Savegames in Windows registry, seriously Square Enix?

Godianz

Gil
Hi folk,

First of all.. I love the FF series and I almost played them all.. well for pc that is. What they are really good at is story telling and FF is all about that, the story!

Newly released for pc is this 13 series and I was really disappointed at finding out save games are stored in the windows registry.

Seriously, the registry is not designed for save games but more for application and hardware settings.. It's like trying to cut you're meat with a spoon while having dinner. You can manage to do so but its not designed to use it like that.

So thank you Square for spoiling my 60 or so play-hours only to find out the they are only good at making up good story's and not so good at porting there software to a platform thy don't know poo about.

So for those who read this. please be mindful when restoring you're windows from image or. You will loose all you're data. I can not provide you with the key's to backup since I removed this game from my machine. What a waist of money this was.

Greets,
Godianz

Are you 100% sure of this? I haven't gotten the game on PC yet myself, but according to a lot of people around the web FFXIII save files are stored under "C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Local\SquareEnix\FinalFantasyXIII\save" for the Square Enix Store version and "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\userdata\68310973\292120\remote" for the Steam version.

That being said, if it really is in the registry, if you're careful then it won't really be a problem. Dumb of SE to use such an ancient practice, yes (using the registry for save data was fairly common in the 90s), but not a deal-breaker. Regedit has an export function so you can save the entire FFXIII registry folder to your hard drive as a .reg file, which can then be backed up anywhere you like--even the cloud with, say, Dropbox. Then on another PC or a refreshed install of Windows just double click that .reg file and add it back into the registry. Extra work that the user shouldn't have to do, but not that much.

Sorry for the late replay.
Yes i know this 4 sure, because:

1: I have my userprofile installed on a other local disk. H:\Users\%Username%
2: After restoring my windows7 image to c:\, where I have no userprofile installed.
All save games are gone.
3: My games are also on a separate hard disk. d:\games
4: After checking where the game saves its data with sysinternals procmon.exe in only got registry key´s and no file paths.

Are you 100% sure of this? I haven't gotten the game on PC yet myself, but according to a lot of people around the web FFXIII save files are stored under "C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Local\SquareEnix\FinalFantasyXIII\save" for the Square Enix Store version and "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\userdata\68310973\292120\remote" for the Steam version.

That being said, if it really is in the registry, if you're careful then it won't really be a problem. Dumb of SE to use such an ancient practice, yes (using the registry for save data was fairly common in the 90s), but not a deal-breaker. Regedit has an export function so you can save the entire FFXIII registry folder to your hard drive as a .reg file, which can then be backed up anywhere you like--even the cloud with, say, Dropbox. Then on another PC or a refreshed install of Windows just double click that .reg file and add it back into the registry. Extra work that the user shouldn't have to do, but not that much.

Back