (not talking job related).

Damn, how has this place changed ever since I was last here.

I haven't even made a siggy in such a long time, too...
HI, GUYS!
I'm outta the loop here, but I'll get back in eventually and hopefully!

Back