Favourite or Most Used Materias?

Six

𝗦𝗼𝗹𝗶𝘁𝘂𝗱𝗲 *★.• ·
Staff member
Admin Support
Social Media Team
Veteran
Gil
What are your favourite or most used materias in this game, and what character are they linked to (if any)?

At the top of my head I'm going to be naming a few. Recently started playing this game again and it's been a while. I tend to have Cloud and Tifa standard in my party, and then I usually random for a third character. I'll make a small list of what I can think of at the moment.

Deathblow; equipped on Tifa - definitely a favourite of mine. I know there's a big chance to hit Miss when it comes to this one, but for some reason I'm usually 7 out of 10 times lucky when using this one. I also like it's animation when equipped to Tifa.

Cover; on Tifa as well - if you favour a limit break this is a must have on the character that is in charge of said limit break. Now I think Tifa's limit break is amazing, and always have a lot of fun with it. There you have it. Lots of damage means lots of slot time!

Enemy Skill; ...also on Tifa - I'm the kind of person to equip my most favourite and most used materias to people I enjoy playing as, explains a lot, right? When it comes to Enemy Skill, I prefer to not give Tifa any Magic Materia so the Enemy Skill is an amazing go-to. It has healing wind, attacks, you name it. What more could you possibly want?

As far as most used; Restore, All, Deathblow, Cover.

Your turn!

I use a party of Cloud, Tifa and a random third as well, it kinda switched between Barret, Yuffie, or Vincent.

Slash-all: On cloud, just like making use of it.

Death blow: On Tifa or Yuffie, they see to have the highest hit rate with it.

Cover: On Barret, well he's tanky enough to take the hits.

Enemy Skill: I like giving one each to my main party, just so in case something happens to one char another party member can pick up the slack.

Other used- All material, hp plus, and then late game a copy of each master material eventually for my main party.

asch_the_bloody__regular_gif__by_sonicheroes97-d6xb3j0.gif

Lightning or Ice.

You can't beat a bit of Knights Of The Round and Mime. Phoenix and Final Attack combo is also a classic.

This time round i have equipped Enemy Skill on Cid and Yuffie, but I'll swap it to Cloud in the battle arena to make use of Big Guard.

I hardly ever use Summons, but i find Alexander captivating.

Added Effect comes in handy early on, especially when you pair it with the right materia for the right boss fight/enemies.

Deathblow; equipped on Tifa - definitely a favourite of mine. I know there's a big chance to hit Miss when it comes to this one, but for some reason I'm usually 7 out of 10 times lucky when using this one. I also like it's animation when equipped to Tifa.

One of Vincent's guns has 255 accuracy, equip Deathblow materia on him with that weapon and he will inflict a critical hit every turn.

Enemy Skill is extremely versatile because you can have a whole plethora of spells without the HP and Strength deduction that you get from magic materia.

Long Range materia is very useful for physically weak characters like Aerith.

I love using a combination of Added Effect and either Transform, Mystify or Seal materias on my weapon.

Command Materia is my favourite.

Enemy Skill - I enjoy collecting them more than using them! Every time I play I have to make sure I don't miss any.

Mime - For me this is easily the most overpowered Materia in the game. Miming limit breaks is absurd.

W-Item - 99 Megalixirs I have no shame.

Cover - When I was younger I underrated cover massively! Works great with Counter Attack on a long range character in the back row.

I would say I flat out ignore Summon Materia but Hades is beast when paired with Added Effect. Both on weapon and on armour.

I used all of them, and I'm not sure if I have a favorite now that I think about it. It's been a long time since I really progressed into FF7 so I can't remember much, but I did use most of the materia mentioned above. Except for Mime. I realized (too late) that was the secret weapon for defeating one of the Weapons in the game...was it Emerald? I forgot. My husband was telling me all about it a long time ago when we were discussing materia.

Quadra Magic was something I used often too. I think I had Yuffie equip it.

My favorite materia would be a tie between Ultima and KOTR.
I always loved casting Ultima because it sounded so insanely badass, plus I loved the way it looked.
KOTR is just epic as fuck. I love using that summon. Not only because it kicks so much ass, but I just love watching it.

Added Effect- This is one of my favorite materia because I can combine it with a status effect materia for offensive or defensive use. It is a very good materia if you know how to utilize it.

Final Attack- Another great materia. This is a perfect materia for defensive use, especially if you combine it with Phoenix materia.

Enemy Skill- The best command materia in the game. Not only it doesn't lower your character's stats, it contains some valuable skills for you to use in tough battle. This is the MVP materia when it comes to strategy.

Steal- This materia is very usefull for stealing valuable items and equipments from monsters and bosses that can only be obtain by them.

Hades- One of the best summon in the game. It's status effects is very usefull against anything you face.

Pheonix- Another usefull summon against tough enemies. The ability to revive your entire party while dealing damage at the same time makes this materia very special.

Mega All- My personal favorite independent materia. Mega All allows all Materia to have the “All Materia” effect which causes each spell to impact all enemies or all characters (depending on the spell type). It also causes the Command Materia Icon Slash All Materia effect.

Those are my top picks and the ones that I find most usefull in the game.

For me, the only real useful materia was Restore. The rest of the materias were fun to use, but only useful in certain situations (Like when the enemy is in the air and you can't hit them.)
Summons were fun to use for a short time, but the long cut scenes made them annoying after a while.

My most used Materia is All, closely followed by Restore. As Shace said, literally nothing else is needed for 99% of the game.

My favorite are usually the Support Materia, since they're so versatile. Things like Counter (not to be confused with Counter Attack) are fantastic, since you can heal with it, buff with it, attack with it, etc. Added Effect is also a super strong one, with one of my favorite early game combinations being Long Range, Counter Attack, Poison/Added Effect. Anytime you're hit, you're likely to counter. It will hit any enemy because of Long Range (and you can be safe in the back row as well), and the poison chance with Added Effect is super high. You can also do some really strange things if you're willing to grind a ton. Filling a character with 8 instances of 4x-Cut/Added Cut means you'll do 12 hits every time you use 4x-Cut. Doubling up can often actually be super useful. Doubling any Magic Materia up with Counter, and then with Quadra-Magic is monstrously powerful if you use the right magic.

DeathBlow seems to be strikingly popular here, which is good to know. Because if you equip it to Tifa with her God's Hand, or Vincent with his Long Barrel R, or Sniper CR, it will never miss; they all have 255 accuracy. Put Counter Attack, Counter/DeathBlow, and DeathBlow/HP Absorb on Tifa or Vincent like that, and every time they get hit, you'll do two free physical attacks, one of which will always be a 100% accurate critical hit that heals that character. Combine that with Cover, and/or Long Range, and well...

I also personally like putting Mega-All on Yuffie with her Conformer and Master Command. Since Conformer makes her do normal damage with Morph, and Mega-All effects nearly everything (including Morph) in Master Command, she can easily farm items from enemies by using Morph as her primary attack command. If you then combine Counter with a separate Morph Materia, she'll do it every time she gets hit. Stack Cover/Long Range on top of that, and you get the idea. Seriously, when I was a kid, I thought most of the Support and Independent Materia were useless. But they're definitely the best, because they work so well in really creative combinations.

I tend to use a variety of stuff, but not normally summons anymore; when I first played I used them a lot but now I've seen the animations way too much :s. I like to use cure, elemental spells, haste, all and HP/MP Plus and 2xCut (same as @Example there ha) most. I don't go very complicated with my strategies :wacky:.

Slash-All and Long Range too :lew:.

I try to limit the amount of materias I use. I generally like to just attack and heal! the likes of 2x Cut and Slash all are fun for me :)

my favorite materia is the enemy skill. all you really need from it is Big Guard, Magic Hammer, Goblin Punch, and White wind. that combination makes it a winning addition to any fight but especially useful in the gold saucer. Restore was always a staple and through disc 1 lightning, ice and fire were also useful. cover to increase limit breaks. counter attack to grind through fights. double cut was always a must as well as mime. only summon i ever used was KOTR and Phoenix
mug was always good. until i got a couple master materias. Final attack was always a must as well.

Back