Vita release still possible.

Razberry Knight

Paladin
Veteran
Gil
Many people are arguing about how Final Fantasy Type-0 isn't coming to Vita. i myself am upset about it. but not that upset. I still think there's a strong possibility it will be releasing to the Vita.

Remember that Final Fantasy X HD was originally announced for Vita only, and the outcome was Final Fantasy X/X-2 with a ps3 release alongside ps Vita.

There's also that hiccup with sony/Square enix. there's no doubt in my mind, they thought up FFtype-0 HD last minute and isn't even in full development. So they are still contemplating on the idea of Vita release, which is why they accidentally released that bit of info. (But that's just a theory).

With all that, i have some confidence it will be coming to Vita, and if not, we can all protest.

Actually I doubt it in this case. Final Fantasy X HD actually was originally announced for the PS3 and Vita alike, and it makes sense because the upgrade was minimal and both systems have fairly comparable hardware. It wasn't a stretch for SE to make the game run on both platforms. Type-0 HD won't be the same case, if the screenshots we saw were any indication. The jump from PSP to PS4/Xone is huge--remake huge, not just remaster. If it's out of the PS3/360's league, it's out of the Vita's league too. Sure they could make a scaled down version, but if they were doing that they'd probably release on PS3 and Xbox 360 while they were at it to maximize sales.

I've played Type-0. It is a terrific game--one of the most Japanese and most mature in FF history. But it also bears very much the same mood as everything we've seen of Versus XIII/XV. That is, I believe, a key reason why we're getting the game at all, but especially as a next-gen console game. SE is reinventing Final Fantasy's image again, they've committed to putting XV front and center as the standard for that image, and Type-0 fits along nicely in establishing that image further. But all that's happening on the PS4/Xone, not Vita. If anything I'd say it's more likely we'll see Agito coming to Vita, as it's comparable to Chaos Rings which got a Vita port. Haven't played as much of Agito, but it's a decent offering for a mobile game and wouldn't be a shame to the Vita as a platform.

I'm assuming its a remaster, touching up the graphics, and possibly reworking the CGI to fit the home console feel. but since Vita is designed to have the same power (at least in terms of CGI), i don't think it would be a huge issue.And i don't doubt FF Agito coming to Vita, but that also further supports my reasoning of adding type-0 onto it too. and again, too suspicious to get it mixed up. this was both SE's and Sony's fault, and considering how rushed it seem to announce FF Type-0 HD, they are at least considering it for the time being.With that said, i doubt the HD Remaster is going to even try to push the software capabilities of the XB1/PS4. It'll look gopd enough, but not "amazing" (except for the CGI, in which i fully believe they will touch it up)

To me this is 100% odd... Why PS4? Why announce now? Why not announce it on Vita or even PS3 still?

To me a few reasons for this.

Why PS4? To me this can only have to somehow relate to FFXV, and not in a good way... Can FFXV really be pushed back farther?

Why not vita and/or ps3? For me only one real reason comes to mind... This is more than a simple update... It has to be... If it was simple update graphics, it'd be easy to put it on vita.

In the end, I feel this is just a mask to hide something bad about FFXV, granted this is speculation as of now, but I don't see any other reason to push it right now on ps4...

If it was Vita, then I wouldn't suspect anything about FFXV, but PS4... Suspicious!

It has been confirmed that the Vita can be used as a split screen for PS4 on all their games. not the biggest support for Vita, but you get the idea.

I've caught word from Erren Van Duine/Kagari that Sony allegedly wanted to have Type-0 on Vita, but Square-Enix wouldn't relent on that.

Given that's all we have to run on, I would presume the contrary. This doesn't necessarily mean that SE has jettisoned all faith in the Vita, but perhaps they think PS4 and Xbox One would be the optimal direction to go, and that a third platform like the Vita might come at some unnecessary cost or something. Which is silly, given that FFX on Vita sold more copies than Lightning Returns did on Xbox 360, but I've given up trying to rationalise every facet of the company's reasoning.

By the way, reception towards Type-0 has been a bit lukewarm lately. I imagine it will also meet lukewarm/mixed reactions when it hits consoles, especially when we're talking about a game designed for handheld with its limitations ported to consoles - i.e. a totally different experience.

By the way, reception towards Type-0 has been a bit lukewarm lately. I imagine it will also meet lukewarm/mixed reactions when it hits consoles, especially when we're talking about a game designed for handheld with its limitations ported to consoles - i.e. a totally different experience.

Wow, lukewarm reception? Guess that's happening somewhere I'm not aware of. The fan translation that just released was met with huge enthusiasm and praise, and the game itself deserves every bit of it. The battle system is great and unique, the setting is engaging, the characters are compelling, and the story rivals XII in political complexity while maintaining XIII's cinematic presentation. The academy bits between missions strongly remind me of FFXIV too, and we know how well that's been received. Personally I'm more excited for Type-0 on PS4 than XV right now. It's that good. Also, look at how the FFXHD remaster has done. Apparently if the game is good enough people don't care if the mechanics are slightly antiquated or otherwise not up to modern console standards.

Wow, lukewarm reception? Guess that's happening somewhere I'm not aware of.

The place has its flair of the dramatics and hyperbole, but NeoGAF is one such place I've been reading receptions to Type-0. Generally, they're complaints about things like ability quick slots (I have no idea myself, so feel free to correct me on that), the fact that characters don't uniformly gain XP, that the world map has invisible walls everywhere, that towns all look the same, that the writing is not very good, and that the final dungeon is absolutely dreadful.

It does seem like people walked into it with expectations running too high that this might be a Final Fantasy to bring the series back to its graces or something, and were blindsided by what could be a decent game, but not a defining one.

Honestly, I've more of the impression that putting Type-0 on PS4 and the Xbone is more of a distraction tactic than anything. A means to get new hardware adopters to have something to look forward to that isn't a future FFXIV expansion, which perhaps also indicates that FFXV is still a while off yet. Ohhhh, joys.

I dont really know if the claim is a reliable source. i've seen rumors countless times, and due to this hiccup its easy to make such a claim and make it believable.

I've read these issues, but honestly the critique is more relating to restrictions, and for a game that needed to push for 2 UMD disks and have multiple game features that we didn't expect out of a PSP game, it was bound to have technical restrictions.

Am I one of the few who's excited about this game coming out on the PS4 and XBox One? It's possible, but it's a title I've always wanted to play. In all fairness, though, I honestly thought it was going to come out on the Vita.

Sure, it could be a tactic to temporarily satisfy those looking forward to FFXV coming out soon. Maybe just take it as it is, though? I'd like to think that they can't push off XV much longer anyway.

i'm happy that its finally being released, but not "excited". an thats because the game looks and designed to being a combination of Crissis Core battle system (i know its different menu) mixed with Dissidia Duodecim's over world. It looks completely designed for a portable game, so playing it on a ps4/Xbone will feel a little on the disappointing side, even if its upscaled to the graphics, the gameplay quality will matter.

Even after Square Enix confirmed that their games are fully compatible with the Vita. so i still have hope that the game will release. and if it is release, that's when i will be happy and excited.

Back