Chocobo Egg
FFXIV
Aoife Linnaete
FFXIV Server
Lamia
Free Company
None
final-fantasy-type-0-nrsd3.jpg

Final Fantasy Type-0 is 80% complete, confirmed producer Hajime Tabata, during an exclusive pre-PAX interview with IGN. It will be released as a retail title for both the Xbox One and the PlayStation 4.

In further interviews, Tabata has stated that while gameplay content will remain untouched and bereft of new additions, gameplay will be tweaked to suit dual stick controllers, and difficulty modes will be introduced to offset complaints from Japanese fans of the PSP version's steep difficulty.

Additionally, first impressions of non-playable footage of Type-0 HD have appeared on the internet. From one individual:

What I took to be most remarkable from this article, though: "Being built with DirectX 11, and solely focusing on new-fen technology, I was stunned to see the first Final Fantasy to hit these systems being played right before me by Tabata himself. I saw him peruse soldier infested streets of what I assumed to be Rubrum, one of four nation holding the power of the world’s power infused crystals, seamlessly entering enemy encounters with an open world vibe. For being a game, that’s claimed to be nearly 80% done, I was ready to throw my wallet down right then and there. It ran so buttery smooth with such visual fidelity that it puts many other titles currently available on new-gen to shame."

One of which is Kotaku's Jason Schreier, who sat with Tabata to seek answers to eight big questions:

1) When is Type-0 HD coming out?

Within the next year, Tabata says. We won't be waiting longer than 365 days. Tabata and Square won't commit to a concrete release date yet, but by August of 2015, we should be playing this game.

"I started to be involved around July 2012ish," he said [development allegedly began in 2012]. "And at that time, I started to gain a better understanding of the PS4/Xbox One console, and really liked the environment of the platform itself, and I believed it would be a good fit for Type-0 as well."

2) Why Xbox One and PS4? Why not Xbox 360 and PS3?

Because Square Enix is concerned about Final Fantasy XV. They want to make sure Final Fantasy fans own current-gen consoles, and Type-0 is their way of helping get people to segue into the modern generation.

3) Is Type-0 ever coming to portable systems?

Nope.

4) Is it true that Square Enix was planning on localizing the PSP version but changed their minds because of business realities?

Yes. The vast bulk of localisation and English voice acting were already completed before the decision to can a western release of the PSP game was made.

5) Will Type-0 HD's development delay Final Fantasy XV at all?

No. FFXV is still top priority.

6) How do Type-0 and Final Fantasy XV differ?

"As an over-arching theme, Type-0 is a war-themed game, so it's kind of like a war movie in a sense. Whereas XV is a road trip kind of movie and adventure that focuses on brotherhood. The overarching theme is kind of different in terms of scenario."

7) Are they adding any new content that wasn't in the PSP version?

Nope. No new story or challenge modes or anything like that. The three main differences are A) high-definition graphics; B) new controls for traditional controllers; and C) difficulty modes, because a lot of Japanese fans told Square Enix that Type-0 was just too hard.

8) Does the game look good?

I think so. Don't expect a traditional Final Fantasy here, and don't expect something that pushes the boundaries of what the PlayStation 4 and Xbox One can do—this is a remake of a PSP game, after all—but the few minutes I saw of Type-0 made me want to play more.

Nova Crystallis | Kotaku

Interesting. I guess we can put to rest the theory that SE initiated work on the project because of the fan translation team's early release. Obviously the E3 announcement was hacked together at the last minute, but if it's really this close to being done already that just means it was a hacked together announcement--not hacked together plans to release the game.

And I've got to say, so far this is the only game that actually makes me feel the need to buy a PS4. FFXV still needs to prove itself in my eyes, so I want to wait until after it is released to see how I feel about it. But Type-0 I already know is awesome. Even as a PSP game it has aged extremely well. It'll hold up nicely as a next-gen title.

Cool, will be looking forward to it... It's funny how long America has been waiting for this one lol

What's it been, like 7 years?

I hate how definitive his answer was about Type-0 not coming to portable systems. it bothers me very much.

Well, since the PSP is dead over here and Sony are flat-out refusing to support the PS Vita beyond making it a glorified PS4 controller, it's not surprising that Square Enix decided to take Type-0 to consoles. If it's any consolation, you'll be able to play it on Vita via remote play.

That is nice to hear that it will be out within the New Year but if FF XV is still top priority, I do not understand why we will have to wait a few more years. Type-0 HD is like a bonus because XV is having development problems and if nothing is going to change except graphics, it should not take more than a year/2 years.

This bothers me just a little, because XV is still top priority but forgotten by most Final Fantasy fans. What does top priority mean, and do they really mean that? Will I even have this game before I start my real life? I am going to be finished university by the time XV comes out.

Lastly, it is nice to see that it is 80% complete, despite the delay of FFXV. Type-0 is a game I ALWAYS wanted to play and I never looked up a single detail of the plot because I do not want to be spoiled. I am glad that I will finally be able to play this during next summer on my Xbox one in ENGLISH. :ryan:

...XV is still top priority but forgotten by most Final Fantasy fans.

:huh:

Lastly, it is nice to see that it is 80% complete, despite the delay of FFXV

"Delay" would imply they even had a tangible window of release planned in the first place. Which they've never had.

---------------

GameInformer had this snippet near the bottom of their article:

Visually, the team is using what it's learned so far developing Final Fantasy XV to improve the textures and models, lighting, and reflections for new-generation hardware. It doesn't look like a game that started as a PSP title. "This isn't an asset-based HD remaster. It's technology based," Tabata told-us, explaining that Type-0 isn't just a fresh coat of paint.

This kind of conflicts with some insiders' confident assertions that this is just an easy remaster job, akin to Peace Walker as part of the MGS HD collection. I think we may be looking at a fancier sort of remaster. Some sections here and there may receive extra treatment, reusing pre-rendered, and using freshly built assets, while others may just be given a thorough polish and up-res. It's definitely not a remake, before anyone starts calling it one, because visually and technically, this ostensibly is not going to match up to current generation AAA games that have been built from the ground up for the latest hardware.

Cool, will be looking forward to it... It's funny how long America has been waiting for this one lol

What's it been, like 7 years?

You're thinking of Final Fantasy Versus XIII, which is now renamed Final Fantasy XV. Type-0 just came out a couple of years ago, pretty much right before the Playstation Vita was announced. Actually, that probably contributed to Type-0 never being released on PSP in English, as Square Enix saw the platform as obsolete.

I hate how definitive his answer was about Type-0 not coming to portable systems. it bothers me very much.
I don't get why you're upset, to be honest. It's finally getting released outside of Japan, so we should simply be satisfied with that.

Personally, I'm stoked that it's coming to the latest-gen systems. I'll probably get to pre-ordering, too.

I don't get why you're upset, to be honest. It's finally getting released outside of Japan, so we should simply be satisfied with that.

Personally, I'm stoked that it's coming to the latest-gen systems. I'll probably get to pre-ordering, too.
Because the game is designed to be portable. so the problem is whether its going to be good or not. playing dissidia on the ps4 without much expansion, just an HD remaster will be a little on the boring side.

You're thinking of Final Fantasy Versus XIII, which is now renamed Final Fantasy XV. Type-0 just came out a couple of years ago, pretty much right before the Playstation Vita was announced. Actually, that probably contributed to Type-0 never being released on PSP in English, as Square Enix saw the platform as obsolete.

I believe before they dubbed it Final Fantasy Type-0 it was Final Fantasy Agito or something. Some of it's artwork was circulating around the internet about the time or before I joined this site :monster:

I think it's unlikely, but maybe I am mistaken

Ah, yes, it originally was called Agito. But that was just at the announcement of the entire Fabula Nova Crystallis series, which was supposed to be a trio comprised of FFXIII, Versus XIII, and Agito XIII. Originally it was going to be a mobile phone game (this was back before the iPhone/Android) but Square Enix decided to rename it Type-0 and put it on the PSP. So I guess technically you could say we've been waiting for Type-0 for 7 years, I just don't personally think of it that way because the Type-0 we have now on PSP and will have in HD next year really only came to life a few years ago. So however you want to look at it is fair enough by me :)

On that note though, SE did make a game for iOS/Android called Agito, and it takes place in the Type-0 universe. That game will be getting localized soon, too :)

It'd be nice on a console for the simple fact that we won't be able to get it localized any other way.

I'd prefer a Vita version myself, but Square-Enix can't seem to make up it's mind on whether or not it deems the Vita an appropriate gaming platform for RPGs. Kind of misleading/frustrating with the release of other RPGs lately on the Vita.

Ok wait, I understand wanting it on Vita, but why would it not "deserve" to be on PS4? I mean many games that were on hand helds have found there way to consoles.

As far as Vita is concerned, the problem is Sony is basically advertising it as a connection to your ps3 or ps4, and isn't exactly a high seller.... Heck PS4 keeps selling like it does it will easily pass Vita very soon.

So really I have no problem with it being on PS4 and I think it "deserves" to be on consoles

Some new news.
How Final Fantasy Type-0 HD Will Be Different From The PSP Version

1) According to Tabata, the difficulty of the game was intense in the original version, and they are now including some difficulties to pick from the start, in hopes of balancing the game.

2) Multiplayer will not be present in any form in the HD version. SE's focus is story, and they stress this by saying the end will be an "emotional ride" and well worth it.

3) No sign of multiplayer will disappoint fans.

4) Tabata believes that playing single player would garner the same attention as multiplayer.

Source: Siliconera

A little disappointed there will be no multiplayer present, but other than that I just cannot wait to finally play this game next year.

Ok wait, I understand wanting it on Vita, but why would it not "deserve" to be on PS4? I mean many games that were on hand helds have found there way to consoles.

As far as Vita is concerned, the problem is Sony is basically advertising it as a connection to your ps3 or ps4, and isn't exactly a high seller.... Heck PS4 keeps selling like it does it will easily pass Vita very soon.

So really I have no problem with it being on PS4 and I think it "deserves" to be on consoles

You're thinking in terms of whether the console is adequate to be on it. But the problem is whether the game is "console" material. I've seen moderate reviews on the game with only one making high claims that it should be on console. the rest were mix reviews on the game. Its still designed as a handheld.

Back