The Place I'll Return to Today

Vivi-Gamer

Veteran
Gil
Vivi
Hello Ladies and Gents,

It has been some mighty time since I have been on the forums, however last week I missed such Final Fantasy banter and decided to pop back. I left previously due to privacy concerns but I have been on the forum for quite a few years. I participated in the Tekken Tag 2 Tournament which was ever so much fun and I enjoyed playing and chatting with the chaps and lasses involved.

To re-introduce myself, Vivi :awesome: I have been playing Final Fantasy ever since it hit Europe with VII, though I was more of a spectator of VII (& rather young at the time), VIII would have my first time playing the series properly. Since then I have found it ever so inspiring, I think what I love about Final Fantasy is the grand sense of adventure it offers. I feel the JRPG genre is the best means of producing an adventure, traveling across the world on a quest with companions and getting involved with all the situations which arise along the way - I just haven't seen any film really, project that as well as JRPGs.

Final Fantasy Opinions (We all have them!):

So, when it comes to choosing my favourite Final Fantasy game... it's very tough as I adore many of them. I believe the peak of the series was between VI - X. Each one of them games is worthy of the top spot in my book. But if I had to choose it would be Final Fantasy IX. The reason being not that it went back to the classic medieval roots (If anything I would normally find that off putting, games with settings like Dragon Age or Elder Scroll usually bore me.), But what makes Final Fantasy IX so special to me is the theme of friendship and companionship that spread through out the course of the story. While there are many conflicts through out the game, even with the main party, it's very heartwarming to see them mend or see Zidane go out of his way to help a companion.

Not just that though, as I mentioned before I seek a sense of adventure and I felt IX really delivered, reaching each new continent feelt likes such a big step and the diversity in the environment was just fantastic, I really enjoyed exploring IX's world. Also, IX features my favourite Final Fantasy character - Vivi. Vivi's story is possibly more engaging than IX's main story, I don't mean to be insulting in saying that but following this little mage as he explores what he is was just fascinating and watching him grow with inner strength until he became content with what he was was just such a beautiful thing.

If I had to be critical on Final Fantasy, it would start with XII, to me the game just didn't feel like a Final Fantasy. Which I believe is true as a lot of the main contributors were from the Tactics Ogre series right? For me the focus on a political story over a character driven one just didn't work for me. The only character who I really engaged with was Balthier as he has personality and a backstory. I don't even know why Vaan and Penelo were in the game. But it was also just how lacking the story was, I'd be rushing through so many areas in hope for story progression but it was so slim. The game heated up a little towards the end but it didn't make up for 80 hours of trekking through landcapes and temples. Then there are sequels, I still don't think Final Fantasy should have sequels, X-2 was just cringe worthy - I actually liked the idea of an all female cast but just not ones who were so goofy, Also Yuna was one of my favourite characters in X, the change was just too much. I also enjoyed XIII, but the sequels just became so ludicrous and convoluted - Especially after XIII as reaching towards humanizing Lightning, then they just turn her into this Goddess Warrior/Savior... It was just too much.

I do hold so many other Final Fantasy's in high regard though, it's always been such a tough call for me to name IX my favourite as for many years it has differed. I only played VI last year and was was gobsmacked by how good it was. If I had to name my top 5 FF moments off the top of my head it would be (Not in order):

1. Final Fantasy IX - The Cargo Ship: This sequence just has everything I could ever ask for in an adventure, you have personal conflict with Vivi and the Black Waltz 3, a tear jerking scene as Vivi watches the Mages fall out of the barrels, A tense airship chase, Zidane looking out for Vivi as he collapses and the conflict rises and after the big climax your ship drifts into a magnificent city of Lindblum.

2. Final Fantasy VII - 5 Years Ago Story: The story set in The Kalm Town inn was just so engaging, it had me utterly hooked, as story telling goes I thought it was just really well told and then later in the game we see how such events werent as they were portraid it was just fantastic and probably my favourite part of VII.

3. Final Fantasy VI - Celes on the mountain: Trying not to put spoilers on this one, but gosh, this moment brought me to tears. I really felt Celes sense of isolation and hopelessness in that moment and it was utterly heartbreaking to see her lose all her spirit and resort to watch she did. The brilliant score still renders in my mind as I think back to it.

4. Final Fantasy VIII - The Garden Conflict:
Just Epic! The scale of this conflict was just so huge! And I got completely captivated by it. Just all the little moments from seeing the Galbaida Motorcycles invade to defending the garden and the battle with the solider in the sky. There was just so much going on and I don't think I have ever seen anything as intense as that in a game since.

5. Final Fantasy XIII - Hope's Confrontation: Say what you will about XIII, I thought the whole of Palumpolum was just excellent. But seeing Hope tension build as he and Snow are alone was just so dramatic. The dialogue the voice acting, the moment was just absolutely perfect - I won't lie it made me weep too, especially after all hope resentment Snow still manages to care for Hope as he falls. It was then lovely to see them put their conflict aside too.

There are probably many more moments But there the top 5 which really stand out in my head.

I have a fair about in my FF collection, my favourite item has to be this:
vivi999_zps80e2a24a.jpg
Not just because it's Final Fantasy IX (My favourite Final Fantasy for art direction is VIII easily), but what I love about this book is that it doesn't just feature the usual promotional Amano/Nomura art, but it seems to have such a wide variety. I see it like someone just one day snook into Squaresoft's headquaters and rummaged around the offices finding every contricubtion of art from the team and putting it in one book. It really gives you such a great insight in to how the game was made, so I really treasure this.

I also went to the 25th Anniversary show of Distant Worlds in 2012 at the Royal Albert hall, it was such a joy to listen to the Orchestra play many Final Fantasy tunes I adore.

My main console as of now is my PS3, I also have a PS2, PSP, DS Wii & Dreamcast. My other favourite game series is Metal Gear and I intend to buy a PS4 for The Phantom Pain next year as I just cannot settle for a PS3 version, the game looks magnificent.

I think I've rambled on a bit too long, but I'll be sure to chat and mingle in the forum :smiff:

Welcome back Vivi! Maybe I haven't been around long enough to have known you before (don't go by when the forum says I joined...I only visited for a few days at first), but it was grand talking with you during the tournament yesterday.

I agree completely with a few of your FF opinions. FF6-10 is certainly where the series reached its peak. 9 is also my favourite (and Vivi my favourite character too incidentally). I also think that 12 is a bit garbage as an FF. If it was a stand along game, maybe it would deserve more praise for me, but it didn't do anything nearly as well as the best FF games.

While I personally quite like the FF sequels (X-2 was really fun and allowed for a tonne of customisation imo), I do quite hate the FF spin-offs. FF12: Revenant Wings, FF7: Crisis Core, Dissidia. They were all pretty bad to me. I like Theathrythm, Tactics and Crystal Chronicles though, so there are exceptions.

Good to see you around :sir:.

Welcome back, Vivi-Gamer. =] It was nice to see you participate in the Tekken Tournament a few days ago, and congratulations again for winning that!

I feel the same way about FFXII. I don't dislike the game, but I have my reservations about the story and characters. Just didn't grab me, I guess. FF7 - FF10 were the highlights for me, but I'm really looking forward to FFXV and can only hope that it'll all be worth it.

Hope to see you around then. :)

Welcome (back) :)
VI-IX are really the best ones, I'm enjoying VIII atm. On my PSone like in the old days! ;)

Welcome back! I remember seeing your username around here and there, it's good to see you're back on the forum. Enjoying yourself, I hope. =]

Thanks everyone :) It's kind of you :)

Regarding the FF spin offs, I actually don't mind some, I'm willing to admit Crisis Core was worth the PSP purchase and Dissidia has a fantastic combat system, the story is dire but considering the nature of a compilation of all the games put into one it never had much of a chance.

And yes I am still eagerly awaiting Final Fantasy XV, the games recently overhaul look better than ever, I love the whole idea of using the car giving a roadtrip presence to the game. My favourite game of the last gen was Xenoblade: Chronicles and I get such a similar sense of exploration with this game and I just cannot wait :)

Welcome back, Vivi! :argor:

It was a great Tekken competition, and a lot of fun (even if you did destroy me :sad2:). Well done on winning the competition!

I share many of your opinions about Final Fantasy, and I hold FFs IV-IX as the golden age of Final Fantasy. Within that, FFVI, VII, and IX are particularly dear to me.

I hope to see you stick around some more, and hopefully in some further competitions!

Back