Writing in Public - Are you comfortable?

The Witch

I myself am strange and unusual
Veteran
Gil
Rinoa Heartilly
Squall Leonhart
Tifa Lockhart
Jenova
Moogle
Cactuar
Alright, I'm usually not a 'embarrassed' type of person, I'll do a lot of dorky things and do a lot of stupid things and not care at all and I have a somewhat decent humility aspect to my character. But, I find that it's incredibly hard to write in public places. If I feel like someone can see what I'm writing, I just can't do it. No matter how much I try. It could be my siblings or strangers... I just can't do it. In fact, if there is another person in the same room in which I am currently writing in, I might as well just close microsoft word or close a notebook (I sometimes write in notebooks!). I don't really know why. It's not like I'm writing smuts/something bad, so why is it so hard for me to write in public? Is this my mind's way of telling me I shouldn't write what I'm writing even if I'm enjoying it at the moment? Is my brain trying to save me the embarrassment of publishing it? As if deep in my subconscious I know it's shitty and it will be a bad thing to share it with the world, so my brain just gives me this silly anxiety (I guess this is what it's called) in order so I never actually write what I'm setting out to write. :wacky:

I thought maybe it's because of draft issues (like grammar mistakes, etc) but I kinda have a habit of never making very obvious grammar mistakes or at least not enough where it looks ridiculously embarrassing for the author.

Am I the only one? Because I see a LOT of people online always talking about how writing in coffee shops or something is their favorite place to write... and I'm always just wanting a private area to write in. And not just for fanfictions, but for everything. Does anyone have any possible remedies for this? Because with my current situation, the only place I can write is in public.

It's not the feeling that someone is watching or reading along that bothers me when writing in public places, it's the fact that I'm too easily distracted. I still love using pen and paper to jot down ideas for the forum and I have no issue doing so in public. I even prefer writing with that than doing so on the computer. :lew:

Remedies... Perhaps take an MP3 player or iPod with you so that you can listen to music while in said public place, it may distract you from the "idea" that stops you from doing so, or that makes it hard to do so.

I have no problem doing college work or essays in coffee shops, libraries and so on... But reading is something I can't do in public.

For some reason or another, I get very self-conscious when I'm reading fiction in public. Like- as said before- someone is watching over my shoulders.

It's also the same for creative writing...

Although, I don't spend much time in coffee shops because... Well, I don't usually like the people in there, in general. 0.0

I have no problem doing college work or essays in coffee shops, libraries and so on... But reading is something I can't do in public.

For some reason or another, I get very self-conscious when I'm reading fiction in public. Like- as said before- someone is watching over my shoulders.

It's also the same for creative writing...

Although, I don't spend much time in coffee shops because... Well, I don't usually like the people in there, in general. 0.0

I'm very much the same way. Minus the not liking people in coffee shops aspect anyway. I usually keep myself separate from people anyway because I'm a very private sort of guy. :updown:

Typically speaking my handwriting is so small and atrocious that nobody would really be able to read anything that I wrote without getting ridiculously close to me. Nobody does this. Even if they did they'd probably need to ask for a translation. :argor:

But reading is something I'm more self-conscious about. A book or paper, etc, is more easily recognisable from a distance. With a brief glance a person will know what you are reading, and the human race being rather silly they like to make certain sweeping judgements about a person's character from time to time. There's no need to be nervous about that, really, but a lot of people are. Personally when I do read in public it tends to be articles that I've printed off (and hence it is not noticeable from a distance, and the print is usually small, fitting two pages on each sheet of paper to save cost). Sometimes I do take a small book with me in my pocket, but it tends to be ancient classics, etc, since for some reason I can't get enough of that sort of thing.

As for writing, I don't tend to do a lot in public. I sometimes write down some thoughts on spare paper which I keep in my pocket. Sometimes I'd write down ideas that have been knocking about in my head, or some things that I would like to research and investigate. It's mostly that sort of thing. I don't write novels or short stories, so I don't write them in public. I write down ideas and brainstorm stories, but that typically is as far as things like that go for me. I fear that nobody would care to read any story written by me.

I've never heard of this before...is it a common issue?

I'm perfectly comfortable writing in a public place, but I don't usually have my back to the majority of the populace. Not out of fear they will see what I'm writing, but rather I like to see what is going on as I'm writing.

I'm also comfortable reading and speaking, but when doing so I dislike standing in front of a seated audience. I like to be sitting if they are, or standing if they are, i.e. speaking at a table or at the front of a standing occasion. It invokes a sense of equality that makes it easily tolerable. Standing in front of seated people makes me feel too much in the spotlight.

Can't say I've ever busted out a notebook to write in a coffee shop before. The only public place I would feel at home when writing is at a library. That was actually my hang out place during my teen years, though I did more reading than actual writing. But when I had a study group for a project and research/writing is required, the library is my sanctuary. Doesn't matter that there's people around. I kinda find comfort in that, actually. I remember asking my stepmom to drop me off the library any chance I can get, and she started suspecting that I was meeting a guy because I went so many times and stayed for more than a couple hours. xD But yeah, other than the library or school setting, I don't think I'd feel comfortable writing in public.

I'm not sure what kind of possible remedies would work for you, Cali. It's just a matter of training yourself not to be easily distracted and tune out the people around you. Maybe rather than a coffee shop, try someplace that's not too enclosed? Ambient lighting might relax you as well, so long as it doesn't bother your eyes.

By the way, do you actually like coffee? Because that's probably why some people enjoy writing at a coffee shop. I love coffee, by the way, but I still don't think I'd go to a coffee shop for the purpose of writing. So, just a thought. You should try to find a place that's comfortable and natural for you, before you can start writing with others around you and not let it distract you.

For me I feel a bit awkward because I'm the type of person that really gets into what they're reading/writing. I might make faces or laugh out loud or something of that nature and it makes me self-conscious :updown:

I do it anyway, though, and just do my best to stifle my reactions. The only time I'm writing/reading in public is when I'm eating lunch over my work break, so all the reading/writing is done on my phone in one hand while I eat with the other. For some reason multitasking like this makes it seem much less awkward.

Like Kirito, when I write I tend to really get into what I'm writing (except I don't laugh because mostly what I write isn't that funny :sad3:) so because of this I tend to not want to write in public since I either end up looking fiercely at my screen (or scribbling furiously in my notebook), when I'm writing the more angry or sad parts, or I'm grinning like an eejit when a character is doing something adorable. I admit to getting some funny looks when I do resurface for some refreshments.

Sometimes I cannot write at all when I'm out and about. Although I'm tuned into the music that's inspiring me and I know what I want to write, the fact that people are around in general makes me unable to get that involved with the flow of creativity (sorry for the extra cheese there) because I am so rooted in reality and am aware of all these presences that don't belong in what I'm doing so I feel a little weirded out and freakish. :wacky:

My point is this; perhaps the level you need to go to in your mind (your creative zen for want of a better word) is very private to you and makes you feel vulnerable when you "show it" in public. What you are writing down is a pure and raw form of yourself so you may feel exposed, even if you know consciously that no one is looking, if you even feel that someone can see what you're writing the whole creative process freezes.

Maybe doing what Mitsuki advised might really help. Finding a place in which you are comfortable might create a feeling of well being and seclusion which could replicate the idea of privacy. At that point one could also explore the theory of "feeling the fear and doing it anyway". You are being honest with yourself but forging on ahead on your own terms despite the negative feelings.

Can't focus enough. My tendency to absorb the atmosphere around me, check every person, identify every sound, really scatters my focus and I can't get a sentence written down. I prefer a controlled, private environment.

I've been putting my imagination to work from a very young age, so I got good storing ideas for when I need them. It's never an issue at work, but in my downtime I practice jotting down ideas too.

It depends on what I'm writing. I write in public all the time. As a matter of fact, writing in coffee shops is one of my favorite things to do. I also write a large majority of my works at work, during my downtime (shhh).

If I'm writing suggestive content though...I prefer to do that at home :P

Back