Why i'm not excited about FF Explorers

Razberry Knight

Paladin
Veteran
Gil
For some reason, when i look at FF Explorers, i'm not in the least bit excited about the game. I'm not seeing anything that grabs my attention. Monster Hunter never grabbed my attention, so perhaps thats why. But really, i'm not seeing the attempt to "wow" me. I'm seeing SE reveal typical things about a typical game. I'm not seeing the "edge", the thing that makes it so unique, the thing that says "this game is like no other". And i know that sounds like i have high expectations, but for a monster Hunter-esque game, they have plenty of room to change the formula a bit. I suppose their trying to change the FF formula by adding typical Monster-hunter genre. But overall, as i'm seeing all the info being revealed, seeing even the release date which is set to release this year, it really bugs me that i wont be able to see more or rather wont be able to see a fully-developed game. i have a feeling we will release a rushed game, or just a game that doesn't offer much.

When you have a game designed to be focused on less story and more on the gameplay such as finding materials to create weapons and other items, you have to push those gameplay aspects even further. SE barely touched upon some of the bare basic jobs such as Black/white mage, knight, and beast master (i think). But i'm not seeing that. i'm seeing typical things to be revealed. IN fact, its like their taking it as an experiment more than a full-fledge game. The design of the characters look pretty "typical" Monster Hunter-esque costumes unlike the more traditional style of Final Fantasy. Battles look overpowered by attacks, but then again also filled with a lot of monsters so it may not be an issue, but then again it could be an issue if its designed for multiplayer/party gameplay. So my mind is very wishy washy with everything. I feel this game is designed for the completionist in mind, someone that seeks for completing every possible thing. And i admit i'm a completionist, but i don't enjoy it as the main gameplay. i enjoy it as an option.

WHAT DOES THIS MEAN?
Similar to how @The Common Linnets believes that Type-0 HD is a distraction, i 100% believe that this game is the bigger distraction. It gives SE a reason to reveal more without really working on a new story (or a detailed one), which means less scripting, or creating an original battle system, which means that they can release such a game within half a year. So thats why i'm not excited about this game. any one else feel like theres some red flags over FF Explorers?

Last edited:
I was never excited for it. To me it was "oh hey another 3ds game.... Yay....."

Then the more people talked about it, the more I thought it was just Final Fantasy in name alone. It seemed like either a Mana or Saga game, or a whole new IP.

As far as it raising "red flags," not really. I don't think they were planning anything on the 3ds, besides Bravely Second. I think this is more trying to boost sales, mainly cause the only major things coming out this fiscal year was kingdom hearts 2.5, murder:soul suspect, bravely second. Not sure when they were planing on Type-0 being released, but if that doesn't come out this year fiscal year, then they won't have a FF game (minus the musical one), to continue to boost the sales from last fiscal year.

Type-O raised red flags for the purpose it was a psp game, why would they jump a psp game to a ps4/xbox One, when they could do it strictly on vita and get huge sales. Don't think this FF is as suspicious as Type-0.

It's a handheld spinoff capitalising on what is big in Japan at the moment. The point of this game doesn't appear to be trying to push any boundaries, nor is it the visionary brain child of one of the company's producers, but something that simply "works" and is more or less guaranteed to have the home audience go wild. The 3DS is also a very logical platform to put this on, as it's popular in Japan, and Explorers can be released as a premium handheld title at a time when premium mobile titles have lost immense ground to F2P-ware.

The Type-0 HD situation is different. It's heavily demanded, especially for Vita, only to be inexplicably and unexpectedly announced for current consoles with the announcement coming in a remarkably lacklustre manner, along with subpar communication between branches that culminated in brief confusion over platforms. We have seen nothing of it, and it smacks of a rushed announcement hastily put together to throw fans some bone during what was otherwise a terrible E3 for Square-Enix, and also as something to throw out there when FFXV is still far from release.

This is roughly what I make of these two different upcoming games, and I remain convinced that Type-0 HD is the blatant distraction, rather than Explorers. The latter at least knows exactly what it's doing.

No, FF Explorers just follow the basic format of whats big in Japan. For a game follwoing a trend, it should do more and beyond. i "know" its not trying to push boundaries, but it can do a little more than follow the trend.

FF Type-0 is slightly different, but right now, can i blame SE for providing?

Personally from what ive seen about FFE (which isnt too much, but enough), it looks pretty cool. Job system looks pretty cool, i just wanna know if itll follow up like a tactics lvling system? can any1 provide that info?
It looks like itll give the nostalgia feeling to classics RPGs. IMO it looks liek dragon quest games for the DS which i LOVED. I can only hope its a good one :).
However with reguards to FFtype-0 being the distraction, i doubt that. i Think Square finally realized what the fans want. Sure its cool itll be in HD for the ps3 but why not the Vita as well? (I dont own a vita so i could care less) but i know a few Vita owners who are pretty upset about it not going to the vita.
I think theyll both be great games, but every1 has their own opinions :). I do hope it comes out within the year, but i doubt it.

Personally from what ive seen about FFE (which isnt too much, but enough), it looks pretty cool. Job system looks pretty cool, i just wanna know if itll follow up like a tactics lvling system? can any1 provide that info?
It looks like itll give the nostalgia feeling to classics RPGs. IMO it looks liek dragon quest games for the DS which i LOVED. I can only hope its a good one :).
However with reguards to FFtype-0 being the distraction, i doubt that. i Think Square finally realized what the fans want. Sure its cool itll be in HD for the ps3 but why not the Vita as well? (I dont own a vita so i could care less) but i know a few Vita owners who are pretty upset about it not going to the vita.
I think theyll both be great games, but every1 has their own opinions :). I do hope it comes out within the year, but i doubt it.
I enjoy those games too, but they all did something "different" and each had a unique style. To me, this is bare bones, and for me, this isn't enough. i need something that will "WOW" me. Not as a main title would, but something to get me interested in general.

FF Dimensions was a nostalgic feel to classic RPGs, and not only was it faithful to RPGs it did more and beyond to impress and try to be its own thing. I really want to play something i can stay attached to, and so far lately, many games have been designed closer and closer to the casual gamer on the 3DS. FF Explorers really seems bare bones. the idea sounds find, but i already have these type of games, why have another of the same thing only branded as FF (and doesn't even look that close to FF)

Back