[05/11] Final Fantasy Type-0 to spawn independent series?

Josef Hare

Lord Benovine
Gil
Tabata also says he’d like to continue the Type series of games if this first one is successful, and points out that Square Enix have already filed trademarks for more games under the “Type” brand.

“I would like to make more Type games and make them into a Final Fantasy series. We’ve registered trademarks for it, we’ve gone that far so we want to continue it,” Tabata said. “I’d like to make the Type series the kind of series where we can do the kind of stuff that we really can’t do in the mainline numbered series, so make it a really alternative kind of Final Fantasy.”

What kind of things would Tabata like to do? Well, in an interview with Siliconera earlier this year, he told us all about how he’s fond of history and would like to implement that fondness in a future Final Fantasy game—particularly history surrounding the American Civil War. Perhaps he’ll get the chance to do that someday.
SOURCE

Having not played Type-0 even a smidge, I can't pretend to have a big opinion about this. However if this really happens then it will be very interesting to see Final Fantasy focus on one world and lore for a lengthy amount of time.

I don't like this. I haven't played type 0 after the whole cancellation of the psp version. And I won't play it now simply because I feel like the HD conversion is just a way of making money for Square. If they wanted to bring it over here, they should have just brought the original version.

And the last things we really need is another series of subpar games that they're using to cash in on the fanbase.

The problem with this "Type" series. Its difficult to actually consider. Not only that, but it feels like a heavily complicated story. there's a smartphone alternate history/prequel called "Agito". I wonder what Type-1, Type-2, and Type 3 would be?

I wouldn't mind FF Type-0 if it means having great gameplay, so long as the story is more comprehensible than Dissidia.

I should hope the story would be nothing like Dissidia in any way. I think the storyline of that game was supposed to be silly and nonsensical because it was a big excuse for all the Final Fantasy characters to get together, but I think it was poorly executed anyway, you can write a reality-bending plot that glues lots of things together and still make it cohesive.

I've heard good reception for Type-0's storyline though, so I'm not too worried on that account.

I'm sure its fine, but i'm worried more as a series. its a bit complicated how FF Agito connects with FFType-0.

Back