[18/09] Final Fantasy XV Trailer - TGS 2014

Davey Gaga

Under you like a G.U.Y.
Veteran
Gil
Y'all are slacking if I'm the one with the scoop on this.

Square-Enix graced us with a beautiful new trailer of the real-time battle system, and some unique features that are possible as a result of the switch, as well as some stunning cutscenes.

I just hope that, after 10 years of development, this game delivers the Earth-shattering results it needs to or I fear it's the end of Square-Enix and Final Fantasy for good.

The car just looks so silly

That trailer did nothing to interest me. GTA with swords and dinosaurs

However assuming it ever comes out to which im skepitcal. Itl still be the game thatl get me to buy a ps4

Been more interested in the Scottish referendum stuff today that I didn't get the chance to put any of this up myself, hence the seeming disorganisation of thread topic and front page news article.

Yeah, while the rest of the internet collectively ejaculated, I thought this trailer was kind of disappointing. It looks pretty, but that's a given (whether it means they've solved their engine conundrum remains to be seen) for a game of this budget and stature. But the trailer doesn't bother exploring much in depth of the combat. As far as I'm concerned, it's slowed down, shallow in that it largely consists of swinging oversized swords at wildlife, and doesn't bother to show us how tactical the teleportation/verticality feature can be.

They show us plenty of car footage, but it doesn't tell us whether we can control the car ourselves, and turn this bromance road trip into some Mad Max off-road carnage with giant dinosaurs in the background, or whether the road itself is a corridor simulator in between areas.

But I like the inclusion of Prelude, the callback to past Final Fantasy monsters, and the sense of scale with the maps. Or at least the illusion of scale; they'd better follow up on that Versus XIII vision of expansive maps that stop you short of trying to scale mountains. At the very least, this could be an interesting contest between FFXV and the current holder of the JRPG crown's new project, Xenoblade X. Both now strangely a bit more similar than I originally envisioned them to be.

I still don't like Stella's new design. Sorry, guys, but old Stella from circa 2008-9 was better. This one - impressive polygons and all - looks too much like a generic anime doll-like teenager.

Have we mentioned yet that Nomura has stepped down as director yet? Looks like he's headed to focus on KH3, while Tabata gets the promotion to head director. Whether this means Nomura has stepped down because his job is done, or whether he's had a clash with superiors and has left the project on far from amiable terms remains to be seen. Just conjecture at the moment.

Stella's skin color is weird. Looks like a botched job at a tanning salon. If they fix that to a lighter color that is more appropriate for a blonde I think she will look much more normal.

I think it's pretty clear by now that FFXV won't just be a series of corridors with pretty backdrops. The trailers we have show a nice mix of wide open and structured areas and Noctis zipping all over them. However that movement mechanic works, it requires a lot of space to pull off, which is a good sign.

As for the car, notice that Noctis isn't the one in the driver's seat. So far as we've seen, he's the only character the player will directly control. While there's obviously free camera look in the new TGS trailer the car itself may well be AI-driven, but that's not necessarily a terrible thing. Just look at Chocobo Porters in FFXIV. The car is probably an optional thing, since we see a lot of fighting on the same fields as the characters are driving by. Maybe it's required for some cutscenes and at other times you have the choice to either walk and go wherever you like or ride and take the fast route. That being said, there are times when the car does some off-roading, which to me seems more like something a player would do than an AI would do by design.

Until we get the demo that comes with Type-0 and then E3 2015 a couple months after that we can only speculate. I for one think if you're genuinely critical of the trailer and not just cynical there's actually a lot there to get excited about. It's all insubstantial, sure, but that's what makes it a teaser. It's not supposed to have all the answers, just whet our appetites for them. It succeeded at that for me.

Back