GFX Chit Chat

Welcome back to the dark side of the moon Jasmine You. It's kind of quiet around these parts of late so feel free to plug in the amps!

Looking forward to seeing your new work. I particularly like your style in all it's gritty glory.

Oh wooow, old face. :D Exciting to see you're back. We're not as 'booming' due to a lack of (active) graphic artists, but we're still going strong. SOTW is still a thing too. Glad to see you're back and I can't wait to see your work!

Alright, for those of you who use GIMP.

Can someone please tell me how I can upload my curves setting for other people to use? i'm trying to do XCFs for folks but some of mine require curving. or should they do that themselves? :hmmm:

Does anyone photoshop for fun and/or practice, or do you all just make your pieces to enter competitions?

I used to make a lot of personal signatures and avatars, even if I wouldn't use them personally. I haven't as much the last couple of years, but I was thinking about it yesterday... kinda miss it. :lew:

I was looking through my old graphic work the other day and I really do miss making them for fun. I'd like to get back into it once in awhile, but it's tough though because I'm short on time these days. It's ironic though, that the only reason why I'm back here and posting this right now is because I remembered I used to post graphics here and wanted to see if people were still doing it. Maybe one of these days I'll post some work for fun. :D

Yeah I still make graphics for fun (although I only enter competitions for the funs of it too :D). Mostly if there's a quote or point I want to represent or feel inspired by then I'll go ahead and do it, as opposed to creating something for the practice. I'm not arsed to innately practice anymore to be honest, inspired practice is what keeps me going.

Who here has deleted their GFX resource folder (without backup!) to start over completely new and fresh?

I've done this a few years ago - I knew where to find some resources though, so I still had some staples back into my kit if you will. :lew: I've not used Photoshop in a long time now, and barely make graphics but I've been considering getting back into the swing of things, and I'm thinking maybe a fresh start is good instead of the overwhelming amount of resources I have lingering around. :hmmm:

How do you guys start again after you've been in a rut with graphic design?

Who here has deleted their GFX resource folder (without backup!) to start over completely new and fresh?

I've done this a few years ago - I knew where to find some resources though, so I still had some staples back into my kit if you will. :lew: I've not used Photoshop in a long time now, and barely make graphics but I've been considering getting back into the swing of things, and I'm thinking maybe a fresh start is good instead of the overwhelming amount of resources I have lingering around. :hmmm:

I see it as an opportunity to start over and fresh. Also gives me some inspiration, but not always.

Sometimes I'll try make some of my own resources from scratch, particularly the likes of textures, just to play around with layout and perhaps a few font styles; something a little more basic than a polished masterpiece type thing.

But yeah, I find throwing my current Graphic Design library folder onto an external hard drive and starting with a clean one is so refreshing - actually deleting the folder shows so much more dedication to that feeling of renewal.

For those of you who are / or have run a GFX shop? What was the reason you started one? Did you just want practice or did you actually want to create work for people?

If you're closed your shop since, how come?

I'm currently in the 'brainstorming' process of creating a new one. Even though the forums don't seem to active with requests I'd like to have one open regardless. :D

@Galadín @Mitsuki @daredevil @Hayabusa @Steve-O

I started my shop because my friend (for like ever) would always gas me up and ask me to do requests and she was like "your shit is the bomb" and would give me honest criticisms but she also just built my whole confidence for my graphics up and at the time I was like "yeah, i can do this for other people, too!" so I made a gfx shop on every forum i was on. i ended up only keeping this one for a while. i just got too overwhelmed and my confidence never had a chance to grow in between so i just felt deflated about graphics.

i stopped graphics for the same reason. nobody wants to admit it, but hearing that you did good also keeps you going. and when you don't get much commentary back or anything you feel like there's not a point. so i stopped. slowed down on SOTW, slowed down on GFX in general. combine that with a lot of years of IRL problems that made me too depressed, i just had no drive.

but that turned out to be a good thing, i think. because somehow, i went, like, 3 years without anything serious, and i picked up recently and i'm really impressed with what i've been doing. i haven't shown half my pieces to anyone yet, but i'm actually proud of what i'm doing.

another thing is, i use GIMP and it's been behind in some areas. but there's been an amazing update recently and it's got me PUMPED.

i don't plan on reopening a shop. but i do want to make a fresh thread for my work really soon.

nobody wants to admit it, but hearing that you did good also keeps you going.

This. This goes for 90% of the graphic artists, if not everyone. It's not that we need to be told our work is amazing, but it's a thought process of... why would I take the time to post if no one is even going to look at it? It feels like you've wasted your time. I know it's something I struggle with a bit more since the GFX side of the forum took a hit with inactivity. For some reason I keep trying to rope people back in, though. I mean, you have to try, right? Can't just... 'give up'.

i picked up recently and i'm really impressed with what i've been doing. i haven't shown half my pieces to anyone yet, but i'm actually proud of what i'm doing.

another thing is, i use GIMP and it's been behind in some areas. but there's been an amazing update recently and it's got me PUMPED.

i don't plan on reopening a shop. but i do want to make a fresh thread for my work really soon.

Where are these shiny new graphics?! Post them! I recently closed my GFX shop and my GFX thread. I'll be opening a new shop and remaking my GFX thread once I got a few more new graphics.

Stoked to hear your GIMP received an update, that must feel great. I hate the Photoshop changes they made, though!

Hopefully we can all keep the activity going by interacting and posting! :)

For those of you who are / or have run a GFX shop? What was the reason you started one? Did you just want practice or did you actually want to create work for people?

If you're closed your shop since, how come?

I'm currently in the 'brainstorming' process of creating a new one. Even though the forums don't seem to active with requests I'd like to have one open regardless. :D

@Galadín @Mitsuki @daredevil @Hayabusa @Steve-O

The reason I started a GFX shop was mainly because I started to make my own avatars/signatures, for the various forums I went to then. When I realized people also wanted the same thing, I offered up my skills to the community. It served both as a platform to keep practicing and getting, and also to give back to the community. (And it's nice to see your stuff plastered all over the area when you're the only one who's actively keeping up with people's requests.)

I started doing GFX mostly through getting requests from fellow Dissidia team members on another forum. There were a lot of people in the team so creating team signatures, avatars and banners was an on-going process. Other teams started wanting GFX too so it was a natural progression to open a GFX shop. When I arrived here, the GFX section was pretty active and it was a whole different ball game with so many talented and creative artists. I had become a bit stretched out creating GFX sets for people and FFF was a fresh new platform that felt inspiring albeit a little intimidating! :D There was just as much importance to showcasing your work as there was in creating it and this gave me the breather I needed to get back in touch with the love for GFX that had been missing for some time under the strain of filling out requests. Initially I had set up a GFX, Resource and Gallery thread but later started a shop too. There was a gradual 'slowing down' (I refuse to acknowledge inactivity :lew:) in the GFX section so I later streamlined my threads to the two I have going now. Despite being in design collage, I still manage to stay inspired which is largely due to FFF. Now I mostly create pieces for practice and for future SOTW contests when (not if!) it makes its triumphant return!

There was just as much importance to showcasing your work as there was in creating it and this gave me the breather I needed to get back in touch with the love for GFX that had been missing for some time under the strain of filling out requests.

This, 100%. This is my main reason for closing my shop years ago. I was not producing quality work because a lot of the requests from members back then (and back in the days there were many GFX artists and a ton of members wanting signatures) had particular details they want added / don't want included, varying from text, colors, effects, you name it. I had to step back a little and really process the whole setup. I told myself I can get better with practice, and while true, practice isn't the only factor for producing work that you're actually happy with. There has to be a sense of respect for your work, time, and skills and this needs to be communicated to yourself, first and foremost. Then to the people you're trying to please. I find that under the stress and strain of fulfilling someone's own vision that's not my own (and probably don't agree with), things can go downhill quickly. That's something I'm trying to avoid.

Trying to fulfill requests for people is challenging to say the least. We can tell ourselves, "It's not impossible, I can do it..." but we are our own worst critic and I say that for good reasons.

:hmmm: I'm having a minor Photoshop problem that I didn't want to make a new thread about, so I'm dropping it in here in the event that someone knows what's the dealio.

Having an issue with my shortcut keys. Something I'm doing makes it so that when I hit another shortcut key it gives me an error ding or it opens up one of the top menus. For example, if I hit Ctrl V it opens up the view tab up top. It never actually does my shortcut that I'm asking it to do.

I've tried googling my issue but the best solution I've come up with is to go into preferences and hit the Reset Warning Dialogs button - but I can't actually figure out what I'm accidentally doing or not doing that makes it behave in that way. I'm sure there is an actual answer out there but the words I'm apparently using to google my problem isn't lining up I guess.

Hmm DaggerTribal I can't help you there, I'm afraid.

I barely use the shortcut keys myself (oops), plus I've never run into this issue before... Gonna give it a shout on the Discord as well, see if people have an idea. ;)

DSXIII mentioned it might be Caps Lock? Maybe worth looking into! :D

Others mentioned:

Tank Today at 15:32
Never had that problem, but from looking it up apparently changing the language in Windows fixes it for some people, so could try changing from one standard of english to another

ribbit Today at 15:34
A bit of a stretch but keyboard changed to another region?

DSXIII Today at 15:34
Also edit>keyboard shortcuts opens that menu maybe there's a default setting that got mixed up somehow

It's really not a huge issue! I just wanted to see if anyone else had this issue in the past to see how common it maybe is? It's just a minor inconvenience. So far the only explanation I have found is that it's possible that I've been hitting alt, which toggles the shortcut keys, but when I hit it again it doesn't actually stop the problem from happening, so who knows.

I barely use the shortcut keys myself (oops)

:gonk:

Do you have a screenshot?

I'll take a screenshot next time it happens, but it's just the menu being dropped down that is causing the problem.

Actually I'm trying to take a screenshot now and it's not actually print screening like it's supposed to. So maybe my keyboard is fudged

• Haha
Reactions: Six
Back