6 / 8 Ability Spheres killing Basilisks?

LanguageSponge

Ex-Soldier
Gil
I don't think I'm going mad, and I've been playing this game, or the original version of this game, since it released over twelve years ago, so not very much should surprise me by now. But I was just on the Djose Highroad overlevelling because that's what I do, and I overkilled two Basilisks - one with Kimahri's Fire Breath and the other with Tidus's Spiral Cut. Tidus's attack might have been a critical hit as well, but Kimahri's wasn't. I got 6 Ability Spheres from that fight - but even if you overkill them you're only supposed to get 2 from each Basilisk. I thought that was odd. But then 20 minutes later I did it again, this time with two normal attacks which both overkilled, but neither were critical hits. I got 8 Ability Spheres. Does anyone have any idea why? Thanks.

LanguageSponge

I think common drop Is 1x per monster and rare drop is 2x per monster so 6 would be an overkill common and overkill rare and 8 would be 2 overkill rares

i noticed this myself but that's just a guess anyway.

:hmmm: If I recall correctly, the HD remaster increases sphere drops... but I'm not 100% certain on that. Or you just got INCREDIBLY lucky... twice.

I think common drop Is 1x per monster and rare drop is 2x per monster so 6 would be an overkill common and overkill rare and 8 would be 2 overkill rares

i noticed this myself but that's just a guess anyway.

Yup this is right. It goes like this:

One Basalisk:
common drop: 1 ability sphere
rare drop: 2 ability spheres

when you overkill an enemy you get twice as many items, so that would be 2 ability spheres if you get the common drop or 4 if you get the rare drop.

So if you overkill two Basilisks in battle you'll either get 2 or 4 spheres from them. When you got 6 you got the common drop from one and the rare drop from the other, and when you got 8 you got both rare drops.

Last edited:
Back