FFXIV
Aoife Linnaete
FFXIV Server
Lamia
Free Company
None
[10/06] Type-0 HD is coming to PS4 and Xbox One. UPDATE: NO VITA

bpynr-2cuaanzmtlns5x.jpg

UPDATE: PS Blog has clarified to say this will NOT be for the PS Vita. it is for PS4 and Xbox One only.

Well, after torrents of requests, an abandoned PSP localisation, and a painstaking fan translation project that only just released (sorry, guys, but your efforts are still very much appreciated), the company came out in their Square-Enix Presents show in LA to announce that Type-0 would be upscaled AND localised for both current gen machines.

14388493685_3751c7ed9h0pjr.jpg

Said Hajime Tabata, "[t]he voice of our Western fans was instrumental in the development of Final Fantasy Type-0, and we’re very excited to release this title soon...the new PlayStation 4 system and Xbox One gaming and entertainment platform have really helped to re-envision this dynamic and turbulent world of Orience.”

The mobile spinoff for Type-0, Final Fantasy Agito, will also cross over westwards.

NeoGAF, Gematsu, PS Blog

Gotta say, I definitely didn't expect this out of E3. But it does make sense--Agito/Type-0 fit the same aesthetic as FFXV does, so this is a good way for SE to carry on the new style (if it can be called 'new') into spinoff titles.

I'm just going to call it now, though: SE is going to finish and release Type-0 on PS4/Xone in 2015 and push XV back to 2016.

Possible screenshot

jK8FhCC.jpg

I'm just going to call it now, though: SE is going to finish and release Type-0 on PS4/Xone in 2015 and push XV back to 2016.

Why do I get the feeling after this post that they only decided to do this so that they could get more time to stall on FF15? -_-

They REALLY should release it next year, though, to match the whole "15" thing.

I find it funny and a little insulting they release this information right after the unofficial translation team releases their patch. Though I suppose it's not entirely their fault as this is E3 and all.

What I really don't appreciate is no Vita. What in the helly hell, Squeenix? The Vita needs RPGs and Type-O would have been gold on the Vita. I just don't understand. :mokken:

This is great news. I figured Square Enix would give us something good to make up for FFXV not showing up at E3 this year. I think I am going to get this on my Xbox 1 and then call it a day. I never played this game and never looked up any spoilers, so this is going to be a refreshing experience for me. It is going to feel more at home playing on a next gen console than a lowly old psp that is likely gathering dust in one of my drawers. Square Enix have not exactly been so hot lately, but I liked Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII more than I expected to.

Great.... Can't get a release on FFXV, So why not make another FF game for ps4/xboxOne :mokken:

Place bets on which one will be out first :wacky:

An opinion piece on Nova Crystallis makes for some interesting reading on Type-0 HD.

Basically, he argues that Type-0 HD is essentially a "distraction".

- Perhaps realising there was practically NOTHING to show at E3 apart from things we've practically already seen/released like Theatrhythm Curtain Call and FFXIV, a Type-0 HD was rushed out the door to try and pacify fans

- "rushed" because of no trailer, screenshot, or any further info. Certainly no release window in sight. They probably realised that since FFXV would not turn up, Type-0 HD would instead, despite it also evidently not ready for announcement!

- Remember the last FF remaster done by the company? FFX and X-2 HD? Announced September 2011 with no screens, no trailer, no further info, no release window in sight. Came out only late last year/early this year! They announced FFX HD at the time despite only barely having started it, ahead of the Vita launch, to try and pacify fans for the SAKE of giving them something to look forward to.

- Add to the further silence by SE when questioned further, the announcement's timing just AFTER the translation patch is out, and the dreadful miscommunications that caused PS Blog to claim that the HD release would also be out for Vita as well = SE seriously needs to work on PR, if they manage to annoy fans even when there are positive announcements.

tl;dr - FFXV is a way off and Type-0 HD was announced as a distraction from it, even if the announcement of the latter itself was perhaps rushed out the door and not ready.

Well, I'm certainly disappointed that this won't be released on the Vita AT ALL. It would've been the smartest move for S-E to make honestly, considering that the original was released on the PSP - the "upgraded" version of that would've been the Vita, no? Anyone heard of the #NoVitaNoBuy stuff?

I don't mind it being released for PS4/Xbone (although I don't have any plans to get the PS4 anytime soon). But why couldn't they do a repeat of X/X-2 HD and release it for both portable and console? Took them long enough as it is to bring it to the West, so I don't think fans would be complaining.

And yes, I also find it suspicious and somewhat insulting to make this announcement after a fan localization group went through the task of translating the game. Amazingly convenient.

i remember Final Fantasy X was originally announced for just Vita, no PS3 release. and then we didn't hear a word from it. then when we finally got more information, they announced it with FF X-2 and they annoucned it for ps3 aswell.

So...perhaps they are planning a vita release (which is why PR such as Sony and SE accidentally lt the word out on the vita news). BUt thats just my theory.

I find it more convenient that we haven't seen more new games at E3. even Final Fantasy Explorers which suddenly seems to be pouring out information.

Back