FFIX in HD - Here's what it would look like

That first post shows some amazing stuff! If the game were remastered and looked like those first couple of screenshots...I'd die. Yep, I'd die :monocle:. The castle is so improved and looks so much grander ha.

Wonder how the characters would look. They wouldn't really suit this smoother environment in my opinion. Could be wrong though. I just can't really imagine it, that's my problem.

i think the game would have to be remade. it wouldn't look like a complete chore compared to ff8 or ff9. but it looks very do-able.

Wonder how the characters would look. They wouldn't really suit this smoother environment in my opinion. Could be wrong though. I just can't really imagine it, that's my problem.
What is it with you and FF9?

What is it with you and FF9?

I just think the childish characters suit a more cartoony environment.

FYI, I like FF9. I've played it various times, It's just not in my top 3 - nowhere even close.

The screens look nice, but I can agree with what Smiff says- the cartoony look of them might not fit with the newer backgrounds.

Though, they would probably re-do the character's as well as the background, so it may not be an issue!

I have to agree also, if they made it like that, then the characters would also have to change, then you are basically doing a full remake by then... Which I'd have no problem with! :jess:

They'd redraw the character models as to fit better. Wouldn't need to be a drastic change but enough to fit well with the backgrounds. I can easily imagine it working.

Those pictures are seriously fucking good. I know some stuff like that is sometimes used as graphics for walkthroughs and promotional as some are familiar from elsewhere. VII and VIII will most likely have the same aswell, somewhere.

I don't think the characters designs would need to be changed to fit in with the backgrounds. The backgrounds are still the same style they always were, just more detailed, and I'm guessing if a remaster ever went ahead the characters would stay the same style too, just more detailed the same as the backgrounds are.

i remember how awkward the CGI looked, and really made me put CGI in perspective when it came to the ps1 era. with that said, I believe modifying the sprites would have to be necessary.

The CGI looked awkward? Seriously? It had some of the best CGI of its time :wacky:. It still stands up today and no one would bat an eyelid if a whole movie was made in that style, I'm sure.

Anyways, I agree with Shee. The backgrounds are only a bit sharper and more detailed; the characters wouldn't need much changing at all (maybe just made sharper and more detailed themselves). I don't see the issue there.

The CGI looked awkward? Seriously? It had some of the best CGI of its time :wacky:. It still stands up today and no one would bat an eyelid if a whole movie was made in that style, I'm sure.
i'm talking about from a design perspective. it was really off.

Anyways, I agree with Shee. The backgrounds are only a bit sharper and more detailed; the characters wouldn't need much changing at all (maybe just made sharper and more detailed themselves). I don't see the issue there.
i think they should look closer to dissidia's style.

afterall the game was designed to look cartoony.

I think the backgrounds do still look cartoony and artsy themselves. One of the things I love about IX is the art style, I would hate for them to ruin it by changing the way the characters look. I think it would be a very bad idea on their part to do that. I mean, people got angry when Tidus didn't have the exact same hair/eyes in the remaster as he did in the original. Changing their whole design style would make them completely different characters.

Have to give some props to the one who did those images. I'm sure it'd be pretty close to what a PS3 version of the game would look like.

But then again, I don't see it happening. :lew:

I personally think any sort of FFIX remake would work well in a cel shaded setting, or as a 3ds style like bravely defalut did. I do agree that FFIX went for a more childish design, vbut that part of the charm of the game. but yeah, cel shaded would work quite well for the characters of FFIX, but bravely defaluts style would be much better 'I really think bravely defalut style had a very big FFIX feel to it'

Yea I would role over if they re-made FF IX at least I'd die happy lol. But anyways that would be so awesome an HD remake of FF IX which in my opinion was one of the greatest successes in final fantasy history. Wish Square-Enix would see that and make a remake of one of its crown jewels in the final fantasy franchise.

Ack.. As nice as that looks, as awesome as it would be, I just really don't see this happening. FFX got a HD remake, but FFX was actually insanely popular in Japan and sold an alarming number of copies over there, enough to merit X-2 in fact. IX, while I don't have the exact figures to hand, was significantly less impressive in sales, and was actually very poorly received in the west at launch - nice to see it's gotten more beloved with age at least.

Of course, I could be wrong. SquEnix makes some surprising moves from time to time after all. Either way the images are lovely and it's always nice to imagine what could be.

Those backgrounds/settings are absolutely beautiful! I'd love to see this game re-released as an HD game, and I don't think they would need to make too many changes to the characters' designs. :hmmm:

I need to complete IX this summer - I'm halfway through disc 4! :ness:

Dude, i'm in love. :cali:

FF IX is my favorite game, and these updated pieces of the game would make the game a legend!

I know some fans weren't used to the style of the game as far as design,

but maybe if they did release an HD of it,

I'm sure it'd be selling out hard as one of the top.

Back