FFXIV
Aoife Linnaete
FFXIV Server
Lamia
Free Company
None
[19/06] Final Fantasy Explorers info and screens trickle down

logo38svp.png

Official screenshots have emerged of the 3DS multiplayer co-operative slash Monster Hunter-like action RPG spinoff from Square-Enix.

Final Fantasy Explorers will feature at least 20 jobs along with recruitable monsters if you're forever alone and cannot find like-minded friends to quest with locally or across wi-fi. The game takes place on a large island that as the name of the game suggests, you should be able to explore, with the town of Libertas serving as the hub town.

The quest? You're after the crystals. Of course you are.

nRB0Sp6.jpg
ae9gTv9.jpg
GPl6yBG.jpg
fVHXVN7.jpg
xmnVf0e.jpg
W6rXAIs.jpg
ZCxTsmi.jpg
TcwHAup.jpg
kDzah9G.jpg
LmNPekS.jpg
AHhepba.jpg

World View

From the rapid movement of the earth’s crust, a new island called “Amostra” was born.

An enormous amount of “Crystals” are buried on the island of Amostra, and those who gather them are called “Explorers.” One by one, they set foot on the island.

However, the beasts who protect the natural world stand in the way of the Explorers trying to gather the Crystals, making it a difficult voyage.

Crystals
The stars are the source of energy, which is being drained away by mystical crystals.

All life on this planet has been bestowed with souls of their own by the blessings of the “Crystals,” in turn evolving over time.

And now, humans have used the power of these lives to develop their civilizations.

Areas

• Libertas (Home Town) - The home base of the story. Here, Explorers can accept jobs that can be carried out in various regions. There is also all kinds of shops and an “Airship” to take you to different areas. At the center of the city is a giant crystal, of which there are different ways to make use of.
  • Regi Plains - An area players will visit early in the game. At the depths of the plains, you’ll find a crystal known as the “Grand Crystal,” which is said to be the origin of this world. By the energy of said crystal, the human race has developed.
  • Hibato Volcano - An area filled with magma. Within these flames of purgatory, the beast Ifrit lies dormant. The series’ familiar Bomb monster also lurks here.

Q: What kind of game is Final Fantasy Explorers?

A: It’s the latest in the Final Fantasy series. It’s a new series that will have plenty of action characteristics while focusing on the party play that requires strategizing to take on Summons.

Q: Please tell us more about partying!

A: Parties feature four members. They can consist of four friends playing together or even have one friend and two monsters, and other possibilities depending on the situation. Of course, you can also play on Wi-Fi to party up with friends who live far away.

Q: Once you select a job, can you change it afterwards?

A: You can switch out jobs prior to taking on a quest. Jobs are a crucial factor when it comes to playing with a party. Whether you want to be a healer or go on the offense, you can pick whichever job that would be most suitable.

Q: Do you need a lot of people to play?

A: You can also play with just one person. While we still haven’t shown it yet, the game’s system will have you party with monsters when playing solo.

Q: What exactly are these “jobs” from the Final Fantasy series?

A: They are basically classes. The Knights, who have high defense, are the shield that protects the party. The martial artist Monks have high offense to take out enemies. For heals, there are White Mages, and all kinds of other jobs with their own abilities that have appeared throughout the series.

Q: How many jobs are there?

A: There are dozens of jobs, so please look forward to future announcements!

G5X2ANz.jpg
RvvQcTg.jpg
tQ5KZ56.jpg
LPBrtm6.jpg

MyUQ25R.jpg
WUpHPcR.jpg

Siliconera, Gematsu, NeoGAF

This may be a buy after a discount or two. The fact that there are over 20 classes, how light-hearted it is, how you can play with mates online...I like. The main town looks so perdy too :monocle:.

I think I'll go down the black mage route mainly, but having seen that you can change classes between mission...I guess you don't have to focus too much on one class :lew:. I'll have to talk a person or two into buying it... Dinglberry @Paddy McGee

I see more Mana in this game so far than Final Fantasy :hmmm: Mana with job classes :wacky:

I'll play the wait and see card for now :elmo:

what exactly makes it mana-like?

if we're talking about visuals, mana series has always had a cartoony style with lots of forest. for the moment i can see why if thats the reason, but then again we've seen many ff games on DS with similar styles.

I'm loving what I see so far! :yay:

I like RPGs like this - I could already tell it will be an enjoyable experience whether one plays solo or multiplayer, although I'd opt for the latter when possible. The multiplayer gameplay will serve as a much-needed break for the FF series (MMOs, i.e. XIV doesn't count as multiplayer imo).

And I wouldn't take the art style too seriously - it's meant to have that chibi/cutesy look to it. I think it works especially well for a 3DS game. And the visuals look great nonetheless.

Btw, Ifrit is looking pretty badass there. :awesome:

i dont doubt it wont be a great game. but i still hope that this game has a great plot to it.

i dont doubt it wont be a great game. but i still hope that this game has a great plot to it.

If it's anything like either Crystal Chronicles or Monster Hunter, we'll say no. It's also an online game, so another sign that plot won't matter. It'll probably be a "chase the crystals to save the planet" situation.

Thats a real shame. i might enjoy the gameplay, but story has always made gameplay better for me. Hopefully its similar to Phantasy Star Portable at least.

Back