Final Fantasy IV on DS vs. PSP?

Gavindale Marchovia

ShinRa Guard
Gil
I am making this thread because I wanted to get everyone's opinion on something. Now, I have played through FFIV a few times - on SNES, PS, and GBA. And it never gets old. Each version of the game, with various perks, has it's ups and downs. That said, I was wondering if everyone out there would recommend FFIV for PSP, or DS? It's an odd question, as I have a PSP now, and was planning on eventually getting a 3DS. Or should I just get the whole notion out of my mind and move on? Any thoughts?

The DS / smartphone version just adds a little more back story to Golbez. Overall I never really believed it was significantly better. The cgi is nice on both. The psp version has the after years and an interquel.

I prefer the PSP version. (Keep in mind I haven't actually played either version, I just own both. Okay, correction, I've played a couple hours of each)

There's absolutely nothing wrong with the 3DS one and they both have their pros and cons. The DS has the whole 3D thing going on and one aspect of it that I think was really cool is that the game features voice acting. Most of it good voice acting too, in my opinion.

However, the PSP version just looks so damn good! I mean, as far as 16 bit games with sprites go the PSP version of FFIV is the creme de la creme! I'm also kind of a purist, so I love playing the games in their glorious sprite-based selves. As an added bonus the PSP complete collection comes with the after years as an added bonus, so it's hard to beat that. They both cost around the same price but the DS version is really hard to find in stores these days, and the PSP version can easily be obtained on the PSN store, though I forget the price. I found mine at a Gamestop for 20$.

In the end it's all up to you, though.

I'd say PSP. I tried the DS version but didn't like it very much. The polygons don't really add much and the difficulty is ridiculous.

I think I'll try PSP version then, thank you for the information!C:
I was thinking a while whether I should play GBA, PSP or DS version. I bought the Japanese DS version and English GBA version, but based on what you wrote, the PSP version will be the winner I guess. x,D
But no problem, if I would like to replay it, I'll choose another version. :,D

Team DS here. Just love how beautifully voiced the main cast is, the new added content ( small but it's there ) improvement on graphics and how much of a good challenge the game is. FF IV DS is the hardest version. PSP isn't bad though.

My vote would go to the PSP version. the Graphics on the PSP suit me way better than the ones on the DS. I never really liked them. I own both copies. but the one for the PSP I have the special after years limited edition for. it came with a few lithographs like cards. the original game the in-between story and then the after years make it a more much complete package than that of the Nintendo DS.

Hands down the PSP version! The spites for the PSP ports for 1,2 & 4 are among some of the best looking 2D remasters I've ever seen. Everything brooks so crisp! Yet it still retains the 16bit feel - in comparison to them horrid iOS versions of 5 & 6. A bit turn for the the DS version is the poor framerate - however you can now play this on steam in full HD, sadly not an option for the PSP release :(

Back