Build-A-Member
Mogrinch
FFXIV
Mitsuki Calei
FFXIV Server
Lamia
Free Company
Gaia
So my PS3 suddenly stopped reading bluray discs about a week ago. It can play regular DVDs but I can't play games anymore. Yay.

I read about the recent update and apparently people have been having the same issues as me since Feb. Called Sony support a few days ago and the guy said they can offer me their services and charge $80 to replace the bluray drive, since my PS3 is well, out of warranty.

http://www.ign.com/boards/threads/ps3-4-55-update-problems.453763477/

I thought about just replacing the bluray drive myself, but then I read this from someone:

Re: PS3 wont read discs after 4.55 update

Jun 8, 2014

The original blue ray drive started not to work on my PS3 So, I replaced the blueray drive and it worked fine. A few hours later the PS3 software was required to be updated while playing Uncharterd 3.

After this update, the new blue ray drive quit working.

The drive still does not work today. I have tried to call Sony several times and they are adamant that the software update is not the issue. I do not believe them.

http://community.us.playstation.com...discs-after-4-55-update/td-p/42899977/page/4#

So I don't wanna risk still having the issues occur after dishing out extra $$ for something that could potentially be Sony's fault in the first place.

Anyway, anyone else having the same issues? Basically when I insert a bluray disc or any games for that matter, I don't hear the disc spinning. Then after a few seconds, the system makes a noise as if it's about to pop the disc out, but it doesn't. I've read people describing that same issue as well.

I remember having this issue ages ago on my old PS3 (the 60gb bigger one). It was after I'd played FF13 for a bit and the game seemingly broke my disc reader/laser thing. Like you, I rang up Sony and they would have charged about £100 at the time (a few years back) to get the disc reader all sorted.

I ended up just buying a slim and I've had no problems since.

I'm not sure if this would help at all, but seeing the cost of having the thing repaired and the time it would take Sony to sort it, it may just be worth grabbing a cheap (possibly 2nd hand) PS3 from somewhere :).

Back