Build-A-Member
Mogrinch
FFXIV
Mitsuki Calei
FFXIV Server
Lamia
Free Company
Gaia
I was playing FFX HD yesterday and I couldn't win the first blitzball tournament even after 7 tries. Finally gave up, especially since we can't skip scenes, it was just taking too much time. But I was wondering, did anyone actually bother winning this tournament? I followed a few tips I read online (pass during the first half so that the Aurochs and Tidus level up) and switched to Manual A, but to no avail. I managed to make a goal with Wakka's Venom Shot later on, but by then the score's usually 2-1. :dry:

Ive always managed to win it though on my first playthrough i didnt even come close.

You pretty much need to secure goals with Tidus' jecht shot as soon as possible because without a doubt your gunna concede goals. I dont think itd be even possible to win without conceding at least one. Your keeper just cant save anything to save his life. Can usually sneak in a goal with Wakka when he comes on. Then just hopefully run the clock down. I reckon a 2-1 win is what most people will get by with. Theres no real good reason to win tho cuz the prize isnt worth it ( i think its a strength sphere ) Its jsut about keeping up appearances because the luca goers are assholes. Specially that guy with the red mop.

The Luca goers championship game has been toned down in this version, but is still insanely hard. Trust me I know this. I managed to beat them 1-0 on my first playthrough of FFX HD. Tidus did not even score because I did not have the Jecht shot. Wakka managed to bring it in with venom shot, and luckily, for me, the goers were fumbling the ball a lot.

My second playthrough of FFX HD (which I only did because I missed some missable al bhed primers) was a NIGHTMARE. I could never ever beat the goers and I eventually just said screw it. It is a game of luck, and after you score, you have to be insanely lucky for them not to tie you.

In the original FFX... I could never win the game at all. I lost during my first run through xD.

All you get is a strength sphere, which could be useful for Tidus or Auron, as it does give +4 strength!

I only bothered trying to win because I never saw the cutscene where the Aurochs win. :monster:

Doesn't it give you a trophy (PS3 trophy lol) for winning too? Thought I read that somewhere too. That was the only reason why I kept trying.

Also, I learned the Jecht Shot on the ship. So does that mean I already had the Jecht Shot during first half, or is it only available after we actually equip it?

I know there's also a trick to winning. If you manage to successfully make a shot, hide behind your goalie until time runs out. Unfortunately, the Goers always manage to make a goal during first half, at least in my case anyway. Usually after that I just reset the game.

The trophy comes from beating your first game, not from the championship game :elmo:

I'm about 50/50 when it comes to this match. Sometimes I'm really good, sometimes really bad. :wacky:

My only real advice is get a goal with Tidus as quickly as possible in each inning, the just hang back and pass the ball as much as you can, or else you can try a few sphere shots to get more goals.

That trophy is for winning any Blitzball tournament. You can play blitzball later with a much better team to win that one. Techs in Blitzball are only available during the second half of the game, Mits. You need to score with Jecht shot before 3 minutes after half time or Wakka will come in and replace Tidus.

Oh...well, blah. Thought it was that first tournament that gives you a trophy for winning. Alright, moving on with the game then. :P

Damn i wanna play that blitzball game once again this time with the Zanarkand Abes!!!

It is very easy once your learn to play blitz ball. My last shot at the first tournament I won 3-1 and on top of that the one goal the luca goes scored was a joke because there shot number was 2 point below my goalies block number. It always seems to go like that for the other guys tho eh?. No matter tho.

1st goal - Tidus - Normal shot just in the right position
2nd goal - tidus - Jecht shot which mean no effort put in on anyones part.
3rd goal - Wakka- Venom shot.

All you need to do is pass and dribble your way up the left side using your center and defense to bring the ball up. When you get one guy who gets close to you force a stop/encounter. then break and dribble over them/pass to someone else depending on stats. Finally once your scorer is in position which means tidus/waka and by in position I mean close enough to the net that they will be able to get right up close with only one person against them you can make the pass, then simply just break to the defenseman and shoot.

Added winning tips:

- After your first goal with tidus pass around a lot and this is more so to run down the clock then level up because leveling up at this point does not matter at all.

- during the second round get tidus to the goal quickly even if he has to face off against 3 defensemen it does not matter because you can break to one and jecht shot the other 2 and still get a clear and high level shot on net. This is so you can use him before wakka takes over.

- When wakka is back go back to the strategy above and get him in close and venom shot.

- finally run out the clock again, at this point tho it should be 3-0 or 3-1 (if the luca goes feel like cheating haha), so it really does not matter at all because really you can set the controller down because there should be no way they can catch up in the time frame ( still to be safe just play it out and run down the clock)

I do not find a victory to be all the benificial in game progression but it does feel good inside to win. I wish the developers would have put i a cut scene of you rubbing it in the luca goes face.

I actually managed this on my HD playthrough, first time ever. I have little tolerance for Blitzball, it's painfully boring and dragged out, I pretty much just fluked that win on that match though, think I got it on my fifth attempt, and my patience was wearing thin by then. Will never bother with it ever again. Once is enough

I managed it the first time, but never since. I honestly don't think Jecht Shot is worth it - go for Sphere Shot instead because it usually gives you a higher stat than Jecht Shot does. The only advantage is being able to take out two defenders without having to break.

It's completely a game of luck, you just have to hope you can keep the ball away from them in the first half and that they don't get too many defenders on you to break to. The best tactic in the first half is take your defenders as wide as possible but not too far up, because they should be able to survive a tackle from their forwards and that gets you some really good XP for the second half.

I managed it the first time, but never since. I honestly don't think Jecht Shot is worth it - go for Sphere Shot instead because it usually gives you a higher stat than Jecht Shot does. The only advantage is being able to take out two defenders without having to break.

It's completely a game of luck, you just have to hope you can keep the ball away from them in the first half and that they don't get too many defenders on you to break to. The best tactic in the first half is take your defenders as wide as possible but not too far up, because they should be able to survive a tackle from their forwards and that gets you some really good XP for the second half.

I have never herd the jech shot being not worth it. I once scored a goal from well before the center line with that shot. I find the sphere shot a little random ( obviously)

And yes luck is involved but there really is a skill set and strategy to winning this first game as I have only ever lost it once on my first play through when I did not care. After I lost I looked up if I was missing anything special by loosing and it said no so I moved on.

Yeah I lost once and didn't feel like trying anymore. I just wanted to progress through the story instead. I don't think I had that ject shot move either so just made it that much harder. Seems like a complicated mini game and I'd rather not focus too much on it since I've yet to beat the game still.

The first 2 times I played through the game I lost, wasn't even close to winning. The 3rd time I went though it though I came out on top by 2 goals. It was tough. You get so many bad players to use in the game and lose Tidus, so I had to get my early lead before halftime. Definitely a cool challenge to go after.

I finished it within 5-6 tries. To win, Tidus's Jecht shot, and the other players' Venom abilities (tackle, pass, etc...) and the Nap shot is pretty valuable.

Jecht shot is pretty easy to use, that skill pretty much ignores two defenders. Sphere shot is good too, but you need good positioning and a free shot since even though I always got above 25, that remaining defender and catcher manage to block it.

If I recall correctly this game being the first you'll play will mean the players' movement will be set to automatic as default meaning they'll be making some shockingly bad runs with the ball and you'll need a lot of luck to win the match against the Goers. If you switch the movement to manual as soon as you're in possession you'll have more control over the game. If you're struggling remember you have the weaker team but the best player. Play keep ball to run down the clock and pass to Tidus whenever he's in a good position with few defenders around him. Playing on auto is a massive handicap.

I've honestly never won a match of Blitzball :sad2:

Your odds in the first match are just so bad it's demoralizing. If you recruit better players and are dedicated to building your team's stats up maybe it would be more fun, but I just never had the motivation to even try considering how badly I got pounded in the story match :P

Also didn't get the Jecht shot which I assume is because I failed to perform it correctly on the ship. But I call foul on that one, because the instructions are extremely misleading, and I didn't feel like reloading and going through all the cutscenes just to try again.

And yes, this is my experience on both the original PS2 and the HD remaster. I guess enough time passed between the two that I forgot how poorly executed the whole Blitzball thing is and I didn't prepare myself.

I actually did beat the championship match albeit on my third try.

I didn't have the Jecht Shot since I didn't really understand the instructions besides the fact that it was my Daddy's turn when we were playing through that part on the ship (he doesn't have the same patience I have when it comes to resetting and doing things over). However, I was able to win the first match with a 2-0 score with Tidus' Sphere Shot and Wakka's Venom Shot after he subs Tidus.

I wonder though, is there another way to learn the Jecht Shot later in the game or is that incident on the ship the only way to obtain it? I don't particularly need it if truth be told since, after recruiting Blappa on Cid's Ship, I pretty much have 9-0/ 10-0 victories in every match.

I remember the very 1st time I played X on the PS2 I got my ass kicked by the Goers. I didnt have the Jecht Shot, and I didn't have a strategy on how to play and move my players.
Ever since then, I always beat them, and I haven't lost to them whenever I start over xD

The whole game is rigged right from the start. :mad:

It's a game of pure luck and what have you. The only way I did it was Auto bc I hated Bltizball. Even with the Luca Goers in the first tournament, I couldn't careless. My sister tried after 3-4 failed attempts to beat them in the original PS2 days.

I never read the rules/etc. I never liked Blitz and there's no real reward for beating the goers other than a scene where the crowd is happy and the commentators announce the victory. Then you're just forgotten like it didn't happen.

As for my first attempt to do the tournament, I gave up. I had tried for the sake of Wakkas Celestial Weapon but I said "Nah sorry Wakka." XD

Back