FFVIII - Lost in Translation

NeoCrimson

Gil
In a website it is mentioned this, here the link:
http://www.lokasenna.pe.kr/ardente/etc./

========

There are 3 situations, of which the most important is that which I put below.

SITUATION:
When asked at G-Garden whether she still liked Seifer

ENGLISH TRANSLATION:
Rinoa: If I didn't, I wouldn't be talking about it.

ORIGINAL:
Rinoa: If I did I couldn't talk about it like this.

COMPARISON:
Huh? o_O I checked another source, and it bears out the story guide book, too. It seems the translators either made a huge boo-boo, or mistranslated on purpose to create a lover's triangle between Seifer, Squall, and Rinoa. Whether to go with the English translation or not is up to the gamer, but it seems Rinoa wasn't originally the "tart" she's made out to be in the English version.

Last edited:
I don't think previously dating a guy makes someone a 'tart' or that the English version of FFVIII seeks to claim this.

That's really interesting. Although, I agree with @charliepanayi Rinoa was not a tart in the English version of the game at all. Just because she had previously dated someone else and may have still had feelings for him does not in any way make her a tart. What I found even more interesting was the difference in Edea's speech in Galbadia. I much prefer the original. I never liked her speech in the English version, it seemed very confusing and mostly just seemed to be the ramblings of someone completely crazy. The original though gives hints about her goal of time compression and makes her seem more like she has a plan and is less of a psycho than someone who is intelligent.

^ Thank god! I don't know what the "originals" are, but I thought I was the only one who thought Edea sounded like a creepy psycho who sounded like she didn't know what the hell she was talking about or to who. Who the hell would understand that speech she gave as a normal citizen? Like wtf? I'm starting to wonder if the reason why I never really understood FF8's story was because of bad translations.

^ Thank god! I don't know what the "originals" are, but I thought I was the only one who thought Edea sounded like a creepy psycho who sounded like she didn't know what the hell she was talking about or to who. Who the hell would understand that speech she gave as a normal citizen? Like wtf? I'm starting to wonder if the reason why I never really understood FF8's story was because of bad translations.

This was Edea's original speech:

"We witches have lived in your fantasies for generations--foolish fantasies of your own creation. Witches garbed in terrible apparel, who curse and kill innocents with cruel rituals. They use merciless spells to burn green fields and freeze your warm hometowns... How boring."

Deling: ...?

Edea: Do you breathe sighs of relief because the fearsome witch of your imagination is on your side? Which of us is the one that dreams, fantasy upon fantasy?

Deling: E-Edea...What are you... Ede...! (Edea kills him)

Edea: Reality is not so sweet. Reality is never so sweet. So run, fools, into your fantasies. In the fevered world of your imagination will I dance for you! The witch of terror shall dance through all of eternity. You and I together will create the ultimate fantasy. In it even life and death are but an exquisite dream. Eternal be the witch and the fantasy! Eternal be Galbadia, her slave! ... Oh yes, an evil witch needs a sacrifice and a cruel ritual."

It makes a lot more sense than the one from the English translation. At least I think so anyway.

Back