Final Fantasy -- PS vs. PSP/3DS

Gavindale Marchovia

ShinRa Guard
Gil
A quick question for everyone out there... I was doing some research the other day, and found out that there are multiple Final Fantasy games on the 3DS and PSP. They look great with better graphics and gameplay than their counterparts on Playstation and Playstation 2. Now, I have Final Fantasy games 1-10 (except part III), and have completed a few of them (less than half of them). Anyway, back to my question. With new graphics, storyline, gameplay, etc in the versions for PSP and 3DS, I am wondering if I should buy those games for the two consoles, to experience the tweaks from their original versions... or should disregard those new versions and stick to the ones on the PS and PS2?

You mean all the FFs that have been re released on PSP and 3DS right? I'll include the DS versions in my answers considering they play on 3DS anyway:

FF1 - Best on PSP. Better graphics...but not much else improved. Still, those graphics are noice.
FF2 - Best on PSP. While I never played much of the PSP version, the graphics are better and there's not much else that matters with these NES FF's imo.
FF3 - I've only ever played the DS version. A complete overhaul of the NES version.
FF4 - This is split among the fans. The DS version is a complete overhaul. Chibi characters and voice acting. Less of a classic feel, more like a new game. The PSP version is more like the originals but more shiny.
FF5 - Best on GBA. Portability and generally faster gaming.
FF6 - This splits the fanbase too. I prefer the GBA version because it's really fast compared with the PS1 version. The sound is a little bit compromised, but the dialogue is better and there are a few gameplay bonuses (a bonus dungeon at the end and a few more magicite).
FF7 - Only available for PS1 and PC. The portable version is just a direct port with nothing improved.
FF8 - Same as FF8.
FF9 - Same as FF7 and 8.
FF10 - Best on Vita and PS3. If you want portability, then the Vita is perfect for such a huge game. There's the odd added function too, such as quick heal after battles. Also: the graphics are a million times improved.
FF12 - Only available on PS2.

I hope this helps a bit. With how cheap a lot of the new versions are, I definitely say the newest versions are always the best.

I'd recommend to play all parts on PSone. Little LCD-TV, a couch and a nice evening :) playing on Handhekds at home sucks (in my oppinion) ;)
The PSX Controller is also very great for long time sessions :)

only FF 3 isnt available for PSX, so youd have to get it for NdS or PsP

Your question is oddly worded or oddly limiting. Im sure your question was answered but there have always been several remakes that arent limited. Especially with the phrasing of "PS vs. PSP/DS" if were talking about remakes and you strictly want to compare between the PS and PSP/DS, then the only games that apply are ff1, ff2, and ff4. Beside the countless remakes ff1 and 2 always were released together. So those came out on several devices and consoles. In terms of additional content, the PSP version is probabbly the better.for DS the re is only ff4 that has also received a PS remake. ff4 on the PS and DS are roughly the same to me. Ds version added a few bits of story. Overall not too big of a deal. If you prefer 3d style characters, then the DS version is for you. If you prefer 8bit and 16bit art like me, then get the PS version.

Sprout - taking in mind your recommendations, I guess for the time being I will hold off on playing the FF games till I am able to purchase the ones you had mentioned in your message. So that the game is new and fresh. Razberry Knight - thanks for the heads up, I appreciate your advice and your honesty. I will keep what you said in mind.

Sprout basically laid it out best for you.

Personally I'm more of a console gamer so I'll prefer sitting down with a controller and a tv and playing Final Fantasy the old school way. Sure it may not be as mobile or new-age or whatever, but it's just how I've always gamed for anything, so that'll be my preference.

Do keep in mind there is the Download version of the PSP release of Final Fantasy III - it's basically the DS version but with a much better resolution!

Sprout's list is great though I so have a few disagreements.
FF3 - If you don't mind the PSP version being digital (You can import the Asian version which is in English!)
FF4 - The PSP version is far superior, the DS version has horrid framerate issues and the 16-Bit feel just suits the game.
FF5 - It probably is best on GBA.... I really wanted a 3DS version of the game...
FF6 - I have to vote on the PS1 version, it may have lagging load times, but the dialogue in the GBA version is dire to the point where it ruins the characters.
FF7, 8 & 9 - What I have done is made a US PS Store account and downloaded them, the US versions are in full frame and look far superior.

Has anyone downloaded the PSP versions of 1-4 and tried them on Playstation TV? I'd be curious to see if they upscale well.

I haven't seen those particular games on Playstation TV, but I can say that in general the PS TV isn't great at PSP games. Unlike the Vita, the PS TV doesn't have bilinear filtering and controller remapping functions for PSP titles, so you're stuck with straight scaling, no post-processing, and there's no way to remap the D-pad to the right thumbstick for games that use it like a camera. It looks alright, as in it looks like a PSP game blown up to way more pixels than it was meant to be shown on, but I wouldn't say it 'scales well'. Since we're already talking about PS1 games, I'd say if you are alright with how those look, you'll be alright with how PSP games look on the PS TV. Depends on how outdated-looking you're willing to deal with. For me it's not a problem, but these days there are folks who think 900p is unplayable, so... :P

I completely forgot about the psp version. Actually now that I think about it. Its in android and in PC.

Back